WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default When the going gets tough, the tough use Duct tape

How many different products did I see for blisters while at REI the other day ?
    Lets see,.. there was Moleskin , and Blist-O-Ban. There was Blister Foam, and Blister Medic , along with a few others , all designed to cover hot spots or blisters.

I have been fortunate to not have any blister issues crop up while hiking in some years now, but wondered if Duct tape was still the old standard for blisters ?.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries
    Images

For me, Elastoplast heavy fabric (brand name) works great. I use the kind without any centre padding, and is usually sold as a roll. Works great in combat boots.
    http://www.en.elastoplast.ca/product...vy-fabric.html

Default Fixing Your Feet

http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/

Everything you need to know and a few things you don't want to know.

J.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    How many different products did I see for blisters while at REI the other day ?
    Lets see,.. there was Moleskin , and Blist-O-Ban. There was Blister Foam, and Blister Medic , along with a few others , all designed to cover hot spots or blisters.

I have been fortunate to not have any blister issues crop up while hiking in some years now, but wondered if Duct tape was still the old standard for blisters ?.
    Here is a poll among WB posters from a few years back. Not sure if there is anything new on the market that has taken off, so it would be good to hear if there is.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...listers&page=2

Moleskin has worked best for me. Tried white medical adhesive tape, didn't help much; wouldn't stay on. Have not tried duct tape.

Images

I use duct tape. I'll put a piece of toilet paper directly on the wound and then duct tape over it. Works good for me. I even use it at home sometimes...ha!
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Leukotape is the only thing I've found that stays on my feet. Even after several days you still need to peel it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Leukotape is the only thing I've found that stays on my feet. Even after several days you still need to peel it off.
    +1

It's more expensive, but way better. Have also used to repair gear with great results ( torn pack pockets, shoe uppers, bivvy bottom)
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

After using leukotape for a little while earlier this year I found that it was less of a hassle than dealing with the various moleskin kits I had, so now leukotape is my moleskin kit.

Images

Good old fashion band-aids seem to work as good as anything for me.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

duct tape aint so good. its glue is bad for the wound. and the pulling on the skin is bad. what you wanna do is build a bandage useing sound methods no matter what the materials. i can take the most bloodyed feet of a hiker and construct coverings to allow walking where it seems imposible.

their are many ways to clean a wound but to not do this is silly. soap and water move germs away by causing slipperyness. and without damage to surounding fleash witch would slow healing as an astringent might. so try not to use harsh things to cleanse. of course anything is better than nothing if theirs dirt in there so for some cases its denatured alcohol we use hiking to clean wounds and blisters.

start with these ideas to build the bandage. never allow tape to touch toenails. this is important. if the tape is around or touching nail, the nail can be wiggled and pulled and hurt.

never allow the bandage to touch the blister. this is done by makeing a hole in the bandage over the blister. next, compile three or four layers if needed over the blister, each with a smaller hole cut out over the blister until a tapered patch is formed and then put a lid of material over it. this can be done with moleskin or ducktape and tissue or many bandaids .air is your friend. remove the shoes and sox and bandages often.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    duct tape aint so good. its glue is bad for the wound. and the pulling on the skin is bad. what you wanna do is build a bandage useing sound methods no matter what the materials. i can take the most bloodyed feet of a hiker and construct coverings to allow walking where it seems imposible.

their are many ways to clean a wound but to not do this is silly. soap and water move germs away by causing slipperyness. and without damage to surounding fleash witch would slow healing as an astringent might. so try not to use harsh things to cleanse. of course anything is better than nothing if theirs dirt in there so for some cases its denatured alcohol we use hiking to clean wounds and blisters.

start with these ideas to build the bandage. never allow tape to touch toenails. this is important. if the tape is around or touching nail, the nail can be wiggled and pulled and hurt.

never allow the bandage to touch the blister. this is done by makeing a hole in the bandage over the blister. next, compile three or four layers if needed over the blister, each with a smaller hole cut out over the blister until a tapered patch is formed and then put a lid of material over it. this can be done with moleskin or ducktape and tissue or many bandaids .air is your friend. remove the shoes and sox and bandages often.
    Holy Crap !! I actually understand everything Matty just said .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

++ New Posts ++