WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pack options

Registered User MisplacedMainer's Avatar
    Images

Default Pack options

I'm looking for a quality lightweight pack that is durable and not too expensive. Read up on quite a few, but the ones I've come across seem to always have bad reviews due to poor quality or uncomfortable wear. I usually wear large packs, but some mediums fit quite comfortably. My base weight is sub 20's plus food etc I'm looking between 30 and 35#. Any suggestions??
    He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MisplacedMainer View Post
    I'm looking for a quality lightweight pack that is durable and not too expensive. Read up on quite a few, but the ones I've come across seem to always have bad reviews due to poor quality or uncomfortable wear. I usually wear large packs, but some mediums fit quite comfortably. My base weight is sub 20's plus food etc I'm looking between 30 and 35#. Any suggestions??
    What is too expensive?

I love my ULA Circuit that I got a few years ago. Ive put 45# in it for training hikes but usually hike with 25-30# in it with a few days of food and full load of water.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Registered User MisplacedMainer's Avatar
    Images

I'd say 200 and under isn't too expensive. I've read quite a bit on the Circuit and it seems to be quite the a highly liked and well regarded pack. I have yet to find a negative review on it.
    He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither.

Granite Gear makes some very nice lightweight packs. We have used them for several years and I just bought my husband a new one, not because his other had worn out but just because he was eyeing one with a top pocket on it. I've had my vapor ki since they came out with the woman's model. The LW packs are all around $200.

Can't go wrong with ULA! Mine was made by Brian before he sold the company. The company still is cobbler style and VERY personal. I do section hikes on AT in seven day increments and start with a weight of 32lbs complete weight (1liter of water in pack)
    The pack weight is 3lbs but you can't beat the comfort and the stability of these packs. If you are comfortable on your hike, your happy, which means you'll hike longer and further. The pack belt is so padded and comfortable and has pockets for storage. I got the extra large size because I have a down bag and underquilt for my hammock so I need the room which is 5600 cubic inches rather than the medium which I believe is around 4600cu. The pack has multiple compression straps, which you can also cut down to save weight but I don't have any shifting of weight on the pack at all and no bouncing. Here is a link. You can't go wrong with this pack:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp

Hike smarter, not harder.

ULA packs, designed by a thru-hiker, built in Utah. What's not to like? Not the lightest, most likely the most duralble. I have a Catalyst, Conduit, and Circuit. Or you can send your money overseas.
    Last edited by skinewmexico; 11-26-2010 at 13:13.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

ULA circuit is a great pack. Bigger than you will expect and rides very well. The hip belt pockets hold quite a bit

Images

Lightweight and durable = ULA

http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp

Made in the good 'ol US of A
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Depending on how light and compact your kit becomes, may like Gossamer Gear Gorilla. Probably a little smaller than others you are considering. I love mine. Have (with some creativity involved) even used it on a nine-day trip in Olympic NP with Bearicade Expedition cannister and other extras.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

you certainly won't find better customer service than ULA. Nothing worse than having to deal with some BS customer service representative during the middle of your thru hike.

On the PCT this year my circuit, after almost 4,000 miles (i used it on the AT too) had a few things that were starting to go wrong with it just from general wear and tear over time. Nothing that was affecting my pack and how it carried but I was concerned that they could become big problems if I did nothing about it.

I shot Chris, the new owner, an email and he responded almost immedieatly. He had a loaner pack in the mail for me ASAP but it didn't make it to seiad valley in time. I told him so and asked him to call the PO and get it forwarded for me since I most likely wouldn't have phone service over the next few days.

I picked the loaner pack up at the next stop and mailed mine in on a thursday,I think it was thursday anyways. He got it on tuesday, repaired it on tuesday, and got it back into the mail the same day so that I could pick it up at the PO by friday. This was the last time i'd be at a PO for a few weeks so I needed it to be there, and it was. My backpack came back looking brand new. Could fooled me but I doubt Chris could have added the thru hiker aroma that accumulates over time.

I remember one email where he answered me while he was out at 9 pm on a Saturday night using his iPhone.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Images

I had my ULA OHM for a couple of months and then when I finally loaded it up I realized it didn't fit. They let me exchange it no questions asked.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

I used a Granite Gear Nimbus ozone for my thru hike this year. It was the best fitting pack I've ever owned and I never had a single problem with it. I actually took it back to the store where I bought it to show them how good it looked afterwards. My base weight was about 25-27 pounds, plus food and water.

Golite Pinnacle. I love this pack and have no intentions of ever replacing it.

Images

I'll give the REI Flash 65 a mention . Hiked with a buddy who loved the overall fit and he's 6'2 , 240.
    Removing the stays and top lid gets you down to a minimalist 2 lbs. and it comfortably stows 35 lbs.

$169 isn't too shabby either.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Agreed the rei flash 65 was the most comfy pack I've worn.

Images

I've seen the Granite Gear Vapor Trail on sale as low as $80 earlier this year. But there's a lot of good choices out there in 2 to 3 lb packs. Most all are perfectly suitable for normal backpacking. Finding the one that fits both you AND your gear can sometimes be the hard part.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

just thought i'd post another love post for my ULA circuit.

REI flash 65 is great for a more affordable option ... my ospreys are too heavy (and the exos 58 just didn't fit my body well i was between a M and L)

i have nothing to knock about the ULA circuit. first pack i've loved everything about.

I just look at the ULA site, and was surprised that they are not crazy expensive. Fortunately, I'm not in the market.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

^^ for a made in america, by a hiker... with the service you get with it...

their prices are beyond fair.

Images

For a base weight in the low 20s, something with a frame is best. The ULA Circuit is very popular for a reason, as are many of the packs listed above. You might also look at the Osprey EXOS 46, which is a 2.5 pound pack that should carry 30+ pounds, and the Six Moon Designs Starlite, which I've used for 5+ years and can easily carry my winter gear, but weighs under 2 pounds.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++