WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Trail Etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    Now I can see in mountain biking that it is suppose to be the uphill rider that has the right of way, because the uphill rider would kill his momentum if he stops - where as the down hill rider only has to let go of the brakes to gain his momentum back.
    That makes sense for mountain biking. Maybe now that I've quite smoking I'll be able to keep a steader pace up hill, but I think I will continue to stop and let the down hill hiker go past me. However, more often then not, we both stop and chat a moment anyway..
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I think it depends. If it's a steep hill and I'm going down, I don't want to pull up and stop for a guy that's barely moving. On the other hand, if it's not so steep and the uphill hiker has a steady pace, I'll stop. I'd also agree with both situations if I were the uphill hiker.
    Seems like most subscribe to the notion that the uphill hiker has right of way, which is backwards from the way it seems it should be to me as others have pointed out. When I'm going uphill, whatever "momentum" I appear to have is pure illusion. The microsecond I stop exerting myself is the instant I stop moving. I may or may not need a break at any given point, but I'm much more likely to be wanting an excuse to stop when going uphill. Going downhill, on the other hand, it takes effort to stop.

Generally, I'm happy to stop and let someone pass in either direction. At the rate in which oncoming hikers and I generally are closing on each other, I usually pick a spot to stop near the point at which we'll intersect. Invariably, the oncoming hiker stops to let me pass somewhere long before I reach that point, often waiting a full 20 or 30 seconds for me to reach them to pass.

Images

I don't care so much either way when someone is coming toward you. I have a bigger problem with someone in front of you who is going slower than you (travelling in the same direction), and knows you are approaching and still won't let you by.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Check out this wiki. It's a good read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Cheers!
    The Platinum Rule supersedes the Golden Rule.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    Here's one: Don't ask your fellow hikers to leave the shelter after a long hike because you want some "intimate time" with your girlfriend/boyfriend. Happened to me on a section hike, the couple was indignant because the rest of us refused. That's what tents are for!

Oh my god, someone actually did that? Ridiculous.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0 View Post
    In my humble opinion, good trail etiquette includes, but is not limited to the following:

1: Leave No Trace behind
    1A: Bury you waste/TP
    1B: Hike out ALL of your trash
    1C: Leave the shelter as you found it, if not better
    1D: Do not leave campfire lit/ broadcast ashes into wilderness, do not dump them
    1E: Stay on designated trails to minimize wilderness destruction
    2: Hike your own hike
    2A: Respect other hikers methods, pace, race, sex, religion, politics, sexual orientation
    2B: Do not proclaim your way as the only way
    2C: Do not criticize other hiker methods, offering advice is better
    3: No begging, bring what you need and plan to have enough food, TP, batteries until your next resupply
    4: Respect and Thank the Trail Maintainers
    5: Respect and Thank those offering "Trail Magic"
    6: If you see a trail hazard and can fix it, it would be appreciated by the next hiker
    6A: Warn others of potential hazards, weather, shelter closings, bears, ect
    7: If you partake in intoxicating beverages/plant material, don't be a nuisance to the others who don't. Enjoy yourself, just don't wreck the experience for others.
    8: When in towns, maintain good etiquette. Hikers rely on the towns and if you cause an incident, town folk may take it out on the next hiker.
    9: Stay as positive as possible. It helps yourself and no one likes to be around a chronic whiner or complainer.
    10: Pay It Forward and/or Give Back.

Add to this, or omit, what you want. As I said, hike your own hike, and this is my etiquette.
    I might add that if your approaching another hiker from behind make plenty of noise or say Hiker approaching so something well b4 passing so you don't scare the beeeejeesuusss out of em
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I might add that if your approaching another hiker from behind make plenty of noise or say Hiker approaching so something well b4 passing so you don't scare the beeeejeesuusss out of em

I would love to hear some stories of this happening you any of ya
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0 View Post
    In my humble opinion, good trail etiquette includes, but is not limited to the following:

... 1A: Bury you waste/TP

...2A: Respect other hikers methods, pace, race, sex, religion, politics, sexual orientation...
    1A: carry out TP.

2A: Don't ask anybody about their sexual orientation; don't tell anybody yours.

Other than that have a good time.

Who the hell cares about sexual orientation in the woods? It's about the last damned thing that I think about after a long day of hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    1A: carry out TP.

Other than that have a good time.
    I burn or bury TP, no way I would carry it out. I consider it hazardous waste, and would not put it in my pack. It is fine in the ground with my crap. I only burn it if the fire risk is low.

Long Trail end-to-end '03, AT VT Maine Junction to Hanover Rough's Avatar
    Images

Default Rough and Tumble's Long Trail and Shelter Etiquette

Here's our take on what works for us:

http://www.longtrailpodcast.com/ltett.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Do not immediately assume that your fondest for the proximity and company of your family pet, or your pleasure in playing music, is necessarily shared by the people with whom you are sharing the Trail or Trail facilities. I assure you that in all likelihood, their enthusiasm for these things does not equal your own.
    Amen. And keep your dogs out of the shelters & the water sources!
    "Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet."
    -Thich Nhat Hahn

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838232611

In shelters the rule should be quiet once one person is asleep and quiet until everyone is awake, but it reality it's the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I don't care so much either way when someone is coming toward you. I have a bigger problem with someone in front of you who is going slower than you (travelling in the same direction), and knows you are approaching and still won't let you by.

Ooooh, one of my biggest pet peeves. And it can be so hard getting by them without coming off as a jerk.

"MOVE IT OR LOSE IT, GRANNY!!!" This may be my next solution.
    2013 AT NOBO - 03/13/13 to 08/14/13

Images

"Hike your own hike" - but realize that there is a bit of an art - not just a black & white rule - as in most human relations. The individual who started this thread is obviously researching these ins + outs a few years in advance - but many folks will hop on the trail for a thru-hike with much less knowledge about any of the thru-hiking experience - or any outdoors experience for that matter. I've met folks that have been hiking the trail for 2 months - that are amazed that "nobody ever told me that" and were embarrassed that they had been "leaving a trace" for several hundred miles without realizing it. We all know how annoying a trail "know it all" can be - as well as a "clueless newbie" - but if you are one of those experienced hikers - and you find an opportunity to mention something of worth to someone who looks like they need a hint and are open to a small suggestion - help them out - without preaching. They may not be disregarding these things - they may have never known them. The more the experienced hikers are doing this - the more prone they are to forgetting how much the inexperienced would'nt know.

the less like me you act, the better
    the more like johnney thunder you act, the bettter.
    i am the poster child for bad ediquit
    johnney is the poster child for good trail ediquitte
    matthewski

People should realize that back in the woods, it is a different world. Most of the naggy BS that applies to society, all the boring little pointless rules, don't apply in the woods. I am not talking about leaving garbage behind or any of that, but people need to be less uptight. I was in NH one night on my thru, in a shelter, and it was pouring rain. I was in my clean, dry camp clothes and had to pee. No big deal, no one had showed up for hours, so I just pee off the front of the shelter. Right then, some people show up and seem to have an issue. I was like, I am not going to get my dry clothes soaking wet. I like to be plain, practical, and efficient, and never really cared for most of the social BS we feel we have to put up with in society.

peeing off shelters is horrid. the wafting amonia at other times long after the ofending peeer is gone a peeeing elsewhere,..causes us norms to cast evil curses at you. so dont wonder to long why your luck stinks.
    matthewski

the only thing worse than a ledge peeer is a second story old guy bottle peeer.with hikers sleeping below in a loft with floors that have space between the boards, your right to pee in a bottle exspires. get the heck out from over my head with your tinkel noise. i know you aint mixin gatoraid!lol.
    matthewski

Journal Entries
    Images

Hike your own hike, and keep your attitude to yourself....Golden Rule

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++