WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Therm a rest Haven 20degree bag

Anyone had any experience with this bag, thoughts? It looks great, no zipper and weighs 1lb. 6 oz. and the cost is $185.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Images

Have you looked at the Neo Air? I got the short for $130 I think and it only weighs 9oz. The regular weighs 14oz.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

This is a sleeping bag!

Images

Oh, I'm sorry, the Haven isn't a sleeping pad.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

No, a bag, it looks pretty neat to!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    No, a bag, it looks pretty neat to!
    I meant to say sleeping bag.

Where did you find one for that cheap? Its only 700-fill but you can't beat that price and thats extremely light.
    -Edward Abbey

OMC.com, a really good looking bag for the price, I would like to hear from someone thats owned one though. I'm really considering this bag!!!!!!!!!! You have a bag already???

Images

Yeah, I kinda splurged and bought a Western Mountaineering Ultralight.
    -Edward Abbey

Can't go wrong with that for sure, a great bag, pricey but the best no doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Images

Can't go wrong with that for sure, a great bag, pricey but the best no doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope it works out.

Have you been to this site?
    -Edward Abbey

Images

How about a link?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    How about a link?
    Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Have you been to this site?
    Click the word "this" left of the dancing banana.
    -Edward Abbey

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

OMC.com, a really good looking bag for the price,
    It's actually e-OMC.com (Oregon Mountain Community). Here's the link to the bag at the sale price.

I have a 20-degree rated WM UltraLite also that weighs in at 26 ounces (the latest version states 27 ounces). I pair it with a shortie NeoAir at 9 ounces, with my pack under my feet.

It looks as if you'd really need a full-length pad with the Haven to make it work, which results in a comparable total weight (22 ounces for the bag plus 14 ounces for a full-length NeoAir), and you give up the flexibility of a full-length zipper. However, if they used 800-fill down then that would likely tip the weight equation in the Haven's favor.
    Last edited by Kerosene; 11-19-2010 at 22:30.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Interesting design. I'm sure it's great for some people. I piss too many times in the night while I'm hiking, so that bag is definitely not for me....although it might be possible to do my business from the bottom hole... I'm thinking it would be much warming without using the pad straps. Put the pad outside of the bag, shake the down to the middle, and then tuck as much empty fabric beneath your body as possible. At least that's how I'd do it if I was expecting a cold night.

Images

Interesting design. I piss too many times in the night while I'm hiking
    Same here. For some reason I turn into Seabiscuit when I'm on the trail.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Backpackinglight recently posted a review about this bag. It looks good and could be even better with higher quality down, thinner fabric and slightly revised baffles. It's a good first attempt though.

Images

I just wouldn't buy a bag without a zipper - 1) no easy way to regulate temperature, 2) more difficult to get in and out of.

I had a half zip bag and replaced it with a full zip for just these reasons. I can't imagine a no zip bag being anything but a PIA.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

You didn't read the review?

Images

Thumbs down No zipper - two thumbs down

You didn't read the review?
    Who? Me? I read reviews at http://gearjunkie.com/therm-a-rest-h...p-sleeping-bag , http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7987596 , and 2 reviews at REI. It was comfortable at 30° per the gearjunkie review and 20° per the REI review. But the true EN comfort rating is for 30°. 20° is the survival rating. So how comfortable is it at 40°, 50°, 60°, etc? No full zipper means no easy way to regulate the warmth of the bag with changing temperatures. A foot box zip isn't going to do it. And according to a reviewers at REI it is very difficult for people with broad shoulders to enter the bag and one basically said it was okay for minimalists and gram counters. The other downside is that if you find you don't like it, not as many people are going to want to buy a used bag without a zipper - even most "gram counters".

I'd look for a new or lightly used WM or FF or Montbell UL Spiral Hugger at the same temp rating - or just suck it up and spend the money for a bag that I know is going to perform across a range of temperatures - and hold its value. If you shop carefully and aren't in a big rush you can get a good deal on a premium bag - I just bought a new WM Caribou on eBay as my new summer bag for $190 shipped (about $100 off retail). Why? Because my 1/2 zip Sierra Designs bag just didn't cut it for me as far as overall comfort / temperature regulation.

If there's generally one place not to look to cut costs on gear it's on a quality sleeping bag, and almost ever hiker will agree on this. Just my opinion though, so feel free to reject it.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Edit: (yeah, I have to make another donation at some point )

The 20° rating is the EN 13537 "COMFORT LIMIT" - not "survival" rating as I wrote in the previous post.
    The EN 13537 comfort rating is 30°

So I'd be comparing it warmth, weight, and price wise to 30° bags from WM, FF, etc. - not 20° bags.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++