WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Southbound hike to start june 2011

Finally graduating college and the plan is to start between June 11-18 with my younger brother. I was hoping to get an idea of who will be starting shortly before and after this time. My brother and I are looking for some solitude, but we are really hoping to meet some new people (especially sobos) during our journey.

Darkstar i noticed your thread, and i saw that one other person may be starting early june as well. Again just wanted to see who is planning to be on the trail. I know its a bit early, but i am literally counting down the days. I have been backpacking for a while now, but this will be my first thru hike. Very excited!

Look under the Class of 2011 section there are a bunch of us starting around that time.
    21.1% Done

thanks man im new to WB

Default Sobo on June 5th 2011

Hello sterling
    I will also be heading Sobo this June. I am currently preparing everything: equipment, itinerary, food drop plans, etc. and also doing some training in hopes to improve my physical capabilities.
    Hoping to meet you on the trail.

France

i'll be starting SOBO around that time as well, planning on June 16th but it could be earlier or later. i'll be flying into bangor on the 15th and then heading up to the AT Lodge that night with plans to be in Baxter the next morning. Almost got everything set now, just finalizing a couple of last minute details. June can't come soon enough for me. See ya'll on the trail.

I'm planning on an early to mid-June SOBO start. Figure I live in NH, so it'll be pretty easy for me to get to Baxter. Good luck everyone and see you out there!

Hi, I'm aiming to fly into Bangor or Portland on 29th(ish)/may and hoping to start at Kath on June1st.

If anyone wants some company for the first 100miles, let me know.

I've got until sept 26th until I have to fly back, so I might have to speed up after the wilderness. Then again, I'm in no hurry to reach GA and don't mind cutting my journey short.

What sort of weather can a sobo-er expect between june1-sept 30th? I was thinking light rain coat, and pants and tshirt? with flipflops for really wet days on flat terrain?

Check out www.100milewilderness.info for shuttles, mid-Wilderness resupply and accomodations

Khalidur, I am planning on getting to Baxter May 31 and starting my hill climb on June 1. I will gladly keep you company for the wild, but I may have to linger in towns a little longer to recharge batteries and get some school work done.
    ~ For indoor or outdoor use only.

http://www.jonpearsall.com

Quote Originally Posted by myotheralt View Post
    Khalidur, I am planning on getting to Baxter May 31 and starting my hill climb on June 1. I will gladly keep you company for the wild, but I may have to linger in towns a little longer to recharge batteries and get some school work done.
    change of plans, I fly into bangor june 1st at night (2200), so I'm gonna spend the 2nd shopping for supplies and head up Kathadin on the 3rd.

There's quite a few of us SOBOers on this forum with the same time frame so hopefully I bump into a few of you!

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

starting the 19th or 20th Jameson in hand! Less than 100 days baby!

Going SOBO ME - GA on June 1st. See you guys up there. It should be interesting meeting someone from Canada, Iowa, and London in the first few days doing exactly what I am doing. I'm actually going to take it really slow the first few weeks so I can fish, so you later starters will probably catch up with me too. 70 Days left baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Kepley View Post
    Going SOBO ME - GA on June 1st. See you guys up there. It should be interesting meeting someone from Canada, Iowa, and London in the first few days doing exactly what I am doing. I'm actually going to take it really slow the first few weeks so I can fish, so you later starters will probably catch up with me too. 70 Days left baby!
    I'm from London via Bangladesh so that should make it even interestinger!

Default Sobo itinerary

My buddy hotwheelz and I will be starting June 10-15. We've got a lot of stuff together already but we're still working on the itinerary. Any of you guys know much about sobo itineraries or who to talk to about this?

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by scoutSOBO View Post
    My buddy hotwheelz and I will be starting June 10-15. We've got a lot of stuff together already but we're still working on the itinerary. Any of you guys know much about sobo itineraries or who to talk to about this?

Scout
    You can generally just start a topic with what you have and what your think you need to know.

As far as mileage itinerary, most people find that once they get on the trail it goes out the window as you figure out how many miles you feel like hiking. As for gear just put of your gear lists and you will get all sorts of suggestions.
    21.1% Done

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scoutSOBO View Post
    Any of you guys know much about sobo itineraries or who to talk to about this?
    There are lots of former SOBOers on WB whom you can ask specific questions. Otherwise, a good resource for me has been scanning trailjournals.com for SOBOers and reading what they have to say.

Or just start a thread...

Or just hike and learn...

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

P.S. see you out there, scout!

Default Starting June 6

I'm a little late on the reply, but my husband Justin & I (Patrice) are hoping to summit Katahdin on June 6 and start our southbound thru hike after that. Glad to hear there are so many other SBers starting around the same time, so hope to see you out there!

http://www.wanderinglavignes.blogspot.com

I'll be there. Starting in early June.

Will be starting in late June or July 1 with my wife.

Surprised to see multiple folks from NH going SOBO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++