WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talking A.T. GPS Device?

Is there a hand held GPS Device that one can download a map of the A.T. to, even if it has to be in three sections (southern, central, and northern)? Just curious...

Several of us are working on it. Problem has been working within the route - track - waypoint limitations of handheld units.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Default A.T. GPS Device?

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    Several of us are working on it. Problem has been working within the route - track - waypoint limitations of handheld units.

Let me know when you succeed. I would like one...

Journal Entries
    Images

In the past someone put out a CD with all the coordinates on it for upload to Garmin and it quickly disappeared.

I am finding out that the trail is pre loaded on the medium priced models but its hard to read and spotty, the roads are drawn on top.

Currently I am building tracks that are in 40 mile sections across a state and can upload that way.

here is the GIS data
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...d_GPS_Data.htm
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 11-18-2010 at 13:22.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I recently got nice Garmin but it looks like I'm going to have to go back to college for another degree to figure the thing out.

Images

Am I missing something? I have a Garmin 450T (T for topographic so it already has all the maps for the US preloaded) and I downloaded the trail from the AT Conservancy web site (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...d_GPS_Data.htm). I think they try to excuse themselves and say that it may not be "pin point accurate" - but it's still pretty darn good.

Plus, I'm not sure, but I think my Garmin had the trail on there already. I'll try to unload the file I downloaded and take some screenshots to show the difference.

Default AT on Backpacker.com

Would this data help?
    http://www.backpacker.com/global/47

Met BP (the guy who collected all this data) at Neel Gap at the end of his SOBO. I use the profiles and they are the best I've seen.

Not sure what you can do with this data.

Default A.T. GPS Device?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    In the past someone put out a CD with all the coordinates on it for upload to Garmin and it quickly disappeared.

I am finding out that the trail is pre loaded on the medium priced models but its hard to read and spotty, the roads are drawn on top.

Currently I am building tracks that are in 40 mile sections across a state and can upload that way.

here is the GIS data
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...d_GPS_Data.htm

What is the GIS Centerline Data?

I have a Delorme PN-40. You can download the entire AT on it but you have to manually put all the Shelters and other places you want to stop. You can also make as many sections as you like to upload to your GPS from the Topo map progam that comes with it. All the Shelter waypoints are listed here on Whiteblaze.

I use Garmin and have 3 of them. The topo map has a very good portion of the trail on it, but you can download the way-points for all off the shelters. I have also been able to download the entire track of the trail to my laptop, but it is something like a 135,000 points. This is entirely to large for any handheld unit. I plan on just using the GPS as a back up for the trail guide, or if I get confused and need to find my way to the nearest shelter. Having a color screen model helps makes it easier to decipherer the information on the maps.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I recently got nice Garmin but it looks like I'm going to have to go back to college for another degree to figure the thing out.
    No you need to read the directions that came with it and get a copy of Mapsource to control the data. - its not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by StorminMormon View Post
    Am I missing something? I have a Garmin 450T (T for topographic so it already has all the maps for the US preloaded) and I downloaded the trail from the AT Conservancy web site (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...d_GPS_Data.htm). I think they try to excuse themselves and say that it may not be "pin point accurate" - but it's still pretty darn good.

The preloaded maps have the trail, but each time the trail doglegs around a road or object the drawing suffers. Have you uploaded and been able to view the data? there is a limit on viewable track numbers, one has to chunk the data into usable groups.

Plus, I'm not sure, but I think my Garmin had the trail on there already. I'll try to unload the file I downloaded and take some screenshots to show the difference.
    Yes its in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy Yates View Post
    What is the GIS Centerline Data?
    The conservency uses the data to manage important issues for the trail, their concerned with watching property lines, power lines, fires, private property butting up to the trail and working with rescue teams..Mapping Software. Although the data is public, the data was not intended for stuffing into Garmins. They tried in the past to offer that but there were too many limitatations and complaints.

GIS is Geographic information systems (GIS) or geospatial information systems is a set of tools that captures, stores, analyzes, manages, and presents data that are linked to a location
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Is there a hand held GPS Device that one can download a map of the A.T. to, even if it has to be in three sections (southern, central, and northern)? Just curious...
    Rowdy, I asked a similar question a few weeks back, so I'm following this thread with interest.

I hope StorminMormon is able to share some screen shots and explain further.

Images

Default Don't need a GPS for the AT

The AT is so well blazed there's really no need for a GPS. Why carry the extra half pound?
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    The AT is so well blazed there's really no need for a GPS. Why carry the extra half pound?
    Would you carry a map and compass instead?

Woo

Pretty hard shooting a bearing on most the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    I use my Dakota 20 GPS that not only has the AT centerline installed, but I have added comments to the waypoints, like, when the shelter was built, how many people it will hold, does it have a privy, tent pads, etc. I also have info on the various towns along the way, like phone numbers and hours of operation to shuttles, motels, post offices, restaurants. There's also info about attractions, it gives me sunrise and sunset times, it will show what speed I'm hiking at, the elevation profile of the trail ahead, etc. So that half pound,(actually my Dakota weighs 5.25oz with batteries) gives me all sort of useful and sometimes necessary information.

By the way, most of the newer Garmin models, Dakota, Oregon, GPSMap, Rino, etc will hold the entire trail with ease.

Images

Sure, the newer ones fit it, but I wouldn't say it's easy. At least it's not the way it should be. Assuming you're not using a map that already has it, you have to use tracks or waypoints that are broken up into sections or has much fewer data points.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well I am still on the fence - I just loaded a detailed track of Pennsylvania and then added a layer of waypoints to show springs along the way - Garmin wont display both sets of information at the same time. So I have to think about this some more.

Furthermore - small streams and springs are not in the preloaded maps at 1:24 approch trails and dirt access roads have to be added or well known.

The AT maps & books still have their place.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 11-19-2010 at 04:02.

Woo

Default A.T. GPS Device?

Let me add to my question with this one... which device have you found works best with downloadable data for the A.T. ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++