WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bull Run Occoquan Trail

I'm looking for some good overnight hikes that don't require me to drive out to the SNP. Having lived in Centreville before I moved to Richmond, I have heard of the Bull Run Occoquan trail but I have never known anyone that has hiked it. Has anyone out there hiked it? If so, I know it's 18 miles and do able in a long day, but do they allow camping to break it up into an easy 9/9 over nighter? I'd love to set out and use it as a shakedown before my thru in March.

Quote Originally Posted by busch View Post
    I'm looking for some good overnight hikes that don't require me to drive out to the SNP. Having lived in Centreville before I moved to Richmond, I have heard of the Bull Run Occoquan trail but I have never known anyone that has hiked it. Has anyone out there hiked it? If so, I know it's 18 miles and do able in a long day, but do they allow camping to break it up into an easy 9/9 over nighter? I'd love to set out and use it as a shakedown before my thru in March.
    Yes, I am a Bull Run Occoquan Trail thru hiker I have never heard of any rules on camping but a lot of it is remote enough from housing to easily stealth camp. The problem out there is water. There is some streams and runoff flowing down into the river but I'm pretty skeptical of it. At a minimum its probably mostly road runoff from somewhere. In the Spring to Fall, you could get water at the Bull Run Marina and gas stations at Highway 28. Or you could just spot some water at several road crossing.

I found last week that if you follow the trail into Bull Run park and ford Bull Run, you can then follow a trail under I-66 and get into the Bull Run Battlefield network with 30-40 miles of trails.

Let me know if you are going to do it and I might come out and hike it with you if you want company.

Other places you might look at it are Prince William Forest Park and the Bull Run Battlefield itself.

juma

I frequently hike in Prince William Forest Park. One possibility is to park near the front of the park, then hike the South Valley trail to the campground. Set up for the night, then hike back to your car the next day. Not quite 10 miles each way depending on which lot you park at.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

I wouldn't camp anywhere along the Occaquan trail. I would question my personal safety if I did so...however...you could stealth it in a few spots.

You don't have to go to SNP, a great overnight is to drive I-66 to the Manassas gap AT parking lot and hike north to the Dick's Dome or South to Jim and Molly Denton.

It's a 50 minute drive to the trail head. I've never had a problem parking there.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

I've dayhiked the BROT. It's a nice hike. In winter some of the water crossings will be cold. Airplanes are a constant roar overhead in the northern section.

If looking for decent backpacking near DC - aside from the AT or the C&O, there are some campgrounds along the Catoctin Trail you could hike to as part of a thruhike of the CT. The Greenridge Trail in Western MD is backpackable and feels very remote. There's a nice 40 mile loop using the Greenridge and the C&O. There are a couple of other long hikes in western MD that make good weekend hikes. The southern end of the Midstate Tr. in PA is a possibility. I also second Pr. William. You could do about 10-12 miles each way, camping at the campground.

Images

No camping on the trail. Only campground is at Bull Run Regional at the north end of the trail.

It's a great hike for being in such a populated area.

The park is about 3-4 miles wide at the 9 mile point and its about 3 miles to the nearest road. This is in a forested area a 150 feet above the river. Very easy to go a hundred yards off the trail toward the river at that point and stealth the nite away.

There's no "bacpacking" allowed in Prince William Forest Park, however they have a special "backpacking" area - not sure about the rules etc - it's not in the park proper, you'd have to call and ask!

The above suggestion of parking, hiking to the actual campground, then hiking back is pretty good though! The South Valley and the North Valley trails pretty much combine and you can do a loop of the whole park - would add mileage if you wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    Let me know if you are going to do it and I might come out and hike it with you if you want company.
    juma
    My brother is interested in joining me for the hike but I doubt his ability to cover 18 miles. If he falls through I'll let you know if I decide to do the trail. I've never done 18 hiking miles in a day, although I have ran a marathon, so I do have the confidence to get it done. I plan to do the hike sometime next week since I'll be in the area.

There have been a ton of great suggestions on this thread, I'm definitely going to check out the hikes you all have told me about. I can't believe my thru hike is only 2 months away and I have yet to get some solid hiking miles in.

Quote Originally Posted by busch View Post
    My brother is interested in joining me for the hike but I doubt his ability to cover 18 miles. If he falls through I'll let you know if I decide to do the trail. I've never done 18 hiking miles in a day, although I have ran a marathon, so I do have the confidence to get it done. I plan to do the hike sometime next week since I'll be in the area.

There have been a ton of great suggestions on this thread, I'm definitely going to check out the hikes you all have told me about. I can't believe my thru hike is only 2 months away and I have yet to get some solid hiking miles in.

alternative with brother - hike from fountainhead park to hwy 28 - thats about 16 miles. The remaining 2 miles is flat and of little training value anyway. I've seen some ratings of the first 16 miles as highly difficult and such - kinda funny. we didn't get any snow to speak of so the trail is clear

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    alternative with brother - hike from fountainhead park to hwy 28 - thats about 16 miles. The remaining 2 miles is flat and of little training value anyway. I've seen some ratings of the first 16 miles as highly difficult and such - kinda funny. we didn't get any snow to speak of so the trail is clear
    Here is a link to the backpack in/out at Prince William Forest.

http://www.nps.gov/prwi/planyourvisi...trycamping.htm

I've done a lot of hiking along the BROT, it's a nice close by trail.

I was out there today and took a close look at the stream at the northbound 8 mile mark. i guess I would take water from it and treat. Undoubtedly, there is some horse farm runoff in it but it is running clear with no foam over a gravel bottom.

++ New Posts ++