WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The 2011 ALDHA Gathering

Hey everyone,

ALDHA is heading back to New England!

The 2011 Gathering will take place in the trail town of North Adams, Mass., on Columbus Day weekend, Oct. 7-9. Our venue will be the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, 375 Church St., North Adams...

This in itself is a good omen. The team nickname at MCLA is The Trailblazers! (Our very own Blister Sister is an alum!)

The preliminaries have been posted on www.aldha.org/gathring.htm and more will follow.

For now, talk it up with your friends, and especially with next year's thru-hikers. It will be an ideal spot for some of them to hit on their way home after they've finished their thru-hikes.

AND, they can take care of all their "official paperwork" at next year's Gathering to have their hike recorded with the ATC. If they do it by Friday afternoon at the Gathering, they'll be called up on stage Friday night to receive their official ATC 2,000-miler certificate and patch, PLUS they'll receive the first-ever ALDHA certificate and patch (brand new) congratulating them on their thru-hikes or end-to-end completion.

The new brochure has been posted, so head to www.aldha.org for a copy.

And if you'd like to do a program at the Gathering, like a workshop on a trail you've hiked or a subject that's dear to your heart, hit me up at [email protected].

Thanks!
    Bill O'Brien
    Program coordinator
    [email protected]

Thumbs up ALDHA brochure ~ Nov. 17, 2010 released today !

PRINTABLE ALDHA BROCHURE & FORMS ~ Nov. 17,'10 release ~~ see attachment & print to use

Robert Croyle ~ " Red Wolf o'da Smoky's "
    Trail Days ALDHA Hiker Reception Co-ordinator

Bill:

This is wonderful news and thank you for sending it along!

Thumbs up The ALDHA Gathering / North Adams, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Bill:

This is wonderful news and thank you for sending it along!
    Jack, my pleasure ~ you're most welcome. I just hope that everyone will find the printable brochure useful and will fill one out and mail it in ASAP ; to do so would really help those who are trying to plan the 2011 Gathering and to organize it .

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !
    HAPPY TRASHGIVING !
    HAPPY TRAILS !

Robert Croyle "Red Wolf o'da Smoky's"

more info at : www.aldha.org

Images

Default Hey Guys!!!!!

MCLA is a great new location for the Gathering. As an "Alum" - this was the first place I was introduced to backpacking and stayed in my first tent. The rest is history.......

The campus is the perfect and the location is close enough to all the amenities we would need. Feel free to post any questions you would be curious about - and once again - help us pass the word around!
    Last edited by Sly; 07-02-2011 at 12:09.
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Images
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Smile Gathering News Flash

word (from Bill O'Brien ) is that ,
    "Andy Skurka will be returning to the Gathering next year as our featured speaker on Saturday night. As many of you know, he spent several months during the past year exploring Alaska by foot and packraft, covering thousands of miles in all sorts of weather in typical Andy fashion.

..............he'll be a big hit at the Gathering.

..............Come spring, Andy Skurka's name may hit the bigtime among outdoor groups (if he isn't already there) when everyone opens their April edition of National Geographic and reads about his Alaska exploits and sees amazing photos by Geographic staff photographers. They underwrote his trip, so they're doing a feature about it. That alone, I believe, will generate a lot of buzz for the Gathering.

He has also agreed to do two workshops for us during the day, one on lightweight backpacking skills and gear, the other on some trails that don't see enough long-distance hikers (the High Sierra Route and Hayduke Trail). He'll be around most of the weekend to rub elbows with folks who will no doubt have a lot of questions for him, so overall I think he will make a fine program for the Gathering.............

That's the big news for now. Will keep you posted.

Bill "

also see : www.aldha.org

Default Newly revised ALDHA brochure (printable format)

2011 ALDHA BROCHURE (revised) !
    ~ see attachment below:

RW

Default Summer newsletter is out

Hi,

Just a quick note to say the summer newsletter for ALDHA is out ... the print version is in the mail and the digital version is available online for all at aldha.org.

There's a special 4-page insert on just the Gathering, with details on where we'll be camping, what other lodging is in the area for those who don't want to tent, what your choices will be for area restaurants, where the registration table will be set up on Friday and the rest of the weekend, a sampling of some of the workshops we have lined up, and other good stuff you don't want to miss.

Here's a link to just the 4-page insert on the Gathering:

http://www.aldha.org/newsletr/11gathering.pdf

Among the stories you'll read is news that we are moving the Saturday night presentation by extreme adventurer Andrew Skurka to a larger venue at Williams College. All other programs will still be held at MCLA in North Adams. And our campsite will also be located in Williamstown. (It's being donated by a former hiker and has a fantastic view of Mount Greylock. The Williams stage is also being provided for free.)

Check out other details on the Gathering at aldha.org. Remember, it's Oct. 7-8-9, 2011, in North Adams, Mass. -- that IS Columbus Day Weekend, so beware of leaf peepers and drive safely.

Thanks,
    Bill O'Brien

p.s. We still need more workshops to fill out the program. Think about doing one and fill out the handy online form at http://snipurl.com/aldha-workshop

Hey... Just a reminder for those that may not be aware, or forgot. The Gathering hasn't raised its $10 price in 30 years and times of free or inexpensive venues are over. After September 1, and at the Gathering, the registration fee will be $15. If you want to take advantage of the lower $10 fee now (until August 31) you can use credit card through Paypal, just click on the link below....

http://form.jotform.com/form/10562609918

By the way, you don't have to be a member of ALDHA to attend the Gathering, you just won't be able to vote.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Hey... Just a reminder for those that may not be aware, or forgot. The Gathering hasn't raised its $10 price in 30 years and times of free or inexpensive venues are over. After September 1, and at the Gathering, the registration fee will be $15. If you want to take advantage of the lower $10 fee now (until August 31) you can use credit card through Paypal, just click on the link below....

http://form.jotform.com/form/10562609918

By the way, you don't have to be a member of ALDHA to attend the Gathering, you just won't be able to vote.
    hey, that was quick and easy, thanks Sly, I'm registered.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    hey, that was quick and easy, thanks Sly, I'm registered.
    Thanks Red Hat. It should be a great Gathering and fall in the Berkshires is awesome. Be good to see you again.

Images

thanks sly, im registered, quick and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    thanks sly, im registered, quick and easy.
    Appreciate it. See you @The Gathering!

I got so excited in november ,I registered last year. If Aldha can use my 10 bucks for a while , I will gladly give it to them. I just wished they would have not taken 3 months to cash the check. Evertone have a sfe trip there

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    I got so excited in november ,I registered last year. If Aldha can use my 10 bucks for a while , I will gladly give it to them. I just wished they would have not taken 3 months to cash the check. Evertone have a sfe trip there
    Ummm yeah, that does seem like a long time. It certainly doesn't help the person keeping track of who's attending (who's not the same as the guy that's depositing the checks). Hopefully, it doesn't take as long for people sending in checks this month.

I just tried registering but paypal kept giving me an error message. When I called their help line, the fellow didn't seem able to help. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. Or I'll just have to register when I get there but I sure would like to receive a list of all the sessions in advance. Any advice?
    Trillium

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    I just tried registering but paypal kept giving me an error message. When I called their help line, the fellow didn't seem able to help. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. Or I'll just have to register when I get there but I sure would like to receive a list of all the sessions in advance. Any advice?
    I have sent in my registration. A list of all the sessions in advance would be very helpful. Hopefully it will be posted soon. Additions and changes are easy to post. Also, I want more information about the camping site. Does it have trees suitable for hammocking? (Dream on, Sawnie.) And what did Irene do to the area? (We've already viewed photos from just over the hill between Bennington and Brattleboro.)--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

This will be my first Gathering and cannot wait to see old friends, and new friends.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++