Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73

Thread: Trail Etiquette

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-30-2010
    Location
    Newport, Michigan
    Age
    31
    Posts
    88
    Images
    1

    Default Trail Etiquette

    I'm planning on attempting a thru-hike in a few years (I'm researching way early, I want to know exactly what I'm getting myself into ) and I've been reading a lot about trail etiquette, my question is what are these rules? Basically I just really don't want to be a nuisance to my fellow hikers, so anything you can think of would be very helpful.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Registered User SassyWindsor's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-19-2007
    Location
    Knightsbridge, London UK
    Posts
    969

    Default

    If you follow the LNT (Leave No Trace) guidelines you'll have a lot accomplished. Social skills will be left up to you.

  3. #3
    Registered User SassyWindsor's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-19-2007
    Location
    Knightsbridge, London UK
    Posts
    969

    Default

    In addition, don't be a bum. A lot of ultra-light hikers will borrow/bum everything they didn't want to carry. I really despise these cats.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-30-2010
    Location
    Newport, Michigan
    Age
    31
    Posts
    88
    Images
    1

    Default

    lol I wasn't planning on doing the ultra light thing, but it's still good to know! Thanks!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-15-2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    The Golden Rule my friend...........

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-30-2010
    Location
    Newport, Michigan
    Age
    31
    Posts
    88
    Images
    1

    Default

    What's the Golden Rule?

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-15-2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrely View Post
    What's the Golden Rule?
    Check out this wiki. It's a good read.

    Cheers!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-30-2010
    Location
    Newport, Michigan
    Age
    31
    Posts
    88
    Images
    1

    Default

    Oh...wow, blonde moment. Thanks!

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-15-2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    No problem. Hopefully it'll be a good refresher for some.
    Last edited by Spokes; 12-09-2010 at 21:52.

  10. #10

    Default A.T.-specific LNT

    You can find A.T.-specific Leave No Trace guidelines at www.appalachiantrail.org/lnt.

    Laurie Potteiger
    Appalachian Trail Conservancy

  11. #11
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,120
    Images
    620

    Talking

    Don't yammer on and on without catching a breath or letting others speak.

    RainMan

    .
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

    www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

    .

  12. #12
    Registered User sasquatch2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-19-2007
    Location
    Pawling NY
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,986
    Images
    785

    Default

    Norms. While some will say this or that is what you should do I think that following the norm is a safe way to go. When you are driving do you follow the speed limit or do you match the speed of the other cars around you? yeah they may be going 70 to 75. Is that the speed limit or what others say is ok at that point and place in time. Keep an open mind and an open eye and I think you will find it ok. if anything thing it will be in your benifit to be more helpful and considerate that you may think is needed.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

  13. #13
    Registered User 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-06-2010
    Location
    Hamilton Square, NJ
    Age
    47
    Posts
    56

    Default

    In my humble opinion, good trail etiquette includes, but is not limited to the following:

    1: Leave No Trace behind
    1A: Bury you waste/TP
    1B: Hike out ALL of your trash
    1C: Leave the shelter as you found it, if not better
    1D: Do not leave campfire lit/ broadcast ashes into wilderness, do not dump them
    1E: Stay on designated trails to minimize wilderness destruction
    2: Hike your own hike
    2A: Respect other hikers methods, pace, race, sex, religion, politics, sexual orientation
    2B: Do not proclaim your way as the only way
    2C: Do not criticize other hiker methods, offering advice is better
    3: No begging, bring what you need and plan to have enough food, TP, batteries until your next resupply
    4: Respect and Thank the Trail Maintainers
    5: Respect and Thank those offering "Trail Magic"
    6: If you see a trail hazard and can fix it, it would be appreciated by the next hiker
    6A: Warn others of potential hazards, weather, shelter closings, bears, ect
    7: If you partake in intoxicating beverages/plant material, don't be a nuisance to the others who don't. Enjoy yourself, just don't wreck the experience for others.
    8: When in towns, maintain good etiquette. Hikers rely on the towns and if you cause an incident, town folk may take it out on the next hiker.
    9: Stay as positive as possible. It helps yourself and no one likes to be around a chronic whiner or complainer.
    10: Pay It Forward and/or Give Back.

    Add to this, or omit, what you want. As I said, hike your own hike, and this is my etiquette.
    Hike your own Hike

    Sherpas? We don't need no stinkin' sherpas.

  14. #14
    Registered User sasquatch2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-19-2007
    Location
    Pawling NY
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,986
    Images
    785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0 View Post
    In my humble opinion, good trail etiquette includes, but is not limited to the following:

    1: Leave No Trace behind
    1A: Bury you waste/TP
    1B: Hike out ALL of your trash
    1C: Leave the shelter as you found it, if not better
    1D: Do not leave campfire lit/ broadcast ashes into wilderness, do not dump them
    1E: Stay on designated trails to minimize wilderness destruction
    2: Hike your own hike
    2A: Respect other hikers methods, pace, race, sex, religion, politics, sexual orientation
    2B: Do not proclaim your way as the only way
    2C: Do not criticize other hiker methods, offering advice is better
    3: No begging, bring what you need and plan to have enough food, TP, batteries until your next resupply
    4: Respect and Thank the Trail Maintainers
    5: Respect and Thank those offering "Trail Magic"
    6: If you see a trail hazard and can fix it, it would be appreciated by the next hiker
    6A: Warn others of potential hazards, weather, shelter closings, bears, ect
    7: If you partake in intoxicating beverages/plant material, don't be a nuisance to the others who don't. Enjoy yourself, just don't wreck the experience for others.
    8: When in towns, maintain good etiquette. Hikers rely on the towns and if you cause an incident, town folk may take it out on the next hiker.
    9: Stay as positive as possible. It helps yourself and no one likes to be around a chronic whiner or complainer.
    10: Pay It Forward and/or Give Back.

    Add to this, or omit, what you want. As I said, hike your own hike, and this is my etiquette.
    11: always be willing to pay for an extra large pizza.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

  15. #15
    Registered User 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-06-2010
    Location
    Hamilton Square, NJ
    Age
    47
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    11: always be willing to pay for an extra large pizza.
    Dang, I knew I was leaving something off. Thanks for the addition!
    Hike your own Hike

    Sherpas? We don't need no stinkin' sherpas.

  16. #16
    Habitual Hiker
    Join Date
    12-01-2010
    Location
    Jacksonville,North Carolina
    Age
    40
    Posts
    126
    Journal Entries
    2

    Default

    I don't have hair and had to click on it so don't feel bad i had a bald moment too
    Still Going.... Cancer survivor of 13 years!!!!!!!

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrely View Post
    I'm planning on attempting a thru-hike in a few years (I'm researching way early, I want to know exactly what I'm getting myself into ) and I've been reading a lot about trail etiquette, my question is what are these rules? Basically I just really don't want to be a nuisance to my fellow hikers, so anything you can think of would be very helpful.

    Thanks!
    I haven't thru-hiked but basically I would say being respectful of everyone out on the trail and of the trail itself is something of high importance. After that I would say definately hike your own hike, don't pass judgement on other hiker's who don't conform to your hiking style or methods. Don't judge or put down other hiker's gear or peoples want's and needs such as time off from hiking, going into town, deciding to blue-blaze, etc... Definately don't be an underfunded thru-hiker if you can at all help it:http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55386 And understand that the reason you are out there is because you want to be. Take the time to enjoy yourself and have fun.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-30-2010
    Location
    Newport, Michigan
    Age
    31
    Posts
    88
    Images
    1

    Default

    Thanks everyone! Very good information to have. I'd really hate to be annoying

  19. #19
    Baron
    Join Date
    05-12-2010
    Location
    The Capital Wasteland
    Age
    37
    Posts
    355
    Images
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrely View Post
    What's the Golden Rule?
    It's what the command master-at-arms makes you do when you return to the ship after being on leave.

    Or is that Golden Flow?
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

    "Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-07-2010
    Location
    philly, pa
    Age
    39
    Posts
    7

    Default

    haha yeah, i believe that would be the golden flow monitor or a trip to the monitor

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •