WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default TT Moment vs SMD LUnar Solo?

I am looking at going UL but definately lightening up A LOT. I have read reviews on both tents, I've seen the moment in action at cumberland gap, never actually witnessed the lunar solo in person does anyone have strong feelings one way or another, also I have done research on the specs just can't decide. Thanks

I recently purchased a SMD Lunar Solo after seeing it in person at Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs, NC. This will replace my Hubba HP I carried on last years thru. Darn thing is lighter and has more room inside too!

Got it home and set it up without any problems- not sure why everyone says it can be a little tricky(?). I'll definitely get a set of longer stakes though.....

Don't think you can go wrong with either.

Journal Entries

Default SMD Lunar Solo

I carried the LS on the PCT this year and liked it a lot. Have not tried the TT, but I guess they're very similar. Whichever you buy, take it out and practice setting it up under different conditions. I was tweaking my rigging all along the way - to get more air flow, less air flow, more tauntness, etc. Good luck.
    Mango

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've got a solo and it works fine. I'm 6'2" and without a good pitch it can be somewhat cramped but if I can find a good spot I can get me and my gear in the tent without being too cramped.

Nice vestibule too.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

There's an active thread about the TT Moment over here. I've been a satisfied owner of the original Lunar Solo. The "inner wall" mentioned by Franco in Post #10 is an interesting enhancement, although I'm still not sure it's worth an additional 4 ounces.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I have the Lunar Solo and love it. While I've never used it I have read numerous reports of heavy condensation issues in the TT Moment.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

I look after Tarptent in Australia so keep this in mind...
    The Moment is the easiest /fastest tent I have ever put up bar the instant pop up type shelters.
    (of course the pop up thingos are not the same category and take ages to put them back ...)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZQKivY2SA

It only needs 2 pegs to stand up, that is a lot less then most "freestanding" LW shelters (to me a tent is the bit that keeps wind and rain at bay not the inner...)
    One nice thing is that when you set the tent up where it looks flat but isn't , often enough by changing the angle a bit solves that problem.
    With the Moment you just unpeg one end and turn the shelter to the desired angle and peg that end again. that is a 10 sec job.
    To get stability in moderate to strong winds you need another two pegs and guylines.
    As far as condensation, ( a lot, dry as a bone...) that has a lot to do with personal opinion.
    A bit like to me hot means over 100 f but if you live in Anchorage hot could be 80f..
    (Ever seen a tent described as palatial yet looks like a coffin to you ?)
    So unless you have two shelters side by side with an occupant of a similar physical characteristics (some sweat more than others..) it is always a bit hard to establish the validity for some comments.
    Fact is that when people like a shelter they will minimise the problems, the converse is also true .
    If you look carefully at the design you will see that the Moment has two large end vents (that can be closed) two top vents (that can also be closed) as well as the ability to lift and clip the sides up, so if you want there are plenty of ventilation options.
    If you are in an area where you do get a lot of condensation (that is , for example, the ground is often wet when it hasn't rained) then the liner will catch the possible drips and prevent you from touching the wet walls.
    That has not been a problem for me but it could be for you..
    Franco

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

The 6MS Lunar Solo is a great tent, but I can't stand their customer service.

At the PCT kickoff this year a friend bought a Wild Oaisis and then they wanted $30 to let him use their seal sealer on it. Henry Shires came over and showed him how to do it so he would know in the future and let him use his sealer for free even though it was a 6MD tent.

Also when I was on my AT thru I had some packpack issues with my 6MD pack. I contacted the company and the reply was "I'm leaving the country in a week and won't be back for a few months. We'll help you when you get back."

I haven't bought a product from them since.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Chance09, what kind of SMD pack do you have? I ask because the Starlite is on my list...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with SMD, they've always been super nice to me. At the '09 kickoff they let me use the seam sealer for free after buying a Lunar Duo...and even let another guy use it who had bought a competitors tent. Go figure!

I don't have anything to add to the original post as I've only used the lunar solo and duo, but I've been very happy with both. I've used them in rain, sleet, snow, high winds and never been let down!

Default SMD Service

Chance,

I'm sorry you've got a back impression of SMD service. But I though I'd like to make a couple of comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance09 View Post
    The 6MS Lunar Solo is a great tent, but I can't stand their customer service.

At the PCT kickoff this year a friend bought a Wild Oaisis and then they wanted $30 to let him use their seal sealer on it. Henry Shires came over and showed him how to do it so he would know in the future and let him use his sealer for free even though it was a 6MD tent.
    I'm sorry Chance this does not sound like us at all. First every year I bring premade seam sealer to the Kickoff and distribute it freely to anyone who needs to seal or touchup their tent. We do charge $30 normally to seamseal tents in house, but we don't seamseal them at the kickoff. There's just not enough time. We will help people as needed.

In addition we bring sewing machines and supplies to fix tents packs and most gear. Over the years I've repaired many tents and packs including ours, Tarptent, ULA, Gossamer Gear and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance09 View Post
    Also when I was on my AT thru I had some packpack issues with my 6MD pack. I contacted the company and the reply was "I'm leaving the country in a week and won't be back for a few months. We'll help you when you get back."
    There was a time a number of years ago when I'd close up shop for a few weeks to go backpacking. But never for months and I've not been out of the country in 20 years.

Now days there are a couple of us so, unless we're both traveling, repairs take less than a week.

It was Brian at ULA that would close up each fall for a multi-month hike.

Ron

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-wreck View Post
    I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with SMD, they've always been super nice to me. At the '09 kickoff they let me use the seam sealer for free after buying a Lunar Duo...and even let another guy use it who had bought a competitors tent. Go figure!

I don't have anything to add to the original post as I've only used the lunar solo and duo, but I've been very happy with both. I've used them in rain, sleet, snow, high winds and never been let down!
    Yeah, I sent a Swift pack back to have altered to fit me better, no problem. Also sent back my Lunar Solo to fix a tear - also no problem.

I'd just soon pay someone to seamseal my tent so I could be doing something else but that's just me....

Images

Not sure if you've considered it, but the Gossamer Gear "The One" is also in this same class of shelter. I have The One and a Wild Oasis. I really like them both. The Wild Oasis is slightly lighter and a bit easier to pitch, but The One offers a full floor and sealed bug proofing.

The netting at the bottom of the Wild Oasis seems to work quite well, once you get the insects out that were covered when the shelter is pitched. Had a difficult time getting some bees out on my last trip. Wouldn't have been a problem with a floored shelter.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Lunar Solo has a bigger footprint, and is harder to get a good pitch. The Moment needs a little more thought in site selection, and a footprint cut to overlap the vestibule (cuts down on condensation). Both good tents. I think the Moment is a little more wind stable. I sold my LS to finance my Moment, so I guess that's my vote. Henry @ Tarptent has gone above and beyond what was necessary for good customer service for me, when I had an issue with a Double Rainbow.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I've been thinking about a Moment, my Rainbow is getting a little worn. The thing that's keeping me from buying is that I like to take the strut out of my Rainbow and stuff it in a sack. You can't remove the struts (which I think are 18" long) from the Moment so your stuck with rolling it.

Yes the struts are 18" long.
    If I were keen enough on the idea of removing the struts i would modify the bottom of those sleeves to slide the struts in an out.
    But to me that just adds complexity and slows down the set up / take down speed and would add the chance of forgetting/losing one of them.
    I have a shelter of similar shape that has a strut at each end , and for me having it built in would be better.
    Of course that has a lot to do with the fact that I always roll the tent over the pole (and struts if there) and never stuff them ...
    Franco

Default TT Moment

Read my review under "Shelters" in the other part of the forums.

There is no perfect tent" but the Moment comes close to perfection for a 3 season solo tent.

The TT Sublite Sil is 4 oz. lighter because it uses your hiking poles for support. It's similar to the Moment but takes a bit longer to set up. It does have a shorter footprint but may not be as good in the wind as The Moment.

Eric B.

Garlic
    Images

I haven't used either of those two tents, but I am a big fan of Tarptent when it comes to customer service and excellent design. My current favorite is the TT Contrail, which I like because of its utter simplicity and fail-safe design--no hoop poles to mess with or fail. I have over 5000 trail miles on my current tent and it looks ready for 5000 more. When it comes time to replace it, I will be very tempted by the Moment. Despite the hoop pole, it looks like an excellent design.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Hi Garlic
    recently I had another Contrail that has done the triple Crown, as well as several other long walks, set up in my backyard.
    Over 400 nights in it. Not bad for the money..
    I added my rear strut to it to keep Christine (GT) happy for another few hundred miles...
    The Moment however is (I feel...) a lot easier to use particularly for people that are not familiar with tarp type set ups.
    It really is about as easy as it gets to erect.
    Franco

Images

Franco, I am going to order a Moment in a week or two and looking at the ordering what is the liner for. I was thinking of just putting tyvek under the tent. I am also assuming that the guylines and two stakes come with the tent. Do you have any input on this. Thanks
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++