WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungOne View Post
    I don't think stinkbugs eat ladybugs...
    No, I never believed they were purposely imported to control ladybugs, makes no sense, since ladybugs are not considered a nuisance, for the most part, actually I've never heard anyone complain about them. Furthermore, I know some gardeners actually buy them to place in their garden to combat the aphids (sp?).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungOne View Post
    ...but it seems the compete for similar resourses. Years ago we would ge swarms of ladybugs, nothing crazy, just a bunch in the windowsills and under the deck in the fall. Now those areas are filled with stinkbugs. The more stinkbug you see in an area, the less ladybugs you see. Ladybug have always been a common sight here in PA , but I probably seen 4 or 5 all summer.
    I don't believe that either (but just guessing). Since ladybugs eat primarily little insects and stinkbugs eat produce. I don't believe they really compete for any thing. As for them swarming, the schedule of the ladybug and stinkbug swarms are probably totally unrealted.

As WOO said and from what I've read they, like many other things, were accidently introduced.

Images

I have heard that bats will eat these stinkbugs if nothing else will.
    They were everywhere in PA several weeks ago , within sight no matter where you went. Wanted to squash a number of them but was told that the "stink would stay on your shoes ", so I thought better.
    The proliferation of these nuisances certainly are unwelcome and their numbers are increasing. I found one on the outside of my windowsill last week and
    had never seen them in VA before except in the northwestern Blue Ridge Mountains.

I too had heard that they were brought here by accident , thought to from China or Japan.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I read on a lot of gardening websites and they're always talking about how destructive stinkbugs are, especially on sunflowers. I have yet to see the destruction, although they really do love the sunflowers, I see them on no other plant when I have sunflowers, especially in bloom, but I can’t see any negative effects.

Beetles are my major problem in the garden, especially on the sunflowers; they will burrow into them and destroy large swaths of seeds.

Never been bitten by a stinkbug, despite handling them quit a bit (out of curiosity). I’ve never smelled a stinkbug, as I understand the stink-issue, it’s only an issue when they are crushed. But even then I wonder how pervasive the smell is, seems like being outdoors would carry away much of the stench.

They probably are capable of biting, but like I said, never been bitten by one, despite handling them. However, I’ve been bitten by lady bugs – that’s strange, I’ve never heard of any one being bit by a lady bug, but I have, but I don’t kill them since they’re suppose to be good to the garden.
    I stand corrected.

I've been reading some more on stinkbugs and looking closer at my sunflower seeds and I've been able to identify a few (seeds) that seem to have been sucked dry. This is hardly noticeable since I don't have stinkbugs swarming here and there are so many seeds to one flower. So as of now I've been able to see the stinkbug impact on my sunflowers and tomatoes, but luckily not enough to really impact my garden as a whole; like I said before the damage to the tomatoes doesn't prevent me from harvesting them. I could see a problem if they did swarm, but as of now the beetle is a bigger problem.

Images

What do your bees think of them?

Never seen any interaction between them. However, that does raise an interesting question. I wonder if a wasp, since I see them all the time gathering pollen, would hunt a stinkbug as a food source for their young.

BTW, I'm about to call an expert on the monster bee I saw; I can't find it anywhere. But, much like bigfoot, I haven't seen it since.

Images

That's the first I've heard of that. Ladybugs are well known to be beneficial insects to gardeners. Do you have a reference?
    I have been told that they were imported, but can not prove it.

The one thing I have been using to kill them in water(warm kills them faster) and a touch of soup(optional) I already killed about 30 this morning when I was taking down my christmas decorations. I think on the trail i will bring a small plastic cup and use some of my water and kill tons So the next hiker will have a little less.

Quote Originally Posted by C Seeker View Post
    I have been told that they were imported, but can not prove it.

The one thing I have been using to kill them in water(warm kills them faster) and a touch of soup(optional) I already killed about 30 this morning when I was taking down my christmas decorations. I think on the trail i will bring a small plastic cup and use some of my water and kill tons So the next hiker will have a little less.
    I remember reading somewhere that chickens will eat them, which doesn't surprise me, I've raised chickens and they eat anything.

I think it would be worth a try if you live in a properly zoned area, if nothing else you always got dinner and breakfast just outside your front door.

Images

I remember reading somewhere that chickens will eat them, which doesn't surprise me, I've raised chickens and they eat anything.

I think it would be worth a try if you live in a properly zoned area, if nothing else you always got dinner and breakfast just outside your front door.
    I'm guessing they don't taste like chicken because I can't imagine chickens eating anything that tastes like themselves. I do remember reading that stinkbugs are used in Mexican dishes like chili or tacos. Also, I've noticed my dog eating them, but she's a golden retriever and eats anything (hmmm... maybe that's why I never have to clean the kitty litter?).
    Simple is good.

Images

A few years back I was makeing a peanut butter shake and couldn't figure out why it smelled like stickbugs when I saw none in the blender. I then quickly learned when i started drinking the shake that there was one in a small crack. That was the first time and last time I will ever make my own peanut butter shake!

I also know every now and then my dog eats a stinkbug, and I get to smell his breath for a while. I can say that there is no way that they not stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Well if the lady bugs are a food source for the stinkbugs, it is beginning to make sense. For the last 2-3 years the lady bugs were swarming all over the place, similar in numbers to the stinkbugs this year. The stinkbugs just had a plentiful source of food and few predators (chickens?.. as already mentioned). So next year we're going to have swarming chickens all over the place?!
    I don't think stinkbugs eat ladybugs, but it seems the compete for similar resourses. Years ago we would ge swarms of ladybugs, nothing crazy, just a bunch in the windowsills and under the deck in the fall. Now those areas are filled with stinkbugs. The more stinkbug you see in an area, the less ladybugs you see. Ladybug have always been a common sight here in PA , but I probably seen 4 or 5 all summer.

Images

(I'm basing this on many, many years of being in pest control) Like other swarming insects, I don't think Ladybugs swarm every year. You have peak years and then the population crashes for a few years. In 2005, It seemed it was a peak year for Stinkbugs, here in Lehigh Valley. We haven't seen many until this year, 2010. Perhaps a 5 year population cycle. In addition, 2006 & 2009 seemed like huge years for lady bugs. But I didn't see a lot in the intervening years, they might have a 3-year cycle and the booms haven't met up yet. (Watch out, 2015 could be a crazy year)
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

I would rather have swarms of lady bugs than stinkbugs. Lady bugs at least eat aphids, so I'm told. Stinkbugs... I don't know what they are good for except taco and chili seasoning.
    Simple is good.

Images

I found out one thing that will kill the in less than a second.... A TAZER! My house has about 5-10 in it a day through the winter and well lets not talk about when it gets warm. Well my dad decided to see what a tazer would do and well they died in a heart beat and they don't stink. I may think about bring on one my through hike. For to reasons #1. kill stinkbugs #2 safety in towns and around town on my thru-hike in June.

Journal Entries
    Images

They are attracted to UV bug zappers at night.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

They are not attracted to them as at my house we only get one out of 50 hitting it a night. But I will say they burn up for a while...gotta love the sound of a frying stinkbug

A few years back I was makeing a peanut butter shake and couldn't figure out why it smelled like stickbugs when I saw none in the blender. I then quickly learned when i started drinking the shake that there was one in a small crack. That was the first time and last time I will ever make my own peanut butter shake!
    Yeesh, I think I may even be traumatized by this too.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote:
    Originally Posted by john gault http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_s...s/viewpost.gif
    I read on a lot of gardening websites and they're always talking about how destructive stinkbugs are, especially on sunflowers. I have yet to see the destruction, although they really do love the sunflowers, I see them on no other plant when I have sunflowers, especially in bloom, but I can’t see any negative effects.

Beetles are my major problem in the garden, especially on the sunflowers; they will burrow into them and destroy large swaths of seeds.

Never been bitten by a stinkbug, despite handling them quit a bit (out of curiosity). I’ve never smelled a stinkbug, as I understand the stink-issue, it’s only an issue when they are crushed. But even then I wonder how pervasive the smell is, seems like being outdoors would carry away much of the stench.

They probably are capable of biting, but like I said, never been bitten by one, despite handling them. However, I’ve been bitten by lady bugs – that’s strange, I’ve never heard of any one being bit by a lady bug, but I have, but I don’t kill them since they’re suppose to be good to the garden.

I had never heard of anyone being bitten by a ladybug either until recently when my Dad said he was bitten by one a few days later I got bitten by one..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Half Note View Post
    Yeesh, I think I may even be traumatized by this too.
    I is a great conversion started I can say. Also the other day a stinkbug got into the coffee grounds right before it started brewing Luckly I was the first person to find out.

Journal Entries
    Images

They are not attracted to them as at my house we only get one out of 50 hitting it a night. But I will say they burn up for a while...gotta love the sound of a frying stinkbug
    Clean the grid and replace the bub - as the bulb ages - it stops pumping out the UV as much but appears to be still lit, even the manufacture says this in the instructions. We have a Gilbert mounted in the attic and it is full of them.

http://www.gilbertinc.com/711.htm
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

There may be salvation close at hand. That is, If they find the wasps don't destroy anything else.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++