WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pack Size, How many Cubic Inches?

All my Christmas Presents just came in the mail, and my mom let me check everything out before she wrapped it up for the big day. I ordered a Mountainsmith Auspex (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226) but now that i see all the stuff laid out on the floor, I'm nervous that it may be too big of a pack? And if so could I get away with something liek the Mountainsmith Phantom (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226)
    or even somethign as small as the Mountainsmith Ghost (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226)?
    The differnece is a drop of about 500 cu. in. per pack going from 4,000 to 3,500 to 3,000. I posted my pack essentails earlier post (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6594) which pack seems liek a better fit for me?
    -thanks, and sorry about all the links..

oh and btw, i dont have the auspex pack yet, its backordered til Jan. 10th, so i cant pack it now...

Default Fit

Pack size is one thing. The other consideration is how it fits you. I've tried the Auspex, and don't like how it fits me.

I'd suggest that before you buy a pack, take all your gear to your local outfitter and try loading it into different packs. Then, see how the loaded pack feels to you.

If you are in Connecticut, there are plenty of outfitters around, or go up to Amherst or Northampton Mass if you can't find one locally.

Images

Default Outfitters in CT

You could stop by Country Sports in Canton on Rt44 - Greg and Tim are great guys and they'd definately help you find the right pack size. There's also EMS in West Hartford which is probably a shorter ride from Cheshire.

Images

I was reasonably satisfied with the Auspex. There are alot of straps to tighten/adjust every time you put the pack on your back. Later, I went to the Ghost, great for a lightweight backpacker. The Ghost might be just a bit small if starting an AT hike during cold weather.

Images

i love my equinox katahdin,3300 ci,24 oz excellnt suspension and paded waist belt 79.99 on sale,love this pack. neo

Default pack volume

I prefer a large pack. You have more options. The sleeping bag does not need to be compressed as much and your pad packed inside or outside creates a variable volume pack.

MountainSmith packs seem to fit some people and not others. My sherpa pack is the Specter and I love it. I have loaned it to people that hated it. Fit and comfort are more important than volume.

I am old and crabby, but I do not trust product information from a retailer that does not have a scale available. When I buy from a store that does not have a scale I always ask if I can return the product if it is heavier than claimed by the manufacturer.

For multi-day hikes big outside mesh pockets to dry gear while you hike are great. The Auspex pockets do not have much volume.

You should consider a pack like the Six Moon Designs Starlite. It is half the weight and costs less.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=34

Cubic inches are fairly irrevelent as every manufacturer uses a different system for measuring their packs, plus measuring anything in cubic inches is difficult to visualize, liters is far more effective. Find what works for you, I prefer a pack around 60 litres, or 4000ish cubic inches, but I've seen some pretty huge 60 liter packs and some tiny ones as well.

I would not recommend mail ordering a pack, get in the shop and get that pack fit, have the stays bent properly. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do with any Mountainsmith pack to make it fit better, so it either works or it doesn't...the latter is more common. Fit is everything with a pack, also suspension is very important if you are carrying over 20 lbs, so consider both carefully.

++ New Posts ++