WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by K.B. View Post
    Chance,

I believe everyone has a successful hike, no matter how far we walk.
    Unless you get struck my lightning or get squished by a big rock or a large mammal eats you or you **** your pants.

This kind of attitude is fine to have as a personal philosophy but it's a little disrespectful to people who enjoy the trails in a different way by more or less saying their accomplishment as they see it is invalid. If someone wants to risk failure by defining success in a specific manner you should be open to acknowledging their potential for failure because to not do it is to disregard their personal success.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I hike so I can drink beer. And eat burgers. But mainly for the beer.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I don't mean to get pissy about Triple Crowners, I will be one next yr when I finish up the 800 miles of the CDT I didn't get to hike this yr, but I personally know at least 25 hikers who will claim to be Triple Crowners, who I KNOW FOR A FACT, because I hiked with them or at the same time as them on the same trail as them, that DID NOT HIKE all of the trail(s) as they are so claining!
    LOL.. That's what some others are going to say about you when you apply. He didn't hike the whole thing! Of course, they don't know all of what you did, when, and neither do you, so stop troubling yourself over someone elses hike.

This kind of attitude is fine to have as a personal philosophy but it's a little disrespectful to people who enjoy the trails in a different way by more or less saying their accomplishment as they see it is invalid.

How is this disrespectful? How does KB's statement make others accomplishments invalid? I am confused by your statement.

whoops I was trying to quote, how do you quote anyway : )

Images

I met a hiker who was as big of a purist as they come and from my understanding he has a double triple crown and when i asked him about the triple crown he said "triple what im just out for a walk."

Default All 11

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    How about taking it a step further (literally and figuratively). Has anyone hiked the full length of all 11 national scenic trails?
    Bart Smith is the only person to hike all 11 National Scenic Trails, although
    Eb Eberhardt is slated to complete his last two trails this summer. He has already hiked 9 of them. His website is
    www.nimblewillnomad.com

Eb hikes the trails in a thru hike fashion while Bart is reportedly a section hiker.

regards from me, Tman

Writer/Hiker/Appalachian Trail 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ronmoak View Post
    Actually there's no requirement to be a member of ALDHA-West to be listed. One simply has to submit their details to the Triple Crown Coordinator. Also getting a Triple Crown Plaque does not require membership.

That said, I'd agree that there are certainly more Triple Crowners than are listed on the ALDHAWest website.

Ron
    I know at least one. (grin)

Writer/Hiker/Appalachian Trail 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ronmoak View Post
    Actually there's no requirement to be a member of ALDHA-West to be listed. One simply has to submit their details to the Triple Crown Coordinator. Also getting a Triple Crown Plaque does not require membership.

That said, I'd agree that there are certainly more Triple Crowners than are listed on the ALDHAWest website.

Ron
    Ron, something tells me we know each other, some murky distant memory. Were you Falling Water, PCT 2007? I think we met in the desert, after you'd done some crazy long day and looked about dead. I went by HH back then.

Best,

Skid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++