WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    When my Black Diamonds need replacing, I'll be going with these:

LEKI Corklite Aergon Speedlock Trekking Poles - 16.6oz. per pair - $89.95 Free Shipping - In Stock

http://www.mountainsports.com/msmain...&Detail=175371
    Can I ask why? I was looking at both Leki and BD and was reading about folks having issues with the Leki Speedlock. The BD Trail Shock poles get really good reviews. I definitely like shaving about 4 oz with the ones you linked too, though.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Here you go!!

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Which are cheapest? That's what I'd get. It's just a stick.
    http://www.amazon.com/Pace-Maker-Tre.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

Quote Originally Posted by Torch09 View Post
    Here's something to consider...

Don't get the lightest poles you can find. Save your money and your arms. Yes. You heard correctly. My arms felt so weak after my thru hike even though I used hiking poles. It wasn't nearly as much excercise as I imagined. For my next thru, I'm actually going to ADD weight to my poles. Think about that!

I agree with this, you don't want to look like a T-rex after doing a lot of hiking. This is why I use all natural poplar poles. I let mine dry out for a bit then coated them in some lacquer to keep them from absorbing water. They are strong and not super heavy. I even added my own handmade wrap for a handle.

Images

I heard those new LEAFY poles are awesome you pick one up wear it out then pick up another. But i like the Leki Super Makalus not really sure who makalu is but my friend swift told me he has hiked a million miles and usually is seen with the swedish bikini hiking team.

I just got a pair of the Leki Corklite Aergon Speedlock (or whatever order those go in) poles. I haven't used them yet so I cannot say how they will do. They seem to feel pretty solid and the locks and all work fine. I am depending on the locks to work too since I will be using these to hold up my new Lunar Duo. As far as weight, my pair weighs 18.3 oz.

Saying all of this, if I were a more patient man, I would have held out about 2 weeks longer and got the GG LT4's too. That was my plan. But I am happy with the Leki's. Have heard great things from many people.

And I got mine from REI so they have a forever warranty...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

Two suggestions: wrap 6' or so of gorilla tape on each pole for emergencies and some extra weight; second, put some reflective tape on each pole so that cars can better see you when you are hitching or walking along the road in the dark.

WalksInDark
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

This is what I have.

http://www.leki.com/trekking/trekkingPole.php?pID=75

I got them for 79.95 and they have been great. I liked the price too.
    "You just have to tell them that you have a hunger and a thirst. And you may not sit at the same banquet table as them, but you have a hunger and a thirst. So they shouldn't judge you."

For all the people who claim that a hiking pole is a hiking pole, your terribly wrong. Just thought I would throw that out there.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

I got a pair of new Leki's off E-Bay back a couple of years ago. I don't remember the name but they are the speedi lock type with shock aborbing (slight spring) tips. They are great and were about half of what most chain store sports stores were selling them for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    When my Black Diamonds need replacing, I'll be going with these:

LEKI Corklite Aergon Speedlock Trekking Poles - 16.6oz. per pair - $89.95 Free Shipping - In Stock

http://www.mountainsports.com/msmain...&Detail=175371
    You sold me on these.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Can I ask why? I was looking at both Leki and BD and was reading about folks having issues with the Leki Speedlock. The BD Trail Shock poles get really good reviews. I definitely like shaving about 4 oz with the ones you linked too, though.
    After I bent my Leki poles in the wilderness I switched to Black diamond trail backs. I like them better than the Lekis and much cheaper. I am sure they are an extra OZ or two, but I don't care about that.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    After I bent my Leki poles in the wilderness I switched to Black diamond trail backs. I like them better than the Lekis and much cheaper. I am sure they are an extra OZ or two, but I don't care about that.
    Also, I hate the speed locks on the Lekis. They would often fold up on me at the wrong moment. BD has a much better design with the flick lock.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Just did my first ~16 miles with my new Lekis today. Was worth the cost (over my wamart poles) for the lack of blisters alone.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Also, I hate the speed locks on the Lekis. They would often fold up on me at the wrong moment. BD has a much better design with the flick lock.
    Leki also makes poles with the flip locks. I have a pair but not sure of the model name. For me the flip lock is a also a much better design.

I have run Lekis Makulus for 20 years and my current set is an mix of a couple sets of poles. Unfortunately the Leki Man is never where I am.I have bent one lower pole section in 20 years of hiking including an section hiking the AT.

I have found that with a lot of use the aluminum inserts that hold the threaded sections of the expansion sleeve get loose in the lower aluminum pole. They appear to be pressed in somehow but eventually they get loose. The poles still work but they acquire a distinct clicking noise. I have fixed them in the past by pouring expoxy into this area, but this is definitely a long term wear area. I also have found that the rubber grips eventually get damaged by DEET. I have one pair with a yellow skeleton appearing underneath what is left of the rubber. Boith of these issues are something that happens over year of hiking and most folks lose then long before theses issue occur.

I do believe that the worse thing someone can do with the expansion sleeve poles is leave them in collapsed position after a hike as there is usually moisture that build up inside. I pull them apart and let them dry out between hikes.

The one time I have less use for expansion sleeve type Lekis are in winter. In the cold its a bear to get the sleeves to lock and they tend to loosen up quicker. I am used to it but for many folks they buy click locks

I think all you can get here are personal biases rather than any sort of objective "best". My personal bias if buying a new set of poles would be to get the lightest weight pair of Leki's that they guarantee for life, which last a looked (a while now) was something with no carbon fiber shaft but still pretty light weight. And that will bend (and can be bent back) rather than breaking if you inadvertently stress in the wrong direction. I've snapped a c.f. pole in the middle of nowhere and been moderately unhappy for a while after that as a result. Then I managed to bend a replacement (Leki) pole pretty good on a later trip but then just bent it back and kept going.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

I've gone through a lot of poles. My recommendation is get the lightest weight ones you feel comfortable paying for. I think lighter weight poles make hiking easier. The cork handles do feel a little better than the synthetic ones I've tried, but they wear out quicker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++