WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Car storage

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Default Car storage

I'm planning a PCT thruhike next season, and was wondering, what should I do with my truck? When I did the AT it was easy to leave it at my parent's house, but right now that's not the best option, as they're over in Florida and I'm in Texas. My sister offered to drive it once in a while, so I may do that, leave it here with her.

But if I don't do that, what are my storage options. Do storage facilities have places to store cars? What would the cost be, do you think? And what do I need to do to prepare my truck for long term storage?

Most storage facilities around here want a 1 year lease (but it never hurts to ask). Yes, their are definitely units large enough to hold your truck. Don't forget to take the collision insurance off of it if it's not going to be driven. I'd like the comprehensive on just incase, and that's not the biggest expense anyway.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

I already have absolute minimal insurance, so that's not an issue. Are the storage places pretty pricey? Do they have outdoor storage (not in a unit), and is that a decent option if so?

Garlic
    Images

A lot depends on how valuable the truck is. And I predict it will at least seem less valuable to you after your PCT hike. When I finished the PCT and came back to rescue my car from a friend's yard, I really didn't care very much about the car any more. I remember wondering why, before the hike, it bothered me that the CD player didn't work, and why did I even once think it was important enough to fix it?

It's only five months of inactivity, so there isn't that much that needs to be done to store it. The tires, battery, oil, gas, antifreeze etc should all be OK, especially in summer. At least I've never had a problem storing a vehicle for less than six months. Before you go, top off the tank and all fluids and tire pressures. Maybe change the oil and wiper blades when you get back. If someone can drive it once a month, perfect.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

It would be best if someone drove it around everyonce in a awhile to keep the battery charged up and brakes free otherwise just throw some stabli in the gas tank per instructions on bottle. Unhook the battery to keep it from being drained since most new cars have gizmos that pull power even when the cars off.unless you have acess to power get a charger with a storage mode which charges on demand. then depending if mice and other rodents are a problem throw some moth balls in a bowl and set it on the floor inside the truck and maybe throw a bowl of them under the hood to keep them out of the engine bay. I would also get the oil changed a few hunderd miles before your park it as well. As far as a place to store it you'll have to call some of the local storage areas in your area to get the going rates for your area. In my area it can cost anything from $25 to $100 a month depending on the style of storage, just parking it outside in a locked fenced in yard would be at the lower end while an inside storage shed type would be higher.

JoshuaTree, thank you, that helps a lot. Hadn't thought about rodents (though I should have, last summer in Utah I had a packrat keep building a next on the engine block...) Does stabili mean some sort of fuel stabilizer?

I'm starting to think more about it and will probably try to take my sis up on her offer. But I want to know about this so I at least understand my options. But I am a cheap b*stard, so you know...

Stabil is a fuel stablizer I used it all the time when I was working at the golf course I had alot of equipment that would get stored for the winter and I figrued out really quick that the couple bucks a bottle costs is well worth it keeps the gas fresh and keeps it from leaving deposits in the fuel system.
    http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

Just disconnect the battery.
    Good luck finding a place to park it.

When i did the PCT, i paid a lady (friend of a friend) in Vegas to store it and got the cheap flight (I think it was $29 at the time) to San Diego from there.

My brother later picked up the van and came and visited us on the trail.
    '96 PCT'ers may remember that.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    A lot depends on how valuable the truck is. And I predict it will at least seem less valuable to you after your PCT hike. When I finished the PCT and came back to rescue my car from a friend's yard, I really didn't care very much about the car any more. I remember wondering why, before the hike, it bothered me that the CD player didn't work, and why did I even once think it was important enough to fix it?.
    so very true great observtion, after about 2 days on the trail you'll be like, "car?, what car?, who cares"........

yesterday i stored my 68 camaro in someone else's garage
    buy selling it to have a great christmas, pay all my bills and credit cards and to secure my hiking money for nexyt year

Quote Originally Posted by TrippinBTM View Post
    I'm planning a PCT thruhike next season, and was wondering, what should I do with my truck? When I did the AT it was easy to leave it at my parent's house, but right now that's not the best option, as they're over in Florida and I'm in Texas. My sister offered to drive it once in a while, so I may do that, leave it here with her.

But if I don't do that, what are my storage options. Do storage facilities have places to store cars? What would the cost be, do you think? And what do I need to do to prepare my truck for long term storage?
    have a great hike!

++ New Posts ++