WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

You're planning to camp and hike this coming summer? Are you in school this year or working at a job? Have you done any hiking at all? If not, Cookerhiker's advice sounds like your best move:

Camp on National Forest land near a water source at the foot a mountain with at least a 1,500' ascent. Hike up it every day - you'll get in shape and likely build self-confidence. As Cleaner said, rotate your campsite every 28 days both for legal compliance and for variety. Camp a few miles (but at least 3) from a road to a trail town for your resupply.
    Sounds like you might have a number of things going on that you should begin sorting out BEFORE you head out to the wilderness.
    Last edited by berkshirebirder; 12-06-2010 at 15:47.

Why not just join the Rainbow Family. All you need is a belly button......

You are from Ohio. You do not have a lot of money or experience. It is free to camp in National Forests (albeit with a few regulations.) Wayne State National Forest covers a large amount of Southern Ohio. It is free to camp there. Get some topo maps to find water sources to camp near. You can probably find a big rock or something for weight lifting. It is closer to home, and more appropriate for what you want to do. Try that first. Camping on the AT for months is not appropriate for what you want to do. Besides, if you want to get away from people, the AT is not the place to do it.

Why can't people think outside of the AT box? It's a big country.

U dont have to pay for shuttles...u stick ur thumb out...Dont go to Walmart and buy heavy gear and then leave it in the middle of the woods when ur sick of being out there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Concealed View Post
    Hey everyone. So basically my goal is to find a place where I can get away from home for a couple months and get into shape before college. My first idea was to try thru hiking for 2100 miles, but then I realized I really just have the gear, or the money to do something like that. So then I was thinking, that maybe I could set me up a tent campsite somewhere along the A.T, and just stay there for 3-5 months, hiking around everyday. I'd plan to keep my food supply in the tent, which would mostly be roman noodles, and proteins shakes. Problem is, by what I've read, that would just ask for bears or other creatures. So my question is, is there particular spots on the A.T, where I could do this? Or even park my car next to my tent? That way I could bring some weights or something to lift. Or am I better off just finding a campsite, with some trails around their area?
    Thanks.
    I do believe that most of us would considered this as squatting and I personaly think it would not be a good idea. I would park at one end and start hiking and go as far as you can get and then get a ride back to your car.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

Two questions: What are Roman noodles? Don't you think you'll be too old for a thru hike in 2100?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Hey everyone, ty for all the responses. As to those of you who asked when I'm wanting to do this, my plan is to do it after Christmas. I still have thru hiking in mind. I'm just afraid that once I get there, I won't find the things I need to resupply on, an will just have a lot of trouble, therefor making me want to quit. Like I said my biggest concerns that I can think of, is the food and water. How do you resupply on the A.T? Is there water fountain type things? Or do you have to go into town for that too? I really do want to do this, it's just that I'm nervous as hell about trying it.

Also, I heard one or two of you say you've seen people carry a whole food supply for the 2100 miles? I may be able to do this, as the protein powder that last for about 5 months worth, only weighs around 5lbs if that. It's mainly the water that will weigh me down. So if I don't have to go into town for that, I may be good. But like I said, I've never really done overnight hiking before, staying in the wilderness. But I do know that I've always liked the type of stuff that was related to it. Such as hiking on long trails(not overnight) exploring, etc. I also do have some experience with carrying heavy weight during long hikes from the army. The only things that will be new to me is:

1. Getting the food(If needed.)
    2. Getting the water.
    3. Setting up a tent.
    4. Hanging my food.
    5. How to wash up everyday.
    6. And how to not get lost.

Also, my planned start date is between Dec 10th - Jan 1st.

I strongly encourage you to go out for an overnight and then a few 2 or 3 night hikes to get a taste of it before you commit to heading out for months.

The questions you enumerated in your last post are good ones, and the fact that you're asking them (which is good, mind you) shows that you need to do some research and get some experience under your belt before you go for broke (so to speak).

1. Carry enough food to get you to the next resupply (requires some research to know how long that is, from point to point)
    2. See #1. There are water sources all along the trail, but you need to know where they are.
    3. Different for each tent model. Practice in your yard before you go hiking with it. Don't forget to seam seal it.
    4. 10 feet off the ground and 4 feet from any tree trunk (also 4 feet below the branch from which it's hanging is preferable). This is what I do...I've seen different rules of thumb.
    5. Don't wash in water sources. Take your water at least 100 yards away from the source and wash there.
    6. Don't go off-trail. Carry AT maps for the section you're hiking. Carry a compass (although you won't really need it if you stay on-trail).

Your planned start date is very cold.

Images

Yes, there are water "fountains" on the AT.

There is a lot on this site to completely inform you about the AT, including basic info about going to camp anywhere really. Take plenty of time to peruse it all.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Okay cool. I think the thru hike is somethin I'm going to give a shot then, and continue my research. I'm also going to find a good meal plan to have, that I could pack 5 months worth. I don't think the weight will be the problem, just need to make enough room into the pack. Do dufflebags work well? Like the ones you get in the army? I know those have plenty of room.

So would it be okay for me to start in Georgia, at the end of December?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
    I strongly encourage you to go out for an overnight and then a few 2 or 3 night hikes to get a taste of it before you commit to heading out for months.

The questions you enumerated in your last post are good ones, and the fact that you're asking them (which is good, mind you) shows that you need to do some research and get some experience under your belt before you go for broke (so to speak).

1. Carry enough food to get you to the next resupply (requires some research to know how long that is, from point to point)
    2. See #1. There are water sources all along the trail, but you need to know where they are.
    3. Different for each tent model. Practice in your yard before you go hiking with it. Don't forget to seam seal it.
    4. 10 feet off the ground and 4 feet from any tree trunk (also 4 feet below the branch from which it's hanging is preferable). This is what I do...I've seen different rules of thumb.
    5. Don't wash in water sources. Take your water at least 100 yards away from the source and wash there.
    6. Don't go off-trail. Carry AT maps for the section you're hiking. Carry a compass (although you won't really need it if you stay on-trail).

Your planned start date is very cold.
    I will also do what you said. Ty.
    As for the food, I'm going to see if it's possible for me to bring a couple months worth along, if it seems to be too much however, I suppose I'll have to see how much I need to bring before I resupply.

If you're going to thru-hike, you need to plan for about 2 pounds of food per day on average. 5 months worth would weigh 300 pounds. Nowhere near practical.

With food and water, I carry just over 30 pounds (that's 3 or 4 days of food and enough water to get down the trail to the next water source)...I wouldn't want to carry, probably couldn't carry actually, any more than that.

*That is, just over 30 pounds all-inclusive. That's clothing, pack, food, water, everything.

matty is that you???????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Why not just join the Rainbow Family. All you need is a belly button......
    I have to agree with Spokes on this one....

Camping out long term, anywhere, is generally not acceptable. In both NF and NPS, you generally have a 14 day limit on staying in one place. After that, the rules vary-from moving x-number of feet to another site to vacating the Park or Forest for x-number of days. So far as thru hiking goes, carrying 2100 miles worth of food is impractical simply due to weight. Ramen noodles and protein shakes may work for car camping, but not for long distance hiking. You would never be able to replace the calories you burn off.
    So far as duffel bags go, yeah they could work, but in your original post you stated you had the gear. If this is the gear you have got, I would strongly rethink your options. The gear nand mindset needed to complete a long hike are totally different from those of someone who is simply car camping. You could start in winter, many people do, but I wonder if you are prepared for the harsh winters. I've seen many people hauled off mountains who weren't prepared. Check in with reality. Otherwise, give the rainbows a shot.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Yes, there are water "fountains" on the AT.
    Yes, they help you wash down all the corn dogs being sold by vendors along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    ........ So far as thru hiking goes, carrying 2100 miles worth of food is impractical simply due to weight........ You would never be able to replace the calories you burn off.
    Restless is right, unless of course you can find anyone still selling Soylent Green wafers.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Hike to get in shape? Dude, you need to get in shape BEFORE you plan a thru hike.....surely you're not serious? Maybe you been living in the big city too long??

So would it be okay for me to start in Georgia, at the end of December? --Concealed

Interesting user name. The fact that you're asking this question three weeks before you intend to hike, that you have no overnight hiking experience, and that you don't seem to have any qualms about doing this tells me you're not really interested in a through hike.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Yes, they help you wash down all the corn dogs being sold by vendors along the way.
    LOL...and there's a Subway just every few miles right beside the trail..LOL... About every 20 miles you will find a Burger King...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++