WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    maintenance man

Default best material for 3 seasons socks?

As usual when I have question, it's best to go to the source of accumulated wisdom from the trail. Irregardless of brand name, which often just jacks up the price, what materials have you all found best in 3 season socks? Every manufacturer says theirs are the best, but I'll be honest I'm looking for a Walmart/K-mart alternative if possible.

Thanks

I like Smartwool.
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Smartwool is my favorite also. It is interesting that one much type a longer note than one word in order to Submit Reply.

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    Smartwool is my favorite also. It is interesting that one much type a longer note than one word in order to Submit Reply.
    I'm partial to Thorlos, but there is something to be said for plain old low-tech rag wool. I've got a pair ready to go on a backpacking trip starting tomorrow.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Just My Opinion ...

From years of experience and literally drawers FULL of hiking socks, I have zoned in on the Thorlo lighthikers with CoolMax. I still keep a ready supply of of the REI Hiker (Merino Wool - Smartwool knock-offs) on hand but for me at least, those light hikers are the best overall. Not terribly bulky but do have extra padding in the toe and heel. What I like the most about them is how fast they dry and the fact that my feet stay relatively comfortable even when they get wet. They do a pretty good job of wicking the moisture away from the foot and out into the boot material.

Speaking of "wet" though, I suspect that the sock of choice for an individual hiker would depend a great deal on your perspiration tendencies. The more your feet tend to sweat the more you need a sock that deals well with moisture. One thing I did about that during the warmer months on my thru-hike last year was to add a "CoolMax" liner under the lighthiker sock. Never had a problem with that combination.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

There is also a merino wool-Cool Max combination often discounted at Sierra Trading Post. I've not used them for backpacking because I'm doing the Smartwool/nylon liner thing right now but the wool-CoolMax combos have done great on day hikes, walking around Yellowstone, etc.

FB

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

I went to our local gear supplier here today, they carry a Columbia multi fabric over the calf hunting sock that includes a liner ($14.95) that I'm going to try for the winter portion of this hike. It's thicker and obviously much higher than most hiking socks, but they also carry mid length and shorter pairs which run a few dollars cheaper than most hiking socks I've seen, on average.
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

I tried several sock brands and combinations (with & without liners) while training for my hike. Smartwool was the ones I liked most and used on the trail, they did not give me blisters, except when breaking in new boots on the trail, but they were minimal. I have nothing else since for hiking.

My suggestion is with sock, that you cahnge your socks when youstop for lunch, air the ones out you just took off, in a fine sack hanging from the back of your pack. When you change socks in take a few a minutes and let you feet air out that is even better.

Also when you get to camp in the evening change you r socks again, it is very important you allow your feet to breathe and keep them dry. I would pust my sock in the bottom of sleeping bag at night to dry them out, yes I would have to wash my sleping bag every few weeks, to keep it from smelling, but it was worth having dry clothes.

Default rag wool socks

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    I'm partial to Thorlos, but there is something to be said for plain old low-tech rag wool. I've got a pair ready to go on a backpacking trip starting tomorrow.
    Maybe rag wool socks work for you, but they don't for most people. I'd recommend almost any real hiking sock. My observation is that the natural fiber socks like Smart wool stink much less than the synthetic socks like Ultramax.

Registered User RenaissanceMan98's Avatar

silk liners, wool socks
    "Life is either a daring adventure, or it is nothing at all."

- Helen Keller

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My feet tend to sweat quite a bit, regardless of the temperature or exertion level (lovely). After many years I've hit upon a system that works for me. I bring two pair of SmartWool socks and four pairs of the Fox River liners. The SmartWool's rarely dry out, so I change my liners at least once a day which makes my feet think that they're dry all in all. The liners will dry out unless humidity is above 90% (but I know from experience that they will melt if you get them too close to a fire!).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Rocket GA->ME '04
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by maintenance man
    Every manufacturer says theirs are the best, but I'll be honest I'm looking for a Walmart/K-mart alternative if possible.
    I tried that and it didn't go too well. I got some wool socks at Walmart and while they were OK, they're just no match for good hiking socks, Smartwools, Thorlos, etc. I used them in camp and to sleep in, but I stopped using them for hiking fairly early.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Smartwool for me...adrenelin 3/4 are super in summer.
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

bridgedales work best for me. they're new wool/nylon/isofil/lycra blend. made in ireland, i think. they've outlasted my smartwools.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Hike in sneakers

I hike in sneakers now; have had good luck with various types of Coolmax running socks.

When I do hike in boots (rarely..mainly for trail work), had great luck wih a Thorlo wool sock w/ polypro liners.

Use this combo for snowshoeing in my Sorrel Caribous as well.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maintenance man
    As usual when I have question, it's best to go to the source of accumulated wisdom from the trail. Irregardless of brand name, which often just jacks up the price, what materials have you all found best in 3 season socks? Every manufacturer says theirs are the best, but I'll be honest I'm looking for a Walmart/K-mart alternative if possible.

Thanks
    I went to Wal-Mart to buy socks for my thru. I bought two brands. One was Woolrich, the other was Remington. I have had all brands of socks in the past (Thorlos, Smartwool, and many other popular brands) and the Woolrich socks wore just as well and were just as durable as the popular brands. They come in different thicknesses, and are the same material as more popular brands, ie, a synthetic/wool blend. I think they sell for $5.97 per pair. They were fantastic and held up throughout our entire thru.

The Remington pair were just as durable, but did not hold up as well. the elastic wore out very quickly and they would bunch up in my boot.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Section Hiker

I use both Smartwool and Bridgedale. Bridgedales, with more synthetic in the material, dry faster and feel less hot in summer to me than Smartwools. However, Smartwools are far more available, and one sale sometimes. Thorlos never worked for me - their synthetic makeup seemed to make my feet sweat more, and they felt wet much faster. Merino wool can absorb a lot of moisture before it feels wet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates
    I went to Wal-Mart to buy socks for my thru. I bought two brands. One was Woolrich, the other was Remington. They come in different thicknesses, and are the same material as more popular brands, ie, a synthetic/wool blend.
    I tried the Woolrich wool socks, and bought those because they had the highest ratio of wool to other materials. They were warm - really warm. Too warm for an early October hike.

They were the 'expedition' weight I believe. I found them to be too think. I wore liners but my feet would sweat so much I think that had a lot to do with it. I even tried changing socks often, but it seemed that the socks were too thick and bunched up. I am going to go with some Thorlos next time and see.

I only found that one thickness of Woolrich socks, and unless I was going to do some really cold weather hiking I think they were overkill. Did you find various thicknesses of the Woolrich brand socks?
    "If trees could talk, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Maybe....if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason" - Jack Handey

Images

Wool! I wear them 4 season, don't really wear any other socks. I do have a few dress socks that are probably cotton or ??? & I have a pair of UL liner socks I wear in camp made of poly.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

I agree with Footslogger.

The only better socks I ever had were Scots socks from Black's of Hawick, Scotland I purchased at the student bookstore in a beautiful valley south of Bellingham, WA. The socks were itchy-scratchy socks, stimulating the feet, dark brown mixed-color dobby double twist yarn, double weight, and double layer the entire footbed extending around the heel and up the achilles tendon area.

I once wore these socks on an 18 days mountain range traverse without a problem.

I gave them to a friend hitchhiking to Europe, along with my super Kelty poncho. Don't ask me how he hitchhiked the ocean. He sent me a postcard, from Cyprus, thanking me for those socks!

I once wrote a letter to the socks store in Hawick, Scotland, subsequently sending them an International Money Order.

They sent me blue lovat size 10 1/2 men's long socks for wearing with a kilt ..not even!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++