Default 127 Defining Moments

Hello Fellow PCT Hikers,

I need your help! Hopefully it's cool to post this here?

Remember the climber Aron Ralson who's arm was trapped and had to cut his arm off with a pocket knife to free himself after 6 days. During my hike on the PCT in 2008 I had a bear experience the night before we reached Canada, and I submitted it to 127 Defining Moments. It was late at night when I submitted a draft, and was updating the final my entry when the deadline passed. My draft entry was submitted with some typos, kind of incomplete and, the picture is all messed up. Despite this I was selected as one of the 126 finalist!

I am trying stay in the top ten. Please read my story, and if you like it click the thumbs up to cast your vote for me. The counter should increment when you have casted your vote.

www.127definingmoments.com/#/detailView?id=257

Thanks for your help and see you on trail,

Flippy

AT 04
    PCT 05-08
    CDT 10-?
    Also you don't have to give any personal information to vote, and the site is legitimate.

Wow you are from The Woodlands? Me too! I was unaware anyone cared about hiking down here. Anyway, I voted for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the vote.

Moved here in 1996. It was a quarter of the size of what it is now. Since George Mitchell sold it, it has lost the vision he had. There are plenty of us hikers and outdoor people out here.

Before my AT thru-hike I saw a picture of a fellow AT thru-hiker in the Villager - Front Page! It's part of what inspired me into long distance hiking.

There used to be a hiking group that met at the library once a month to talk about hikes/trip they had done. After my 2004 AT thru-hike I gave a presentation to them.

There is also the Lone Star Hiking Trail ~128 miles (including loop trails) long. Just 30 miles north of us. I want to hike it this winter for fun.

There is a HART (Houston Adventure Racing Team) here. You don't have to belong to HART to do the adventure races and they are really fun. A couple of my friends from here participated in the EcoChallenge and PrimalQuest.

Some people go west to Enchanted Rock, down to Big Bend National
    Park, or Gaudelupe Mountains. It's not like AT, PCT, or CDT but it's fun.

Images

One more vote from a neighbor to the west.

I've lived here since 1989. Definitely lost a lot of its charm, way too big now. I've been to Enchanted Rock, Big Bend, and explored a fair bit of the Lone Star Trail on day hikes. I'll have to check out that library group and HART. Totally unaware of any of that. Thanks for the heads up.

Images

Voted done.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

Question

Hey, what were your start and finish dates on the AT in '04? My daughter hiked that year.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thanks for the votes!

Railroad King...The ranger station off FM1374 in New Waverly also is involved in some hiking movements here. The head ranger is from Alaska and has some good ideas, but has met up with a little resistance.

Rain Man...March 26 left Springer and summited Katahdin on August 19th & 20th. Couldn't see a thing on the 19th, so I went back up the next day and it was amazing.

Thanks again everyone for their support and voting. The winner will be annouced on Friday, Dec 10th, so I believe you still have time to vote. I'll let you know how I placed.

http://www.127definingmoments.com/#/detailView?id=257

Thanks,

Flippy

Read my story, and if you like it click the "Thumbs Up" to cast your vote for me. The counter should increment when you have casted your vote. Thanks!

++ New Posts ++