WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: trashgiving!

Default See you guys in a week or so!!

Who cares about your carbon footprint? Hope to see you up here, details to follow tomorrow, i.e. 24 November, as regards location of event (we have a new one!) and maps/directions, etc. Sure hope many of you are able to attend.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Who cares about your carbon footprint? Hope to see you up here, details to follow tomorrow, i.e. 24 November, as regards location of event (we have a new one!) and maps/directions, etc. Sure hope many of you are able to attend.
    Jack it is just that same who cares attitude about carbon footprint that is causing baby Polar Bears to drown as the sea ice retreats. That is perfectly good bear meat going to waste that could have been roasted for the feast.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Never cooked bear.

If you know anything about it, please join us.

I sure would like to attend this event.....I've never attended any hiker get togethers over the years and this sounds like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Wow. Matty's posts leave me awestruck and speechless. For those interested, we will indeed be having our post Thanksgiving hiker get-together, "Trashgiving", and it'll be 3-5 December, i.e. in 2 weeks, with most stuff (and yeah, let's be blunt,most of the food) on Saturday the 4th. This is the only annual American holiday I know of devoted simultaneously to hiking and gluttony and it is open to everyone. Definite location to be announced within days, watch this space, but it will certainly be somewhere near Mt. Moosilauke in central New Hampshire. Details to follow, sure hope to see many of you there......
    I'd like to try to make it.
    Any more details yet ??
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default Trashgiving 2010!!

Wow, details. Normally, every year I write quite a lengthy post explaining Trashgiving, its mythic origins, etc. Will keep it short this year, anyone wants to see the full-length explanation of our holiday, do a Search here under "Trashgiving" and you'll find all sorts of fun stuff.

Anyway, close to 10 years ago, a group of us, mostly former thru-hikers that stayed in touch over the years, decided we REALLY liked the Thanksgiving holiday but we didn't necessarily like it with our families, or to put it a better way, we enjoyed the holiday so much we decided to spend it with friends.

So we decided to re-create it, usually the weekend AFTER Thankssgiving. For several years we did this at friends' places in Vermont and later in Hanover NH. In recent years, our good friends at the Hiker Hostel in Glencliff have hosted us. This year, we're at Big John's place, near Mt. Moosilauke in New Hampshire.

Details and directions can be found on Facebook, do a search (again) for "Trashgiving" and you'll find a page there, including driving instructions.

We'll be there anytime after noon on Friday and will be there all weekend, with most stuff (i.e. most of the food) on Saturday afternoon. People can pretty muchh do as they please all weekend, it sorta depends on the weather: Some people hike, some hang out. In past years, we've done some trail work, etc. Those that like to cook are more than welcome to help out in the kitchen. Those that just wanna vegetate and stay outtqa the weather, that's fine, too. Anyway, it's pretty open-ended and anyone is welcome, especially people new to Whiteblaze or folks planning to hike next year. This is a good chance to meet with some past hikers (there's usually around 100,000 A.T. miles sitting around the living room or on the property) so we hope to see lots of you there.

Anyone interested in helping with the event ahead of time, please write Jester2000 here at WB, he's kinda co-ordinating that end of things, and thanx in advance. If you just show up unannounced, well we usually run out of pie and bacon, but otherwise, just bring yourself and anyone else you like, and we hope to see many of you there. Thnaksgiving is just too much fun to only have once.

do you know the scene in starwars where luke cuts open the tonton , or whatever the camelike animals called, to stay warm in the frozen wastelands of planet hoth, or whatever that planet was,...?
    i allways keep that in mind when im with jack in the cold north. and a kabar in my sheath.of course only if jack was a useless corpse but still warm and i was cold,or i wouldnt. but if i had to to save dudes life, well, lets just say theirs room for two! lol.

in other news, i cant come. witch means theirs gonna be an opening at the dishwashing station. the warmest steamyest job one can volenteer for.

but if i could go, i would make my famouse hairball snack dessert. whats a hairball? oh its yummy.
    to create a hairball snack dessert platter you will need:
    horsetail licorice black and red
    licorice pinwheels of both flavors.
    licorice nibs of both flavors
    marshmallows on skewers
    fudge chunks
    twizzlers licorice both flavors
    a turkey platter

create a monster platter of weird licorice looking like a hippy hairdoo, surounded by skewered marshmallows weighted under fudge chunks.

Default Directions

Jast wanted to repeat that while I can't get PM's here for some reason, if anyone needs driving directions to this event (which is NOT, repeat NOT being held at the hiker hostel in Glencliff this year), they should write Jester2000 or Bfitz here, or if you're on Facebook, there's a "Trashgiving" page in the "Events" section. In any case, hope to see lots of you at the end of the week!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I'd like to try to make it.
    Any more details yet ??
    Head north and keep an eye out for hiker trash. I am cutting in from up near Labany NY so if you wanted to share ride it would be from where 11/30vt hits Rt 91on Friday night & coming back down that way sometime on Sunday

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    do you know the scene in starwars where luke cuts open the tonton , or whatever the camelike animals called, to stay warm in the frozen wastelands of planet hoth, or whatever that planet was,...?
    i allways keep that in mind when im with jack in the cold north. and a kabar in my sheath.of course only if jack was a useless corpse but still warm and i was cold,or i wouldnt. but if i had to to save dudes life, well, lets just say theirs room for two! lol.

in other news, i cant come. witch means theirs gonna be an opening at the dishwashing station. the warmest steamyest job one can volenteer for.

but if i could go, i would make my famouse hairball snack dessert. whats a hairball? oh its yummy.
    to create a hairball snack dessert platter you will need:
    horsetail licorice black and red
    licorice pinwheels of both flavors.
    licorice nibs of both flavors
    marshmallows on skewers
    fudge chunks
    twizzlers licorice both flavors
    a turkey platter

create a monster platter of weird licorice looking like a hippy hairdoo, surounded by skewered marshmallows weighted under fudge chunks.
    Condsidering what I have been paying for fuel oil this year I am just be spending time getting warm at the dish station in your honor Matty. sorry you won't make it but I am sure you will be there in spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Head north and keep an eye out for hiker trash. I am cutting in from up near Labany NY so if you wanted to share ride it would be from where 11/30vt hits Rt 91on Friday night & coming back down that way sometime on Sunday
    Thanks for the offer, but that's nearly 3/4 of the driving distance from here to Moosilauke. Hope to see you there.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

So it's getting close to Friday; just wanted to remind people one more time about our annual hiker get-together taking place this weekend in New Hampshire. Any and all are welcome to join us, especially any of you planning to hike in the future. Hope to see some of you there!! (Once again, for driving directions, go on Facebook and do a Search for "Trashgiving".)

Images

Forgot all about Trashgiving! Is anyone headed up from Ohio/PA????
    Bone Lady

have fun yall...........
    matthewski

I'll be heading out about 7:00. Gotta buy food and drink. See y'all there!

any surviviors????

Default their all makeing long island scrapple iced teas

sept for tank. his is a mint scrapple julup.
    dude will be the last one standing
    and love will stear the stars

this is the age of nimpharious.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    sept for tank. his is a mint scrapple julup.
    and love will stear the stars

this is the age of nimpharious.

This I do not doubt.

with the 39 inches of snow in buffalo on friday, im thinking hes got alot to do.
    we rest safe in our belifs.
    really hope they make a spelling checking thinggy that dosnt depend on knowing spelling one day. like a customized program where it studys me and adjusts knowingly. cause i cant understand the rules. double consenent. double ontandras. double vision. these are the words of the future misspelled in the present, forged from grunts in the distant past. the future of spelling? maby words could be made from numbers?like,....what if the number 374983947394 simply ment pie. that would be easy. i see numbers. and drunk people.
    matthewski

I was there for Saturday's festivities and everyone was in good spirits. Thanks to Big John for hosting and thanks to Jack for doing all the cooking.

Just Jim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++