WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    kicking around ideas for the next adventure 1Pint's Avatar
    Images

Question What's "hiker trash" mean and why is it positive?

Please forgive my ignorance, but.... What does "hiker trash" mean? It sounds pejorative, yet I keep seeing people refer to themselves as hiker trash.
    "It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." Train

Quote Originally Posted by 1Pint
    Please forgive my ignorance, but.... What does "hiker trash" mean? It sounds pejorative, yet I keep seeing people refer to themselves as hiker trash.
    You should not use words like "pejorative" if you want answers from us trash. We have to then go and find a dictionary. Even if we had a huge vocabulary prior to becoming trash, since we never use words that are not related to food, our speech becomes atrophied. We love being trash because we have the honor of not having jobs, we smell bad, are very hairy, and do EXACTLY what we want (as long as we hurt no one). In short we are the exact opposite of the slaves in the money world and thus trash. Not much use to Amerika.

kicking around ideas for the next adventure 1Pint's Avatar
    Images

Default ditch the lessons?

Awesome, so you're saying I can ditch the vocab lessons I'd been taking in prep for the trail? But what will I do with the money I'd set aside? And the extra time?
    "It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." Train

A quote...

...Of the brave souls who were up there with me, none were bounding around the summit like they'd just had a nice stroll in the park. None, that is, except the three crusty hikers who showed up just after I took the pictures you see above. They were twenty-something, self-described "hiker trash" who'd been traversing the Pacific Crest Trail (a trail that runs continuously from Canada to Mexico) for several months, and were plenty acclimated to this kind of activity. They loudly debated whether or not they should cook something (they decided against it, figuring it would take hours for their water to boil). They were gregarious and rowdy and energetic, everything I wished I was but wasn't. I was jealous enough to share my sad state with them.
    Read it here...
    http://www.bryanbeller.com/literatur...ryan43pt3.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    You should not use words like "pejorative" if you want answers from us trash. We have to then go and find a dictionary. Even if we had a huge vocabulary prior to becoming trash, since we never use words that are not related to food, our speech becomes atrophied. We love being trash because we have the honor of not having jobs, we smell bad, are very hairy, and do EXACTLY what we want (as long as we hurt no one). In short we are the exact opposite of the slaves in the money world and thus trash. Not much use to Amerika.
    Blue Jay I give you an A for
    this good info you provided to this hiker friend.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz
    A reference to Bryan Beller! I saw him with Z and Beer For Dolphins numerous times in Philly and <st1:city><st1 ="">lace>Asbury Park</st1>lace></st1:city>. The medley Z did at the Pone Stony is still the best live performance I have ever seen. Never would have expected him to be mentioned on here. But then again it is a small world.

Images

BJ,

I mean no offense. But why would you say you are of no use? Everybody is useful for something. Only in AMERICA (I haven't referenced a dictionary but I am sure that's how it is spelled) can you not have a job, smell bad, be very hairy, do exactly what you want (without hurting anyone) and not be persecuted for your choices. This I believe. Hike on, trash and be proud.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greentick18d
    BJ,

I mean no offense. But why would you say you are of no use? Everybody is useful for something. Only in AMERICA (I haven't referenced a dictionary but I am sure that's how it is spelled) can you not have a job, smell bad, be very hairy, do exactly what you want (without hurting anyone) and not be persecuted for your choices. This I believe. Hike on, trash and be proud.
    Only in America? That's a joke.

Everytime get back from international travel I am reminded how UNfree our country is compared to the other countries I've visited. This is one uptight and judging place.

But dang it, we do have the best trail system in the world, and God bless those lonely fools who can't get enough of it.

There is hope!
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

You should not use words like "pejorative" if you want answers from us trash. We have to then go and find a dictionary. Even if we had a huge vocabulary prior to becoming trash, since we never use words that are not related to food, our speech becomes atrophied.
    So "pejorative" is out but "atrophied" is ok? Any words found on the SAT are generally to be avoided, unless one is a gear head hiker trash.
    So be it.
    --John

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie
    But dang it, we do have the best trail system in the world, and God bless those lonely fools who can't get enough of it.
    I've always believed that "hiker trash" applies to anyone who just can't get enough of backpacking in all it's smelly, backwards, misunderstood, livin' out of the mainstream glory. The "not having a job part" I don't have that down yet, and I doubt it will come to me anytime soon. My wife and I still desire to keep a permanent residence.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Pint
    It's a term of endearment. I coined it in the 80's. Something to be proud of. A lifestyle.

America...land of the free, home of the brave, camping ground of hiker trash! Let freedom reign!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    It's a term of endearment. I coined it in the 80's. Something to be proud of. A lifestyle.
    Can't get a better answer than that: straight from the wolf's mouth.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie
    Only in America? That's a joke.

Everytime get back from international travel I am reminded how UNfree our country is compared to the other countries I've visited. This is one uptight and judging place.

There is hope!
    Wookie, I think you and I have travelled in different circles, internationally speaking. I think the US, including all of its shortcomings, is pretty much the best place to live in the world. I don't base my opinion on anything but my experiences. I am sure your opinions are based on your experiences. I am sure there are many things we wholeheartedly agree on (the trail system thing) and probably more that we don't.

Ed, I am with you on the permanent rez thing. Still working on the alaskan log cabin thing, but chances are slim.

Regards to both of ya.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Wookie likes it here, too, he's just a little uptight and judgemental...

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf

Awwwww..... and L.Wolf called me trash this year.......I AM special!
    Love ya, man!!!!!!!

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Images

I think putting a definition to hiker trash is like asking "Why do you hike the AT?" Neither can really be explained. Not all hiker trash thru-hike and not all thru-hikers are hiker trash. You know hiker trash when you see them. Same as you know why you hike. It can't be explained. It's a feeling, a state of being. Words could describe it, but you only know for certain if you feel it yourself.

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Default My definition via The Socratic Dialectic

Hiker trash --

Do you bath weekly?

Do you admire indoor plumbing?

Can you set up a 5 min tent in three minutes in the rain without a flash light?

Do you get excited when you see fire?

Is shaving an option you havent thought of in awhile?

Do you think of body odor as your own personal cologne?

Do you prefer to sleep on the floor on a 3/4in pad instead of in a bed? Or...

Do you have a hammock hanging in your bedroom? (neo)

Can you fit your life in 5500 cu ins?

Is walking 5 miles a short distance to you?

Have you felt a presence in the woods you cant explain but know is there?

Are you immune to mosquitoe bites?

And on and on....

If you can answer most of these as YES then you are hiker trash.

And to the line about freedom in AMERICA....

I dont know what countries you've been too, I've been to 89 on six continents total now including every country in S. America, the middle east, and Europe, half of Africa, Australia and New Zealand, Japan, S Korea, Vietnam, Russia and most of the former USSR. I aint never, ever seen a country with more freedom than we have that includes Canada. If you like it so much somewhere else, get out. Johnny Depp will meet you at the airport in Paris.
    You are in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentick18d
    BJ,

I'm not sure you will be able to get this but in Amerika if you are not a producer or a consumer (food does not count), you are nothing and thus trash. I am useful to myself and not AmeriKa. By the way, if you hike the AT you will meet plenty of people from other countries who are not persecuted in thos countries for being hiker trash.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjohnd
    So "pejorative" is out but "atrophied" is ok? Any words found on the SAT are generally to be avoided, unless one is a gear head hiker trash.
    I'd say atrophied is still OK to use... I use it constantly to describe my muscles if I stay in town for too long, or my stomach if I've been out of town for too long...
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++