Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 69

Thread: New England

  1. #41
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    Hi Ironbelly:

    Nice pics! I made an album of photos, too, here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...751&aid=105433. Will post the pics of you and your pup in there, too, if you like - just let me know.

    Hope to get out on trail with you again, soon, when schedules permit.

    Cheers,

    Chris
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  2. #42
    Digger takethisbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,062
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    takethisbread:

    Not sure if I can make Greylock area with you, would like to, but may not yet have crampons by that time. You're doing a Friday/Saturday? Where do you think you'd camp? I'd be joining you Sat AM.
    ------
    .
    I'm thinking Mark Noepel lean to.

    I did this hike last winter and wore no campons. I guess I will watch the weather, but I just used the often useless yaktrax and they were ok. But the snow wasn't too too bad .

    Keep in touch.

  3. #43
    Registered User Lillianp's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-23-2007
    Location
    Lexington, MA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    249
    Images
    14

    Default

    Takethisbread,
    I would join you, but I'm unsure of my work as of yet, so we'll see.

    As for group hike, would an end to end work well? Two nights with the majority of hiking being Saturday and finishing up Sunday morning? I am parsing through the (seemingly, I guess) disorganized information out there with all of the winter allowed camping in Mass/Conn/NY. I like Migrating Bird's idea of the South Taconics. There is some camping there near Alander?

    I do work better off guidebooks (habit learned from AT, naturally) so It's taking me a bit to work through the maps, figure out distances, etc.

    -Em
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

    How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-04-2009
    Location
    West Stockbridge MA
    Age
    67
    Posts
    493
    Images
    3

    Default

    There is a camp site about 1 mile in from the Washington State Forest headquarters. Check out this map.
    http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/mt-washington.gif There is also a group site where the Alander trail crosses Ashley Brook.

  5. #45
    Registered User sasquatch2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-19-2007
    Location
    Pawling NY
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,986
    Images
    785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    I'm thinking Mark Noepel lean to.

    I did this hike last winter and wore no campons. I guess I will watch the weather, but I just used the often useless yaktrax and they were ok. But the snow wasn't too too bad .

    Keep in touch.
    yeah well you are an idiot so I may just have to try and meet up with you to make sure you make it over this hill alive. If you die who is going to hike into the Winter Warmer with me? Trust me it is purely selfish reason that I might even think about such a stupid hike.

    By the way screw CT and their stupid ass no fire law. Come on down to NY we welcome fires hell tell me where you are and I'll help hike the wood and fire strater in. I bet in 20 min's we can get jets that were to land at JFK come in low with the fire we will have.

    Yes I know I have added almost nothing of any merit to this thread. Hence my job is done. I say Good Night!!!!
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

  6. #46
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Join Date
    03-05-2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    38
    Posts
    6,884
    Images
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    By the way screw CT and their stupid ass no fire law. Come on down to NY we welcome fires hell tell me where you are and I'll help hike the wood and fire strater in. I bet in 20 min's we can get jets that were to land at JFK come in low with the fire we will have.
    As a proud life-long Connecticut resident, I have to totally agree. Eastern NY is fun in the winter and a great place go if you want to ease yourself into winter backpacking. Several of the campsites are far enough from the road to give you a good hike, but close enough to the trailhead to let you get back if you get into any trouble. I have no idea why CT is more flammable than it's neighbors, but I usually abandon the place when the temps drop much below freezing.

    Sasquatch, I see you are from Pawling. Do you know if there is any place on Duell Hollow road to park overnight legally during the winter? Last December when I was up there I parked roadside (I couldn't find any other parking because of the snow banks). The authorities were nice enough to leave me a polite warning note instead of a ticket, however I'd prefer not to test their patience.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

  7. #47
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    I'm thinking Mark Noepel lean to.

    I did this hike last winter and wore no campons. I guess I will watch the weather, but I just used the often useless yaktrax and they were ok. But the snow wasn't too too bad .

    Keep in touch.
    OK. Well if weather isn't too forbidding and I can get someone to do the two cars gig with me, I could give it a go. Another alternative would be for me (and partner/s) to hike up from the north and join you somewhere - War Memorial, points north? - and then double back and head north from point of meeting. That'd give me good steep elevation gain experience with the north side of the beast. ...

    I'd really enjoy seeing Saddle Ball's forest in the winter, though. Such a pretty place. ...
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  8. #48
    Registered User Lillianp's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-23-2007
    Location
    Lexington, MA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    249
    Images
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    There is a camp site about 1 mile in from the Washington State Forest headquarters. Check out this map.
    http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/mt-washington.gif There is also a group site where the Alander trail crosses Ashley Brook.
    I didn't see the campsite a mile in from the headquarters, but I can see the group site marked 2 miles in? That looks like a really good option-hike in Friday evening for those who can make it out for then and hike around on Saturday, return on Saturday evening, perhaps?

    I was also thinking maybe doing an end to end Somewhere in Southern mass-somewhere just past Great Barrington to the North Wilcox or South Wilcox shelter to upper goose pond and out on to Rte 20?
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

    How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

  9. #49
    Digger takethisbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,062
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    yeah well you are an idiot so I may just have to try and meet up with you to make sure you make it over this hill alive. If you die who is going to hike into the Winter Warmer with me? Trust me it is purely selfish reason that I might even think about such a stupid hike.

    By the way screw CT and their stupid ass no fire law. Come on down to NY we welcome fires hell tell me where you are and I'll help hike the wood and fire strater in. I bet in 20 min's we can get jets that were to land at JFK come in low with the fire we will have.

    Yes I know I have added almost nothing of any merit to this thread. Hence my job is done. I say Good Night!!!!

    I'll be alive still for the warmer for sure.

    As for Greylock, I guess We may have something. It'll be tough, but there's a liquor store on the other side!

  10. #50
    Registered User CTGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-27-2009
    Location
    Collinsville,Connecticut
    Age
    30
    Posts
    50

    Default

    I have this coming week off until friday or Saturday was wondering if anyone would be interested in a hiking trip or even a overnight, in Mass, CT or Ny?

  11. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTGuy View Post
    I have this coming week off until friday or Saturday was wondering if anyone would be interested in a hiking trip or even a overnight, in Mass, CT or Ny?
    Well, I tried to post detail of a trip I'm doing Tuesday afternoon through late Friday morning, but the Forum timed out on me and wouldn't post after re-logging in; the post is gone.

    In summary: I'm starting at the Ranger Headquarters roughly at the southern intersection of West and East Streets, going N on the AT over Race and Everett, camping at Glen Brook shelter.

    Then N over Bushnell, immediately descending ravine W down into Jug End Loop area, ascending Whitbeck and overnighting on the bank of Karner Brook. Then crossing Mt Washington Road and ascending woods road W up to South Taconics Trail north of Prospect Hill. South on STT, overnighting well-off-trail just S of Bashbish.

    Friday morning swing east on Alander Mt Trail back to car.

    I won't know for sure if I'm doing this until mid-day Monday. It is possible I may have to compress it to two-nighter Wed & Thurs, longer days and a maybe a bit of a push given the likely new snow.

  12. #52
    Registered User CTGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-27-2009
    Location
    Collinsville,Connecticut
    Age
    30
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Sounds good let me know more details when you get it figured out.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-15-2005
    Location
    White Mtns
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    Well, I tried to post detail of a trip I'm doing Tuesday afternoon through late Friday morning, but the Forum timed out on me and wouldn't post after re-logging in; the post is gone.

    ~
    Wil,

    Here are two strategies to help avoid this problem.

    1. When you log onto WB, check the box that says "Remember Me?".

    2. After composing your post, but before submitting it, copy the entire post. That way if your computer hangs during the post, you can paste your text into a new window and try again.
    Roland


  14. #54
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    I'm heading out of state for a week - down south where it's warmer - this Friday, and my time is scarce in the meantime. I may get out tomorrow near home to enjoy the plentiful new powder, we'll see.
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  15. #55
    Digger takethisbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,062
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    I'm still up for doing some hiking anywhere from ny/nj to mass.
    Nobody wants to play with me! I'm bored.

  16. #56
    Registered User Lillianp's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-23-2007
    Location
    Lexington, MA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    249
    Images
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    I'm still up for doing some hiking anywhere from ny/nj to mass.
    Nobody wants to play with me! I'm bored.
    Guh. So am I. Bored that is. Sadly, My weekends are spoken for until practically february. And one of them's only to babysit my 17 year old sister for a weekend. And by babysit, I mean making sure she eats and doesn't throw a rager in my parent's house. Otherwise, free to go about my business. Solely in the eastern mass area though. So no hiking that weekend.

    Yes, I realize I'm whining. What do people think about the last weekend in Jan? I'm still waiting to hear about a job, which may affect how my weekend schedule/hiking schedule is, but hopefully, I'll be able to get out for a bit that weekend.
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

    How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

  17. #57
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lillianp View Post
    Yes, I realize I'm whining. What do people think about the last weekend in Jan? I'm still waiting to hear about a job, which may affect how my weekend schedule/hiking schedule is, but hopefully, I'll be able to get out for a bit that weekend.
    Hope you can make it, too. Bet it'll be pretty by then - probably lots of snow (Santa got me microspikes ) and certainly more sunlight. Fingers crossed!
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-02-2010
    Location
    Bristol, CT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Looks like I have the weekend of 1/22-23 free if anyone wants to plan a trip.

    I would be interested in anywhere within about 3-4 hours drive of Northern/Central CT area. I'm not against night hiking either.

    For winter hiking I strongly prefer a locale that allows fires.

    I will have Juno my siberian husky with me, she is pretty good, Driver8 has met her.

    I have snowshoes, microspikes and don't care if it's on trail or off. I however do not currently have an ice axe.

    We have about a month, so if anyone is interested in planning something that would be great, otherwise I am going somewhere solo regardless.
    Last edited by Ironbelly; 12-29-2010 at 20:53.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

  19. #59
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post
    Looks like I have the weekend of 1/22-23 free if anyone wants to plan a trip.
    Howsabout a Stratton loop? Stratton-Arlington to summit to Pond? I can then make my way back to S/A and drive home from there. My only concern is whether my car will have issues with backcountry VT roads.

    Anyone know how far west Stratton-Arlington is plowed? Until pavement's end, or to AT/LT trailhead?

    Alternatively, we could tromp around in the NY/CT/MA taconics, with an emphasis on non-CT at fire-setting times. Or Greylock area. I'm open to other ideas, for that matter.
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  20. #60
    Registered User CTGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-27-2009
    Location
    Collinsville,Connecticut
    Age
    30
    Posts
    50

    Default

    That sounds good or Racebrook falls in Sheffield to Great Barrington on the AT in Mass or Bulls Bridge to depot hill road is nice on the AT in NY or even the tunxis trail would be really nice since it is really close. Let me know if anyone is looking to go on a hike before that, as i have plenty of time to go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •