WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New England

Images

Default New England

Hey all!

I've recently gotten the itchy 'go hiking' bug returned to me after a three month absence post-thru hike, so I was wondering if anyone else in the Southern New England area wanted to do some weekend hiking? I'm thinking sometime in the next month or two.. But I recognize the holidays are coming up and the next two weekends are a big fat no for me. I've got (currently-situation may hopefully change) fridays-sundays off and would love to do a short loop or end-to-end hike with some others!

I'm not a super experienced winter hiker (don't like snowshoes/ice axes) but I started my thru hike on the 26th of February and went through half the smokes-would've done the other half, but I had some knee issues. Rooster's pictures in the smokies really do it justice-I was about a day behind him.

So, I'm thinking either AT in CT-MA maybe southern VT or another trail-my brother mentioned the pemi in NH, but I'm not sure how exposed/wintry that one gets, so I don't know. Possibly the midstate/metacomet monadnock trail?

Love to hear from some other new englanders who need to get out on trail!

-Em/Crash Course
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lillianp View Post
    Love to hear from some other new englanders who need to get out on trail!

-Em/Crash Course
    Em:

I'm game, though only on a day-hiker basis. Headed out to do something in the Bear/Everett area in the morning. I'm crampon-free, non-snowshod, as yet. So icy + rocky can be an issue for me. But I may just snag some crampons yet. PM me if you like.

Cheers,

Chris/Camelmilk
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Just discovered the Tully Trail. 22 miles and if planned right-11 on one day to a shelter and 11 back to car! So I might do that really soon. Will let you all know.
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

You could do a 17/18mi trip from jug End Road, MA to Salisbury CT snow shoes might be needed or at least some sort of traction I use the Kahtoola Micro Spikes for around here MA/CT. You'll need a 0'degree bag in December. It's a great doable trip for winter.
    It's snowing here now in the Berkshires our first snow to cover the ground.

Images

Thanks Canoehead!

It rather looks like I'm destined to become very very familiar with that section of trail-I started there for my shakedown a year and a half ago, I was there for an overnight in january and hiked thru on my thru-hike.

Regardless, it's a gorgeous section of trail that's fairly decently easy which is good.
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

I use the area all the time for my programs I run so I know it's good for short fun winter loops. There's so many choices. No Bugs No Bears. We are always looking to head out so stay in touch maybe put a small group together.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by canoehead View Post
    You could do a 17/18mi trip from jug End Road, MA to Salisbury CT snow shoes might be needed or at least some sort of traction I use the Kahtoola Micro Spikes for around here MA/CT. You'll need a 0'degree bag in December. It's a great doable trip for winter.
    It's snowing here now in the Berkshires our first snow to cover the ground.
    I was out there today. The snow squalls came in in force atop Bear about 10:30 am. Were fearsome. When we arrived at summit, at 10:15, we could see the Catskills. By 10:30 it was snowing so much that we could only see the immediately neighboring mtns and the Housy valley. What a pretty day! First time for me to do Paradise Lane - we played it safe and ascended south side of Bear, then upon hearing north side was safe, descended that way and then PL to UM. What a nice trail.

Bear's quite the beauty from all angles - still need to do Bear Mtn Road and the trail down directly to the NW Cabin, which a couple guys we met today were doing. Love it out there!

Images

Oh wow, Driver8, sounds like fun!

Canoehead-I will certainly let you know when the itch gets too strong to ignore! Will probably head out that way at some point in the next month and a half.
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

Quote Originally Posted by Lillianp View Post
    Just discovered the Tully Trail. 22 miles and if planned right-11 on one day to a shelter and 11 back to car! So I might do that really soon. Will let you all know.
    I did the Tully a couple months back and its a nice trail with a well-maintained shelter. If you do go, I recommend taking the short jaunt out to 'the ledges' by the eastern part of the trail, the view is definitely worth it. Also the section along the powerlines near there wasn't fully marked (and at least then, pretty overgrown with thorns) so pay extra attention if you are coming up from the south or you can just double back and take the lake trail to bypass the powerline section.

Images

Where's the Tully? I'm gonna try and find it in the Mass AMC Guide book. Love that book and the maps!

Images

Em:

You may have seen where I posted this, but I checked on Monadnock - my friend Jay and I were going to do it Saturday. Ranger told me it's solid ice the last 1/4 of the way up on all trails. I take that to mean all the exposed rock from 2700 or so to the top is solid ice. I thanked her for the info and said "See you in spring!" I'm gonna break in on winter hiking this year with easier stuff in CT, maybe some Mass, as I have no experience with it to date. Up for it, but baby steps first. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Where's the Tully? I'm gonna try and find it in the Mass AMC Guide book. Love that book and the maps!
    Its up in Royalston, just north of Athol. You can find information including a map at http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to...lly-trail.html. If you check in with the camp office, they have a more detailed, water-resistant map they will give you for free (Far nicer than the printouts I am used to at the state parks).

Also, if you want a longer hike, the Tully aligns with the M&M in the north by the shelter and its about 17-18 miles to the summit of Mt. Monadnock.

Hey I would be interested in some weekend trips sometime in January just let me know when you were thinking. The Mass section would be good, or even the New York section, and southern Vermont would be good. I would not be as keen on the CT section since you can't have fires, which kinda stinks especially in winter. The Pemi is kinda crazy in the winter unless you have full winter gear with ice axe and crampons. I cannot imagine being up on Franconia Notch 5000+ feet up with 0 degree or lower temperatures plus frequent winds/ windchills that can gust over 50 miles per hour.
    Last edited by CTGuy; 11-30-2010 at 19:24.

I go out year roung, rain, sleet, shine, or snow. If you or anyone in the CT area want to plan some trips or do some day hikes just let me know. I try to get out quite often.

There are plenty of trails in the CT area that don't require full winter gear, and allow fires. I like doing the Tunxis in the winter.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Thats really cool. I hike the Tunxis Trail frequently it is one of my all time favorite trails in CT its a nice peaceful trail but never have camped out on it. I have only seen a couple people ever in all my times hiking it. My favorite part that I've done is the Indian Council Caves in New Hartford and the Tory's Den section in Burlington is really nice too. I have always imagined it is probably ok to camp off the trail as long as you are not on private property but was never completely sure? I always thought that open fires were prohibited in CT period, except at campgrounds where you can get a permit? I still have a few weeks left of school, but we should plan something I'm always up for hiking the Tunxis Trail or AT.
    Last edited by CTGuy; 12-01-2010 at 01:38.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CTGuy View Post
    I always thought that open fires were prohibited in CT period, except at campgrounds where you can get a permit?
    I believe this is correct.

I'd like to get out to Greylock and/or Stratton during the winter. Monadnock, I hear, is solid ice at the top, above 2700 or so. Not sure I'm ready for that - need to buy crampons! But G/L and Stratton s/b doable. I'd love to do a Stratton-Arlington to the Pond to the Summit and back loop hike. Not sure I'm ready for winter camping, though. That'll take some convincing!

Don't be afraid to camp in the winter take small steps to be successful, plan for it with the right gear, self awareness and attitude and do it where you can bale out if you really need to.

Fires ARE allowed in CT, period, regardless of location. HOWEVER, it is requested by the AMC that fires be posted as prohibited on the AT in CT due to the inaccesability to the trail of firefighters in the event for a forest fire. There is no actual law or ordance against having a fire on the AT, it is just an observed law on behalf of the AMC.

As far as all of the other trails in CT, they require a backpacking permit from the DEP, or written permission from the private land owner. Permits are free, and I get them all the time. Fires are allowed at all established campsites, and this included backpacking camp sites. They do ask you to follow all current fire bans if any are in place due to conditions.

I think I am going to do a trip next weekend Dec 10-12 if you would be interested CTGuy. Planning to do the the Tunxis from Roaring brook to Hurricane Brook, and back to Roaring Brook. I can add you or anyone for that matter, to the permit once I get it.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Images

FYI I was camped at Sages Ravine a couple of weeks ago and a ridge runner made another party put out a fire and told us that fires were not allowed. Fire danger was very low.

Like I said, the AMC holds a no fire stance on the CT portion of the AT. There is by no means a law or legal ordance restricting such(believe me I searched high and low through town and state law/ordanance). If it is posted, then obey the postings simple as that.

On any other trail in CT though, have a fire to your hearts content as long as the fire danger warrants, and it's in a designated backpacking site that you are occupying with a permit.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++