WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Work/TV Treadmill

I'm on the work/TV treadmill and I want to get off but I don't know how.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Can't do much about work, but just unplug the @#$ TV.

I've been off TV for 4 years now and don't miss it. It was easy! Just today, my internet company called me to offer their super special for a new package including TV with 300+ channels yada yada. They don't know how to respond when I tell them I don't watch TV.

The only time I missed it was when I really wanted to watch the World Series (lifelong Giants fan) and managed to find a bar with the games broadcast.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

with all due respect, good grief, it seems you're complaining about having a job, a tv, and access to a treadmill.
    a suggestion, "volunteer" the rest of your life to helping others,(for a bed and meals) in a country where that's the least of their worries.

Images

Kill your TV or quit your job.

I killed my TV(meaning I have no cable or antenna). I haven't even watched the Super Bowl in the last three or four years. I go on Youtube to see the funny commercials my friends talk about occasionally.

Haven't gotten bored yet.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm on the work/TV treadmill and I want to get off but I don't know how.
    This is drastic but it worked for me. Get up around 4 AM for several mornings. In a few days you'll be sleepy enough to go to sleep by 9-10 PM. In the morning you'll have a leisurly 3+ hours to have coffee, breakfast, read, whatever, and get ready for work. The change in schedule seems to add a bit of a spark to the daily grind. Whether this is for you depends on your particular circumstance, spouse, kids, etc. A side benefit of this is, if you continue on the weekend, you get one heck of a long day Saturday and Sunday to do stuff.
    Simple is good.

Hey Carbo, that's a truly unique idea. I already go to bed at 9 so I guess I'd be going to bed at 7? I suppose that's okay.

Images

Default Early to bed..

I agree with Carbo. My late Grandmother used to say: "It's the sleep you get before midnight that counts."
    Anyhow I have been TV less for 3 years now.. Then the computer became my time waster!
    Anyhow hang in there Piper! It sounds like you have the off-season blues. Start planning your next adventure. It's the best cure I know.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Start planning your next adventure. It's the best cure I know.
    +1 I've always got something planned, whether it is a race or hike or something else that requires me to be active in order to perform when the time comes.

Images

Take up spelunking!

Journal Entries
    Images

What? where was the room for the treadmill? Back to nature for you!

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    ....Anyhow I have been TV less for 3 years now.. Then the computer became my time waster!...
    Ain't that the truth!

Let me expand on my complaint/question. I'm in a relationship with someone on the work/TV treadmill. How do I get off the treadmill and leave him to die in front of the TV without making him feel like I'm leaving him?

Images

Hold the rails and put your feet on the side so they aren't on the belt. If you have a remote, now is the time to use it. If not, slowly step back and off the machine and walk to the TV to turn it off manually. Unplug the treadmill and call the manufacturer.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Go for long, extended walks each morning and evening, and take the dog while you're at it. If he doesn't miss seeing you after awhile, then you shouldn't feel guilty about leaving.

If you want to be a bit more proactive, think about a goal you might enjoy accomplishing together that can be measured in increments. Weight lost, pounds lifted, miles run, hours of volunteer work, houses built, stairs walked, languages learned, songs memorized, whatever.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries

Work is a given for most of us who failed to inherit fortunes. Having done both, I prefer work that pays more than minimum wages. Of course the best work is work one enjoys doing. I've found there was nothing better than being paid for doing things I thought useful and fun to do. Looking back, I can think of a variety of jobs I could have enjoyed doing. But I lucked on one of them and rode it for 30 years. I sometimes think I might have enjoyed a more lucrative profession just as well. But the role I chose gave me such a sense of satisfaction, I kept right on doing much the same after I retired, even though no one was paying me.

As for television, I disagree with those that claim living without television is a good thing. Mine stays in my house and gets turned on for a bit most days. I find the news hour, some of Frontline and some other bits of public television educational, useful and often enjoyable. I even watch an occasional network news show to see what the rest of the world finds important.

Getting addicted was never a problem. I tended to work odd hours as issues that needed investigating arose, so I rarely managed to see two episodes of anything in a row. You'll find the same is true even in retirement if you remain, or get involved in community, conservation, or trail matters.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I watch the TV while I'm on the treadmill

Images

Let me expand on my complaint/question. I'm in a relationship with someone on the work/TV treadmill. How do I get off the treadmill and leave him to die in front of the TV without making him feel like I'm leaving him?
    I still don't get it. You want to leave him to die in front of the TV, but you are concerned about his feelings?

I guess the best thing to do is go ahead and leave him, when he's dead he won't have any feelings to worry about [shrug]. I know I'm missing something.
    Simple is good.

I'm reading that the "Treadmill" is a figure of speech. Some others read that you use a physical treadmill.

I would invite my mate to get up early with me and take a quick walk if the weather isn't too bad before coffee or breakfast. As long as you inform him of your intentions I doubt he'll hold it against you.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

and when you hike?????????
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++