WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Money Matters

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Question Money Matters

So . . . . with that great article from Weathercarrot in mind and not seeing a specific thread for this concern elsewhere, and with the intention of not comparing who has the most $$ saved up, this is still a concern of ours.

Due to many things, DH and I have not saved up nearly as much as we thought we would. As it stands now (we have to go over our budget again tonight) we will have barely $2,000 per person for the trail. That includes ALL food, possible nights @ hostels, gear replacement, etc. We don't drink/smoke so no extraneous money there.

Is it unreasonable to think that $4,000 will sustain us for 5-6 months? How much are you guys expecting to spend?
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

Would like to mention that we're having a relative drive us down to Springer (paying for gas, at least half depending on their kind refusal) so about $200 there - still a sight cheaper than 2 plane tickets/train tickets, plus no need for a hotel or shuttle . . . .
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Journal Entries
    Images

If you read through alot of the journals and such. You will see alot of people have done it on 2000. Like you say you both have. If you dont go crazy in a town and by all the do dads and crap. I think you should do alright. Are you buying food as you go or are you doing drops as well or a mix?
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

If you plan to go and understand you will need to enjoy a Spartan journey, attempt to hike on the cheap, spending the majority of your time on the trail hiking and camping, and not going into town for the creature comforts, then maybe you will be able to. I think, however, it would be wise to have extra money in reserve, just in case. Otherwise your thru-hike may wind up turning in to one long section hike.

Images

I'm just thinking outloud here, but the areas that would concern me the most are unforeseen medical / dental / injury expenses, gear replacement (boots and socks come to mind especially, but also other major items like tents can get ripped up / fail, and thru's often change out some of their gear if they find it isn't as suitable as they thought), lodging expenses if weather forces you off the trail (what's your start date?), and transportation expenses if you have to take a break for family issues or obligations (medical, death, weddings, etc). The medical expense possibility is hard to put any numbers on, either from a probability or financial standpoint. Obviously, insurance helps. Most probably just roll the dice on actually planning for this possibility though.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    If you read through alot of the journals and such. You will see alot of people have done it on 2000. Like you say you both have. If you dont go crazy in a town and by all the do dads and crap. I think you should do alright. Are you buying food as you go or are you doing drops as well or a mix?
    We're buying it all as we go. I know there is some convenience to doing maildrops, but we're not taking a cell phone (as we don't have one) and I'd have no reasonable way to call a post office if we were behind schedule or anything of the sort. Plus, I'd flip my lid if food I already paid for got lost in transit.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I'm just thinking outloud here, but the areas that would concern me the most are unforeseen medical / dental / injury expenses, gear replacement (boots and socks come to mind especially, but also other major items like tents can get ripped up / fail, and thru's often change out some of their gear if they find it isn't as suitable as they thought), lodging expenses if weather forces you off the trail (what's your start date?), and transportation expenses if you have to take a break for family issues or obligations (medical, death, weddings, etc). The medical expense possibility is hard to put any numbers on, either from a probability or financial standpoint. Obviously, insurance helps. Most probably just roll the dice on actually planning for this possibility though.
    Figuring for gear replacement, but had not thought about getting home for a family emergency - we will have to deal with that as it comes, I suppose. We're leaving March 14th tentatively - however we have the flexibility to stay another week or two to work and save that $$.

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    If you plan to go and understand you will need to enjoy a Spartan journey, attempt to hike on the cheap, spending the majority of your time on the trail hiking and camping, and not going into town for the creature comforts, then maybe you will be able to. I think, however, it would be wise to have extra money in reserve, just in case. Otherwise your thru-hike may wind up turning in to one long section hike.

This trip is very much a challenging nature trip for DH and I; towns for us are only to resupply food and snack on a ribeye with mashed potatoes, we're only passing through to get to more trees
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Gheparda View Post

This trip is very much a challenging nature trip for DH and I; towns for us are only to resupply food and snack on a ribeye with mashed potatoes, we're only passing through to get to more trees
    Great! But you better make that a burger and fries instead!

Images

Would like to mention that we're having a relative drive us down to Springer (paying for gas, at least half depending on their kind refusal) so about $200 there - still a sight cheaper than 2 plane tickets/train tickets, plus no need for a hotel or shuttle . . . .
    Is your relative driving you non-stop down and non-stop for their return trip back? Seems there may be more than just gas, maybe a motel plus their expense for food, tolls, etc. The reason I'm asking is I'm faced with the same issue, but flying with gear is a hassle, shuttles, hostels, or possibly sending gear ahead all add their own cost/problems. So the extra expense of driving may be best to eliminate many variables (?).

Curious what others have to say...
    Simple is good.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    Great! But you better make that a burger and fries instead!
    Lol - well, a ribeye once a month, I don't think DH would let me get one every 3-5 days!

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Is your relative driving you non-stop down and non-stop for their return trip back? Seems there may be more than just gas, maybe a motel plus their expense for food, tolls, etc. The reason I'm asking is I'm faced with the same issue, but flying with gear is a hassle, shuttles, hostels, or possibly sending gear ahead all add their own cost/problems. So the extra expense of driving may be best to eliminate many variables (?).

Curious what others have to say...
    It's about 11 hours to get to Springer - drive straight down mid-day, taking shifts driving and sleeping - and since it'll likely be my mom and she won't accept our paying for a hotel room for her or even food, we'll at least be using our car and paying for gas, partial if not full.

I like flying but yeah - I'm not trusting my hiking gear to a harassed airline. "What do you mean my bag is in Newark?!"
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Journal Entries
    Images

We're buying it all as we go. I know there is some convenience to doing maildrops, but we're not taking a cell phone (as we don't have one) and I'd have no reasonable way to call a post office if we were behind schedule or anything of the sort. Plus, I'd flip my lid if food I already paid for got lost in transit.

Figuring for gear replacement, but had not thought about getting home for a family emergency - we will have to deal with that as it comes, I suppose. We're leaving March 14th tentatively - however we have the flexibility to stay another week or two to work and save that $$.

sounds like you both have thought of a good option of staying a little longer and makeing a safty net in cash. Honest thats a great idea! I am hikeing NOBO and then flip flopping because I live in a trail town here in Virginia. Sounds Like your realistic and you have a great idea's for both of you. Yeah traveling by plane sucks now. If you look at the images on the left in my profile window this is the town I live in and its all the facilities and stuff. Trying to help anybody i can because we all are going to have to help each ther one way or another at times. LOL
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

we did it for $5000 (or $2500 per person) watching what we spent, but we certainly were not overly frugal. we did have free transpo both to and from the trail though.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I had to read this twice. You have $2,000 per person, also paid for is your food, and hostel stays? Do I have that right? If so, being you don't smoke or drink I think you will be fine. If you have to pay for food and hostels from the 2k then it will be tight.

Images

Lol - well, a ribeye once a month, I don't think DH would let me get one every 3-5 days!
    I always did a ribeye or delmonico for most state line crossings, the NH crossing has a co-op on the trail in Hanover and bought the steak and hiked about 10miles north and cooked in the pit at the shelter that night... best steak of my life I tells ya. Bought a bean salad at the deli and cooked up some insta potatoes, no fork or knife used stick for tongs and picked it up and ate it with my fingers. cost about $10-11 for 1 and considered buying a bottle of wine and emptying it into my Nalgene.

Images

Also I see you did not mention how you will get home from the trail. Is that paid for is it coming out of the 2k per person?
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    we did it for $5000 (or $2500 per person) watching what we spent, but we certainly were not overly frugal. we did have free transpo both to and from the trail though.
    That sounds promising - unless your $2,500 didn't cover trail food, hostels, gear replacement. Are you the folks that wrote the book? I had seen it on Amazon and meant to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    I had to read this twice. You have $2,000 per person, also paid for is your food, and hostel stays? Do I have that right? If so, being you don't smoke or drink I think you will be fine. If you have to pay for food and hostels from the 2k then it will be tight.
    Sorry to not be more clear - that $2,000 is to buy us food, possible hostel stays, gear replacement. Thus my husband freaking out. This is a wilderness walk for us so we're avoiding hostel/hotel stays as much as possible - don't know how much that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyLeggs View Post
    Also I see you did not mention how you will get home from the trail. Is that paid for is it coming out of the 2k per person?
    My husband's father said if we finish the trail he will gladly drive out and pick us up. That's an offer I can't refuse.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
    I always did a ribeye or delmonico for most state line crossings, the NH crossing has a co-op on the trail in Hanover and bought the steak and hiked about 10miles north and cooked in the pit at the shelter that night... best steak of my life I tells ya. Bought a bean salad at the deli and cooked up some insta potatoes, no fork or knife used stick for tongs and picked it up and ate it with my fingers. cost about $10-11 for 1 and considered buying a bottle of wine and emptying it into my Nalgene.
    Yeah, I'm already fantasizing about packing steak into the mountains in GA and TN those first few weeks - can you say 'foodgasm'?
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Images

I like flying but yeah - I'm not trusting my hiking gear to a harassed airline. "What do you mean my bag is in Newark?!"
    Funny you mentioned "Newark". That's where I would likely fly from, if I had to fly. Standard delay there is 1 hour + 1 hour on tarmac + 1 hour from parking area +1 hour in security if its busy (maybe exagerating by a few min). I'd rather walk to Springer!
    Simple is good.

Journal Entries
    Images

I will be honest with you. Your going to want to stay atleast once or twice at a hostel or hotel. Roughing it is great and all. But even in the Miliatary they switch you in out of the field to get a hot shower and some good sack time. You have to have a little break atleast on the trail. I would reccomend ordering your guide and then figure out. Some break time based on the information provided about the towns. It helps metally as well as physically. My personal experiance about this goes way beyond backpacking.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I don't know that I've ever seen this mentioned but it's so obvious it probably has and I've just missed it......

One way to make a hike less expensive is to hike more mileage per day.

By hiking just 3 extra miles a day you save 270 miles over 3 months - that's 270 miles you didn't have to spend extra for.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Funny you mentioned "Newark". That's where I would likely fly from, if I had to fly. Standard delay there is 1 hour + 1 hour on tarmac + 1 hour from parking area +1 hour in security if its busy (maybe exagerating by a few min). I'd rather walk to Springer!
    where you from on the shore? I grew up in Atlantic Highlands

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++