WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

I've never been to that area, so I can't give my opinion here, but as a thru hiker in planning, I'm very interested in the topic. Hiking with my service dog, I am not expecting to get a work-for-stay option anywhere along the AT. Mostly, we'll be in the tent. The huts are too expensive? How expensive? How difficult is it to tent in the Whites?

Images

Huts in the Whites this year are $77/day and includes dinner & breakfast.

Plenty of stelth tenting sites below treeline. Just practice leave no trace!!

Will do! Thanks!

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm very interested in the topic. Hiking with my service dog, I am not expecting to get a work-for-stay option anywhere along the AT. Mostly, we'll be in the tent. The huts are too expensive? How expensive? How difficult is it to tent in the Whites?
    In the Whites you have four choices:

1. Stay at a Hut
    2. Camp legally
    3. Camp illegally
    4. Stay at a designated campsite/shelter

Logistically, there is no need whatsoever to stay at a hut, except possibly at Lakes of the Clouds which is in the middle of a long stretch above treeline. Even that can be avoided if you are reasonably fit (which as a thru hiker you will be) and plan your day in the Presidentials a day in advance. Topo Maps are always a good idea, but they are a REALLY good idea in the Whites.

If you don't feel compelled to camp above treeline or within 1/4 mile of a man made structure (Road, hut, tent platform, etc.) you need not camp illegally. As a thru hiker you will probably feel like you should be able to camp anywhere, but such is life in the Whites.

A designated campsite (tent plantforms and shelter) costs $8. They might be appreciated since flat tentsites in the woods (especially ones near water) might be hard to find where you would like them. Dogs of any sort are always permitted at the designated campsites, whether a service animal or not.
    Last edited by rickb; 09-14-2005 at 13:42.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by radar
    I think that a change in hut policy would help in this section. One idea that might help would be to offer a "bunk only" rate (no meals) that is *only* available on a first-come first-serve basis. It should be a set rate, not one made up by the hut master and it might mean sleeping on the floor if there are no actual bunks available.

This would address the expense problem to a certain extent, at least it would mean that someone would only have to plan for *one* moderate night in either Lakes or Madison ($15-$25?) instead of $70.

Exactly the sort of thing I thought was a good idea on a recent AMC thread...though I called it a two-tiered rate structure. You described it better.

Kind of like the difference between "first class" and "coach" on Amtrak. "First class" you get your meals included, and better sleeping accommodations. "Coach" you buy your food or bring it on board with you, and get reclining seats to sleep in. The price difference is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline
    Exactly the sort of thing I thought was a good idea on a recent AMC thread...though I called it a two-tiered rate structure. You described it better.

Kind of like the difference between "first class" and "coach" on Amtrak. "First class" you get your meals included, and better sleeping accommodations. "Coach" you buy your food or bring it on board with you, and get reclining seats to sleep in. The price difference is significant.
    Actually if they stopped serving food altogether they would actually fulfill their charter and help to limit the over use of that very precious area.

Quote Originally Posted by frieden
    I've never been to that area, so I can't give my opinion here, but as a thru hiker in planning, I'm very interested in the topic. Hiking with my service dog, I am not expecting to get a work-for-stay option anywhere along the AT. Mostly, we'll be in the tent. The huts are too expensive? How expensive? How difficult is it to tent in the Whites?
    You may have answered this some place else, but why do you have a service dog?

Images

Default AMC v. AT

Just a thought, after reading the posts on the issue of the huts of the AT going thru the Whites: I haven't experienced them, so just from my perspective on the readings: where does the AMC take over the use of the AT, seeing as how the AT volunteers made the trail, and then the AMC comes in and builds these HUTS so THEY can CHARGE the use of them...? my solution though not feasable. move the AT away from the AMC reach thru the Whites or arond them and charge them to BUILD or so called-- make improvements--then charge lease fees for each improvement they deem necessary per year) they seem to think are needed to the max.. the local land use commission of NH(if they have one) should be held liable for these not needed IMPROVEMENTS...there goes the "wilderness" experience!

The AT uses AMC trails which were there long before the AT was conceived.

Blue Jay, my service dog allows me to safely go out of the house, and does a number of things for me. If that sounds vague, it's because it is. I don't want to be rude, but I don't feel comfortable discussing things like that, with people I don't know. I hope you can understand. I went into a little more detail in hiking with dogs.

Default Mountains and mole hills section has been closed

hello,

I just thought I would mention..that the Mountains and Molehills BB on the AMC website (www.outdoors.com then click on bulletin boards) has been closed by the AMC.

There was a very lively discussion about the AMC huts..and If I recall..I myself was the orignally poster (having been a little upset at the price 0f 80 bucks a night for bunk dinner and breakfast).

The AMC does do a good serice regarding edcation of ecology and LNT principles and perhaps they encourage conservation through exploration. But for sure they are out to make money first and formost. It costs now 50 bucks a year JUST to be a member.

I best stop here before I really get ranting. yeah I am a member myself..have been for years.. but I plan to let membership lapse. They truly do cater primarily to the upper class!

DavidNH

There are PLENTY of folks willing to pay the hut rates and annual dues. You won't be missed by the AMC.

Journal Entries
    Images

$96 in 2006.

And they don't even put a mint on your pillow, much less turn down your bed at night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++