WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Tennessee A.T. birds

I'll stick with precedent set when I put Georgia A.T. birds in Trail Concerns, Issues & History rather than Wildlife since this thread is another in a series about bird conservation which is becoming increasingly urgent.

Birds hikers might be expected to see and are less likely to see and why as well as conservation issues related to them will be the topic of this thread. Expect to learn some things about birds you didn't know, to see bird lists and to learn specific information about resident, migrant and breeding birds. There will also be questions hikers can help us answer.

Images

Default Tennessee's Watchable Wildlife

http://tnwatchablewildlife.org/birds.cfm

Facebook

Expect more posts and links in the coming days.

Images

Default Southern Blue Ridge Important Bird Area

All of Tennessee's A.T. has been designated an important bird area (IBA) under the umbrella IBA known as Southern Blue Ridge IBA.

A link and species list will be provided.

Images

Default Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Images

Images

Default Roan Highlands

Some readers may have seen my links to Don Hyatt's pages. The Highlands of Roan are not only of botanical interest, they also provide exceptional bird habitat and birding opportunities.

Today I would like to pay tribute to the foresight of those who recognized the need to protect them for posterity and made it happen. Toward that end, I suggest exploring Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy's website especially SAHC's History.

Later, when I call attention to particular birds hikers may observe, I will have more information to post about specific locations to seek them.

Images

Default Big Bald Banding Station

Images

Default Birds of lower elevations

Most of the information I've found on Tennessee A.T. birds relates to higher elevations. I'm seeking information on the lower, wetter locations and the birds attracted to them.

Can anyone assist by helping to list some of the better lower-elevation birding locations and which species might be observed?

Images

Default Birds of spruce-fir forests

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    The spruce-fir forest of the highest ridges is similar to the boreal forest of Canada, and is the southernmost breeding range of the Black-capped Chickadee, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Blackburnian and Canada warblers, Veery, and Winter Wren.
    There are a number of birds dear to those who post here which seem out of place in Tennessee until one becomes aware of the role elevation plays in determining vegetation. Not only does climbing mountains provide us with physical conditioning and recreation, it allows us the opportunity to visit the kinds of places requiring days and hundreds of miles of travel to experience otherwise.

Images

Default Black-capped Chickadee

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-capped_Chickadee/lifehistory

The Yankee in me thinks spring should begin when a Black-capped Chickadee says so. I wonder how many A.T. hikers walking with spring have actually heard it proclaimed and when and where they were at the time? It would seem through hikers chasing fall should have a better chance.

Referring to Birding.com would lead one to believe Black-capped and Carolina Chickadees and their hybrid offspring are easily distinguished by ear in the field, but, when Googling information about chickadees in GSMNP, I found a study published in The Auk (Tanner, 1952) which mentioned one observation in particular I found to be especially interesting and I will need to quote at a later time.

Where Black-capped and Carolina ranges meet in Pennsylvania and elsewhere it's now thought by some experts chickadee species can only be separated from one another reliably by a blood test. I'd like to know whether hybridization occurs among Tennessee chickadees and how long these species can be expected to remain distinct?

Images

Default Northern Saw-whet Owl

Click on Ned Smith Center to read what recent research has revealed about this species.

Based upon information provided by Tennessee's Watchable Wildlife, the best places to see a Northern Saw-whet Owl may be Roan High Knob and near Clingman's Dome. They are most likely to call on clear, moonlit nights with little or no wind in April and May.

Anyone hear a Saw-whet at one of the locations mentioned or elsewhere?

Images

Default Northern Mockingbird

Visit Tennessee's Watchable Wildlife to learn about Tennessee's state bird.

Images

Default Black-throated Green Warbler

Scott posted Tennessee's Watchable Wildlife's new bird of the week today. Click on the thumbnails for some fine photos!

Images

Default More about mockingbirds

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Visit Tennessee's Watchable Wildlife to learn about Tennessee's state bird.
    Facebook Fan photo and question

Images

Default Bird of the Week

Watchable Wildlife's bird of the week is Louisiana Waterthrush. The best way I know to be advised of the new bird is to become a Facebook fan. Not all birds selected will be A.T. birds.

Images

Default Tennessee Warbler

More information will be made available by Tennessee Watchable Wildlife about Tennessee Warbler, a bird which may or may not belong on a top-10 list of Tennessee A.T. birds. Until then, refer to Cornell's All About Birds to learn why it is so named and its distribution.

Images

Default Specialty license plates

The Watchable Wildlife (Bluebird) license plate helps fund the Watchable Wildlife Endowment Fund. Since the Bluebird plate was first established in 1994, more than 200,000 Tennesseans have purchased one, making it one of the most popular specialty license plates in the state.

For more information about specialty license plates, visit www.tennessee.gov/revenue/vehicle/licenseplates/specialty.htm.

Images

Default Cerulean Warbler

I don't know if Tennessee offers the best chance of encountering a Cerulean Warbler or not, but several weeks ago I learned of reseach being conducted there and have since wanted to provide links. I have also learned of ProAves' Cerulean Warbler Reserve in Columbia and wanted to call attention to it too.

As soon as I have time to devote to it, I will endeavor to post links to more detailed information and additional images. Until then, I recommend reading Watachable Wildlife's page linked above.

Images

Default Bird of the Week

Watchable Wildlife's Bird of the Week is Wood Thrush.

Images

Default Vesper Sparrow

Roan Mountain 6/17 (Facebook Wall image)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++