WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Get a doctor first recommend a sport medicine doc and elevate and Ice.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Walker View Post
    It was hurting on the inside at the knee cap. Theatment has been RICE, rest, ice, compression, (knee brace that was my wife's), and elevation. I also take celebrex. Exercising doesn't hurt, until I squat too deep and bent the knee which causes it to flair-up again. I hope I can completey recover before hitting the AT again nxt spring. Any suggestions?
    It sounds like a partial meniscus tear although an MRI may not give a definitive answer.
    I had similar inside knee pain 3 years ago and had an MRI which proved I had arthritis with a poss. small meniscus tear.

Decision for me was simple exercises and RICE treatment. So far ,so good .
    Does my knee ever bother me anymore ? I'd be lying if I said no .

A Meniscectomy would trim off the brittle ends that are causing my occasional knee pain but until that day comes I'll simply keep exercising and being smart about using proper body mechanics.

Good Luck !

www.orthopedics.about.com/cs/meniscusinjuries
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

This is identical to what happened to me in Sept when I did my first Section-Springer to Neels. The last two miles decending Blood MT. is what did it.
    I hurt my right knee over 20 years ago while running. The Doc said slightly torn cartilage. It has gotten better over the years as long as I dont run. I was worried about how it would hold up on the hike, but it did great. But the left knee starting hurting coming down Blood and three weeks later after I went went to the Dr, he thought it was from arthritis. It was hurting on the inside at the knee cap. Theatment has been RICE, rest, ice, compression, (knee brace that was my wife's), and elevation. I also take celebrex. Exercising doesn't hurt, until I squat too deep and bent the knee which causes it to flair-up again. I hope I can completey recover before hitting the AT again nxt spring. Any suggestions?
    My brother said going down Blood Mtn a few weeks ago was making his knees hurt really badly. I was fine and I was using my trekking poles. I didn't take my poles to stone mtn and thats where my problem started.
    I think the moral of this story is just use your dang poles!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    My brother said going down Blood Mtn a few weeks ago was making his knees hurt really badly. I was fine and I was using my trekking poles. I didn't take my poles to stone mtn and thats where my problem started.
    I think the moral of this story is just use your dang poles!
    Where is the "like" button for this site?

"You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Images

.... I hope I can completey recover before hitting the AT again nxt spring. Any suggestions?
    For what it's worth, I've found that how I place my feet while hiking makes a big difference in my inside-the-right-knee pain. If I turn my right foot slightly in on each step, I have much less pain at the end of the day. The mechanics of this make no sense to me, but it works.
    Of course, putting as much weight as possible on my poles on downhills, and staying off pavement help a lot, too.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

I broke down and went to the Dr today.
    And basically after poking and prodding and xrays he came to the conclusion that my knee and ligaments were all good.
    He said there could be some cartiledge damage but they only way that could be determined is to go to a knee dr and let him peek inside with one of those scopy thingies.
    He said i was to rest my knee for 10 days. No hiking or exercising. After 10 days I should give it another try. But he said I should take it easy because I have a spelunking trip in December that I want to be in good shape for.
    He said i have to use my trekking poles. No ifs, ands or butts. That if i go on a maintenance trip I couldnt carry any equipment cause I have to use my poles. This isnt going to make me very popular at ALL! I hope my short lived career as a trail maintainer isnt over!
    I'm suppose to minimize my pack and carry only what is essential. Now I dont know if this is a short term thing or a long term thing.
    He said a brace wouldn't do any good and could cause pain in new and exciting places.
    I'm going to be very bored this weekend!

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Ok, I know this advice is going to be very controversial...

But some of the latest research (still not accepted by the "medical establishment") is beginning to indicate that a lot of the back, hip, and knee pain endemic to Western cultures is in fact caused by shoes.

Not BAD shoes, but just shoes in general, even the "good supportive" kind... in fact, the most high-tech arch-supporting anti-pronating shoes may be the worst offenders. Obviously, this flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but hear me out.

The theory is that shoes interfere with the natural shock-absorbing functions of the three main arches of the foot. The easiest way to picture it is to think of the shock absorbers in your car. They are made to flex, compress, and expand under force, to prevent the jolts of the road from being felt by riders in the car... but if you put "support" on the shock absorbers, in the form of a bar that keeps them from compressing and/or packing them in absorbant cotton, you essentially render them useless. You turn your springy shock absorber into a stiff stick, and all the jolts of the road are transferred right into the passenger compartment.

The theory is that feet work the same way. They are designed to move in a particular way that minimizes shock to other parts of the body. The big central arch flexes, compresses, and springs back. The arch of the big toe lets you push off for the next step with a minimum of knee strain.

But feet in shoes can't do that. Shoes force your big toe to turn inward, and bring that push-off strain to the middle of your foot, where it sets off a chain reaction in the muscles up your leg to the knee. (Ever notice how people who have been wearing pointy-toed shoes all day automatically rub the middle of their forefoot when they take them off?). Arch supports keep your feet from their natural flex. These DO provide pain relief to people who have had "arch trouble"-- in the same way that a cast provides relief to someone with a broken leg. If you've never gone barefoot and strengthened your arches, then you will have arch trouble, but keeping your foot constantly in the "brace" of a shoe just exacerbates the problem long-term.

The best support for this theory, at least until they can do controlled long-term studies, is the fact that in societies where people habitually go barefoot, these foot, knee, and back problems are almost unheard-of. Even in Western culture, injuries among runners have skyrocketed since Nike invented the whole concept of the "running shoe."

Among the small but growing number of experts who advocate barefooting as a cure for these kinds of ailments, it is generally agreed that it is not wise to plunge into it full-time if you've been wearing "supportive" shoes all your life, any more than you would run a marathon the day after getting your leg out of a cast. You have to build up to it gradually, building your muscles and allowing your foot to return to its natural shape over time, as you also toughen up your soles to handle different kinds of terrain.

If you're interested in this and want more information, I would recommend The Barefoot Book by Dr. Daniel Howell (available on Amazon). (Disclaimer: I contributed a couple of pages to this book about my own experience.) For a quick free primer on the subject, you can look at his blog: http://barefootprof.blogspot.com/ He's done several recent posts on foot mechanics.

Hope all this info is helpful to someone. :-)
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++