WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post

Emerald doesn't want to monopolize WhiteBlaze. What he desires is more participation from local Pennsylvania hikers who really know the A.T. He's not sure how to go about getting what he wants or why TrailSquirrel thinks Wise Old Owl has hit upon an excellent topic and emerald, with a small e, has asked me to inquire what TrailSquirrel wants to know, but wishes for someone else to answer.

Dear Mr. Emerald:

Tried to respond to your PM, but you do not accept PM's (yet you send them?).

Journal Entries
    Images

Copy and past your reply and look at Emerald on the left column. Click on his name and send him a Email instead,
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I'm online and I'm presently set up for PMs from my contacts and email from everyone or so I thought. Give me a minute, I will add you to my contacts. Fire again if you are able and did not lose what you wrote.

I'm online and I'm presently set up for PMs from my contacts and email from everyone or so I thought. Give me a minute, I will add you to my contacts. Fire again if you are able and did not lose what you wrote.
    My response was...

If you don't think the topic is worthy of discussion why do you participate? My theory is you just want to continue old arguments with WOW.

Have at it and have fun, however I will not be a further participant.

HTH

Images

That's a presumptuous and misguided post in many respects, but suit yourself.

Amazing what results sometimes when I ask someone something so simple as indicating why a reader finds a topic interesting in order to determine how a thread might be tailored to that reader's interests.

If anyone wants to delete everything after post #40, be my guest. I don't see much to be gained by reading though the 5 posts that follow and it's done little more than serve to trash Owl's effort which may have gone somewhere beyond the 1st page.

Maybe he has accomplished what he intended, only he can say. Regardless, I expect to add information and links to page 1 which has merit or I wouldn't have bothered posting to it.
    Last edited by emerald; 11-07-2010 at 16:53. Reason: Revised and expanded remarks.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey I too sometimes abandon my own threads due to a lack of interest on membership... but she called back today and ask to see if we could find a few more, and alluded to what is going on here and there. Thanks Emerald.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

No problem! Hope to see some more contributions, but people need to get informed before they get political.
    Last edited by emerald; 11-13-2010 at 23:42.

Images

Default SGL 110 report

Baird Ornithological Club members turned out in good numbers yesterday for Kerry's Mothers Day walk on SGL 110.

Someone travelled from Philadelphia in hopes of picking up Ruffed Grouse, a life bird, and was not disappointed. Probably only Kerry was able to keep a tally of all the birds we saw including many species of warblers.

Much information which should be absorbed by WhiteBlazers is to be found in the links related to SGL 110. My primary objective in waking up this thread was to call these links to the attention of those who may have not yet read them.
    Last edited by emerald; 05-09-2011 at 10:26.

Well this is depressing. Yeah we need to get political about the AT and conservation. We also need to get political about how ineffectual it is to get political about things that really matter in the long run, but not in the short run because of the way our economic and political system is driven by short term $$$ interests. Threads like this just bum me out.

Nobody talks about vision anymore. Its political suicide.

Much of the problem is because those kids that haven't been born yet are such push-overs. They really need to man up.

Images

Conservation and active management of public lands are not incompatible. In fact, active management is required to retain the full compliment of habitat types necessary to support the widest range of species possible.

Many of the species whose numbers are becoming precariously low depend upon vegetation in early stages of succession. Some of these species include Bobwhite, Whip-poor-will, Ruffed Grouse, Woodcock, Eastern Meadowlark, Bobolink, Prairie Warbler and other grassland and shrubland species.

Meadows, grasslands and shrublands are not ugly, but beautiful in their own way, once their role in the natural scheme of things is understood and appreciated.
    Last edited by emerald; 05-15-2011 at 20:51.

I would like to know how much soil has been lost over the past 500 years. Alot of the place I hike you can see where there is erosion how thin the soil really is. Hard to imagine how it ever supported a forest of White Pine. Still, not sure how much organic and inorganic soil material has been lost in places like New Brunswick. Not alot of studies on such things. Not sure what sort of forest could grow back if we let it. We don't even protect our National Parks here from forestry. You would think they could spare at least 1 square mile, but of course that would set a bad example for all the other square miles. What sort of forest and forestry will be supported 100 years from now remains to be seen. It will only get harder. We have all these fossil fuels to work with now, but we are still using it for destruction instead of reconstruction.

Hairy Woodpecker in the old birch tree by the dooryard.

Images

Default Vegetation management on public lands

Gray Birch is a short-lived, early-successional species favored by the kinds of forestry practices employed by PGC on SGL 110. Areas not maintained as food plots are coming back in aspen, birches and pines which will provide habitat for Ruffed Grouse and other species dependant upon early-successional vegetation. As this vegetation matures, gray birches will be replaced by other species and they will then provide nest cavities for Hairy Woodpecker and other cavity nesters.

With active management of public lands, we can have many kinds of vegetation at many stages of development and the variety of habitats and species they support. Hairy Woodpecker can be found on SGL 110 in other areas nearby and on Weiser State Forest just to the north of where the bird walk occurred. SGL 110 also provides habitat for Pileated Woodpecker, another resident, breeding bird.

I observed bobolink this morning at Blue Marsh Lake Dry Brooks Boat Launch on actively-managed grassland leased to PGC by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers not 100 yards from a sign indicating support of PGC's efforts by many local conservation groups.
    Last edited by emerald; 05-09-2011 at 14:40. Reason: Added All About Birds link.

Images

Emerald wishes he could be 3 people. He also knows we have more Whiteblazers from Pennsylvania who could contribute, maybe more than any other A.T. State.

These individuals show up intermittently and provide information of the finest kind available. Emerald would relish standing down altogether or a more minor role, but cares about people who want to get the most out of their experiences on the A.T. in Pennsylvania.

He appreciates the posts by Bronconite and wishes he would post more, but emerald knows everyone only has so time with which to work.

Emerald doesn't want to monopolize WhiteBlaze. What he desires is more participation from local Pennsylvania hikers who really know the A.T. He's not sure how to go about getting what he wants or why TrailSquirrel thinks Wise Old Owl has hit upon an excellent topic and emerald, with a small e, has asked me to inquire what TrailSquirrel wants to know, but wishes for someone else to answer.
    Emerald wonders why it's deemed necessary to continue reposting the images from Wise Old Owl's original post. He also regrets he missed the presentation on Rosalie Edge and the reinactment of Conrad Weiser's funeral this afternoon at Conrad Weiser Homestead. He wants everyone to know he worked a double shift yesterday and is still tired, but expects to recover and may continue to post as time allows.
    Does Emerald always refer to himself in the third person?
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I would like to know how much soil has been lost over the past 500 years. Alot of the place I hike you can see where there is erosion how thin the soil really is.
    I remember hearing about this when I was a kid, especially in talks about the Dust Bowl and they would always talk about it WRT farming and make it sound like such a BIG problem. However, I later learned that soil is a renewable source, so the management needed isn't that difficult to put in place. But regardless, soil will come back on its own, no matter what you do. Unless of course it's the site of certain UFO landings, in which case the soil seems to be inert.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sickmont View Post
    Does emerald always refer to himself in the third person?
    No, he was too tired to post and someone else was posting.
    Last edited by emerald; 05-09-2011 at 11:22.

Images

Soil washed from trenched trails due to a lack of proper design or erosion-control structures is renewable when gathered and transported back uphill by trailworkers. It is less expensive and laborious to retain it where it should be.

Heck, fossil fuels will come back, if you wait long enough. That doesn't make our current practice sustainable.

I am not sure how fast soil forms. I would imagine it varies. I would like to read more about it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Heck, fossil fuels will come back, if you wait long enough. That doesn't make our current practice sustainable.

I am not sure how fast soil forms. I would imagine it varies. I would like to read more about it.
    If I remember rightly, without deliberate human help, soil rebuilds at around an inch per thousand years.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++