WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I don't know about that in today's world.
    Who is John Galt?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Oh darn I got mormon and mennonite confused - sorry.
    Yeah, Mormons just look like regular people. The fundamentalist Mormons dress similar to Mennonites, except they don't wear bonnets.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    12 weeks at Paris Island might straighten his ass out.
    ... or make him into one world class super-sociopath. ...
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

planning a Thru-Hike cindellasaurus's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    you could be on to something here but my guess is he didnt have the sack to make it all the way.
    You're right, they quit after the hundred mile wilderness. The last I heard "Jerkwad" was telling people it was my fault they had to end their hike.? I'm not sure how this is possible.. considering I left after 1 day.

Mormon hikers.. well, we knew they were mormon, or assumed, because the women hikers were wearing long dresses that you see on TV and such with bonnets that covered their hair.The men carried all the supplies, and there were 9 women and only 3 men. I suppose that's a stereotypical description, and we shouldn't have assumed, and could even have been wrong, not that it mattered whether they were or not.

Quote Originally Posted by StorminMormon View Post
    And Mormon hikers aren't that bad. Trust me.
    Oh don’t worry, I thought the Mormon hikers were perfectly nice, they all said “hello” and asked how we were, and they were full of smiles which is why I was particularly embarrassed when Jerkwad yelled about hating Mormons. There was no reason for it.

Also, I dont think it would have taken 13 hours at all if we hadnt stopped a million times, and those of you who said I should have gone on, I think you're right. At the time we all planned to stay together, and I just didnt think about going ahead. I wish I had! As for the "other guy" that you asked about, he just thought that Jerkwad was funny. No matter how many times I asked Jerkwad to tone it down, he completely ignored me, and the other guy didnt bother to speak up. I got the feeling that Jerkwad thought because I was a girl that I didnt belong there.

LUCKILY Jerkwad IS NOT my boyfriend! Prior to the hike he always seemed pretty normal. He was quiet and I felt like maybe he doubted how much I really wanted to hike, but I didnt think he was going to go around stabbing trees and setting caterpillars on fire.!

I think I'll definitely hike alone next time, or at least with someone whom I've spent a significant amount of time in the woods with, so as to make sure they aren't completely loopy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cindellasaurus View Post
    Mormon hikers.. well, we knew they were mormon, or assumed, because the women hikers were wearing long dresses that you see on TV and such with bonnets that covered their hair.The men carried all the supplies, and there were 9 women and only 3 men. I suppose that's a stereotypical description, and we shouldn't have assumed, and could even have been wrong, not that it mattered whether they were or not.
    Sounds like they might've been Mennonite. I any event, he was a jerkwad to catcall at them for their religion. You picked a great trail name for him!

At the time we all planned to stay together, and I just didnt think about going ahead. I wish I had!
    Getting yourself as far away as possible from J/w as soon as possible was absolutely the right call, Cin. Well judged! And you likely were so disturbed and discomfited that going out into the 100 miles, trying to stay ahead of J/w or, worse, trying to stay behind him and not catch up, would have been a stinking expedition for you. Maine's trail is plenty difficult enough without all that hassle and drama. I think you made the right call under the circumstances.

LUCKILY Jerkwad IS NOT my boyfriend! Prior to the hike he always seemed pretty normal. He was quiet and I felt like maybe he doubted how much I really wanted to hike, but I didnt think he was going to go around stabbing trees and setting caterpillars on fire.!
    Thank God for small blessings is a saying even atheists can agree to now and then.

I think I'll definitely hike alone next time, or at least with someone whom I've spent a significant amount of time in the woods with, so as to make sure they aren't completely loopy!
    Biggest, most important lesson learned! Something tells me that you'll have a much better experience next time. Many happy trails to you, and welcome to White Blaze!

Hey Cin! Don't let this experience change your mind about the Trail. I would bet you anything that within the first 3 days out you'll find somebody that's so kind that it will balance out Jerkwads karma! HYOH

To come back a bit on the thread, if you are from NH there are plenty of opportunities to go hiking with people in the whites year round. If you are willing to ask questions and observe, you will get some trail skills plus have a chance to decide who you do and dont like to hike with. Obviously you picked a wrong partner once and its highly likely it may happen again unless you can go hiking with them for a couple of weekend and week long trips prior to the AT. That is why most folks start solo and then figure out who they get along with. I expect its rare for two people to go together the whole way unless they are married or in signficant relationship.

For NH groups to get experience hiking, the various meetup groups in southern NH and Eastern Mass have a lot of day hikes most weekends, NH Chapter of AMC and the Maine chapter of the AMC also run trips. There is also the Viewsfromthetop.com crowd, although they tend to be advanced and schedule most of their hikes via facebook. The meetup groups tend to be older folks than you but that just means that your pace may be faster than them (dont count on it). For overnight experiences especially this time of year its tough for entry level as cold weather camping requires a lot of gear.

Good story. Made me laugh a few times at the ignorance of a beginner hiker (Jerkweed, not you)
    But yes, you should have waited a day or two (camped at Abol bridge perhaps?) and then continued with some other SOBOers you would meet there.
    Your goal of hiking the trail may be in jeopardy simply because of someone's thoughtless and irresponsible doings.

I think you should find a suitable partner and go back out there next year if it's at all possible.
    Don't let this experience ruin your hiking life.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    1 man
    6 women
    58 children
    . . . now that's funny. . . .

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    12 weeks at Paris Island might straighten his ass out.

Thought they split that with SOI East at Camp Lejeune?

(Don't look at me, I was a Squid)
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

I'm envious, in one day you climbed what I won't get to for a couple of more years!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucherm View Post
    Thought they split that with SOI East at Camp Lejeune?

(Don't look at me, I was a Squid)
    Parris Island is actually 13 weeks if you count the first week of processing and forming. Marine Combat Training (for non-infantry) is 29 days at Camp Geiger (near Camp Lejeune).

Journal Entries
    Images

So Jerkwad got it wrong and they were Mennonite...Then yelled at them, "I hate mormons!" - what an idiot.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    So Jerkwad got it wrong and they were Mennonite...Then yelled at them, "I hate mormons!" - what an idiot.
    Well, at least he didn't offend the Mennonites!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Re: Hiking with a partner... One of the good points of the Barefoot Sisters' books is that they deal in depth and at length with the conflicts they had with each other. In a nutshell, they spent a lot of time and emotional energy resenting each other because they both felt as if the other one was dictating the terms of the hike.

It was a dynamic I saw constantly going on amongst hikers. The group (or a pair) has a decision to make. Generally the most forceful person in the group will prevail. You have to be very self-aware and very strong mentally to resist that pressure from the group and do what is best for you. The temptation to cave is not really just from weakness; it's also because it's probably more fun hiking with the group than hiking by yourself. However, the price of letting other people dictate the terms of your hike is that you won't be doing things that are the best for you.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It's unfortunate that you were so affected by this idiot to have decided to quit. I think I would have faked quitting to get rid of the guy and then gone back to hike by myself (or with the other person you were with.)

The guy sounds like a sociopath and a budding serial killer. I hope he get put in jail quickly before he hurts anyone.
    WHAT a story - what a jerk indeed. I would have done just about anything to avoid him.

I was thinking sociopath as well. He sounds like BIG trouble ! Hope someone stops him in his path before he hurts someone.

Jerkwad is Katz seduced by the dark side of the force.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Yeah, boys will be boys...but that's a little extreme. Personally, I think the only real way to fix that problem is to drop them off in the middle of the wilderness and let them try and find their way out and if it kills him, so be it.

If that doesn't work, then there's just no fixin' him; we don't have the technology, yet...

Love it! Or if that doesn't work drop them off in the middle of the Everglades & if that doesn't kill them???
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Re: Hiking with a partner... One of the good points of the Barefoot Sisters' books is that they deal in depth and at length with the conflicts they had with each other. In a nutshell, they spent a lot of time and emotional energy resenting each other because they both felt as if the other one was dictating the terms of the hike.
    It's true they have their fights, but then there are the numerous days like the sheer bliss they share slacking from Duncannon to Boiling Spring, running in the rain, picking berries and cherries as they go, the songs and silly stories they make up to keep each other entertained.

I am blessed to have a very fine hiking partner - I owe my ability to get out on trail so frequently this past half year to his ability to join me, and vice versa. I've always enjoyed hiking, but having him there to join me - other friends join me on occasion, and I hike solo now and then, too, but most of the time Jason and I pair up, sometimes also with his son - has made hiking all the more enjoyable and possible.

I think the Barefoot Sisters' experience, and my own with Jay - heck, even that of Bill Bryson with "Katz" - shows that, while there will always be differences between people (sometimes Jay slows me down, sometimes I lag him), and while you can and will meet and make new friends on a long distance hike, there's no substitute for a good, steady hiking partner - a close friend or family member who, when the chips are down, will always have your back. This Thanksgiving, it's one of the biggest things I am thankful for, to have found a good hiking buddy.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sherrill View Post
    Jerkwad is Katz seduced by the dark side of the force.

Very profound.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++