WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Honey Buns

Default Honey Buns

Hoping someone with some nutritional knowledge/expertise can jump in.

I picked up a Honey Bun in the convenience store today. It was 38 cents, and packed a whopping 480 calories.

I'd love to hear some arguments against not eating these to get cheap calories when in town on a thru hike.

Images

Honey bun no good for you
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Hoping someone with some nutritional knowledge/expertise can jump in.

I picked up a Honey Bun in the convenience store today. It was 38 cents, and packed a whopping 480 calories.

I'd love to hear some arguments against not eating these to get cheap calories when in town on a thru hike.
    i would argue for eating something big, heavy & full of calories while in town (read: gigantic steak, potatoes & beer).

then throw the honey buns in your pack for cheap calories on the trail. i carried them most of the trail.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Genuine junk food. I ate them on the trail. They were the only item at breakfast that lasted beyond an hour before I was starving again. At a trail magic stop I had three of them. Boy did I hike well after that! But I would only eat them after you have been hiking for many weeks and have a better metabolism to digest the fat and carbs. And then say good-bye to the junk when you get back home. I miss Dunkin Donuts

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

in the winter i would cut in half and make a peanut-butter + raisin sandwich. or sprincle a pack of oatmeal on the peanut-butter.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Those are good. I also loved Little Debbie snacks like those nutty bars. Then again, I also loved eating those Fruit Pies for breakfast. How I wish I could still eat some of those trail foods at home and not gain weight. However, on the trail, they are good fat and carb calories. If you want nutrition pack out some fruit to go with it.

never really got tired of GOOD honey buns
    snicker bars came close

I work at Mckee Foods which makes Little Debbie Honey Buns. I could eat 10 every day if I wanted to, but I don't.

We just started making a Jumbo Honey Bun. It's the Porterhouse of honey buns. My heart hurts looking at it.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

A steady diet of Honey buns is no good for you, but on the trial , they really get you moving in the morning. I'll have to look for the new jumbo buns. I usually try to find the iced buns, they run about 600 calories and last at least 5 miles before the crash.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I love honey buns and pop tarts, but they're an occassional treat. Junk food is junk food, on trail or off.

Although foods like this are tempting, and probably OK once in a while, I wouldn't want to make it a main staple of my diet. Baked cookies and cakes, pies, etc... are fattening and not really healthy. And nowadays, unfortunately, trans-fats have entered into the equation. These fats are preferred by commercial food companies because they cause their products to stay fresher longer (increased shelf life) resulting in more money for the seller and manufacturer in the long run, with possibly also less overall cost to manufacture. Trans-fats, and partially hydrogenated fats are not healthy, and it is not good to consume them too often:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trans-fat/CL00032

Bring a good toothbrush, I don't know how many folks go to bed with a mouthful of sugar, but if you're on an LDHike, this can get to your tooth...I mean teeth.
    ad astra per aspera

I walk 7-10 miles almost every day...sometimes on a trail sometime not but as soon as I'm done I eat two honey buns with a dark chocolate bar. On days I don't walk I don't get the buns and choc. Yum.. I think I'm gonna go walk now!
    As far as nutrition goes it's sugar, carbs and fat. It's probably not the best food to be eating for anyone but if you are overweight with high cholesterol this is not for you.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    I work at Mckee Foods which makes Little Debbie Honey Buns. I could eat 10 every day if I wanted to, but I don't.

We just started making a Jumbo Honey Bun. It's the Porterhouse of honey buns. My heart hurts looking at it.
    Talk about a hikers dream job!!!!
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

I wonder if they would sponsor hikers? It would be cool to get a regular supply box from them full of high calorie tasty goodness on the trail. You'd instantly become the most popular guy in the shelter.

Stir Fry

I'm doing a section in spring breakfest is always a problem for me I'll have to give Honey buns a try. I do not normaly eat them but I do like them.

I'd eat a 6 pack of these for breakfast on the trail when I could get them. Yum! "If the furnace is hot enough, anything will burn."

Try the fried fruit pies...real popular down south here. The Krispy Kream apple are my favorite.

LOL flashback to wacky cards !
    Thanks for that....
    ad astra per aspera

Journal Entries
    Images

Yea, one should not Google images "Honeybuns" without the filter on.... I didn't know it's a Pregnant thing.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++