WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Nature Boy considering record attempt

Talk of Nature Boy going for a 60 day unsupported hike. I hear he is training in the mountains of North Georgia.

Images

Maybe he and Crazyhair can start the same day and race. That would be exciting . Okay not really, but it would be different.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Sure is easy to sit back in your lazy boy chair with a beer in one hand and the remote in the other and ponder....hmmn, 3 mph and hike 12 hours a day....piece of cake...

who is this nature boy?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Sure is easy to sit back in your lazy boy chair with a beer in one hand and the remote in the other and ponder....hmmn, 3 mph and hike 12 hours a day....piece of cake...
    I thought it was 3 1/2 mph? Anyway, I'm happy just getting from one shelter / campsite to the next. I shouldn't criticize. God bless 'em if running 80+ consecutive mountain marathons from GA to ME is what blows air up their skirts.

LW, all I know is that I remember a thread here that he (Natureboy) was the first NOBO to finish last year - sometime in mid May with a late Jan start, maybe 100 days or so start to finish?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I thought it was 3 1/2 mph? Anyway, I'm happy just getting from one shelter / campsite to the next. I shouldn't criticize. God bless 'em if running 80+ consecutive mountain marathons from GA to ME is what blows air up their skirts.

LW, all I know is that I remember a thread here that he (Natureboy) was the first NOBO to finish last year - sometime in mid May with a late Jan start, maybe 100 days or so start to finish?

I heard plenty about Nature Boy from the thru-hikers that were racing up the trail trying to finish < 4 months last year..

Most all of them were miffed because he skipped the Smokies and was still claiming to be thru-hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I heard plenty about Nature Boy from the thru-hikers that were racing up the trail trying to finish < 4 months last year..

Most all of them were miffed because he skipped the Smokies and was still claiming to be thru-hiking.
    That thru-hiking stuff is certainly confusing. What were the rules on that again?
    Oh, that's right, nevermind, I think it's been

Images

who is this nature boy?

“He's a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!”

It has to be Ric Flair. No way someone uses Ric's nickname for a trail name.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JEBjr View Post
    It has to be Ric Flair. No way someone uses Ric's nickname for a trail name.
    Why not? Ric stole it too.

Journal Entries

I do like cake...!!!

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

no, i don't believe it, you mean there are hikers out there that don't follow the white blazes/ routes/ trail tread, that are claiming they hiked the trail/trails??? what on earth have we become as humans
    when will the first "google earth triple crown be claimed"?

Thats unfortunate. If true -- and I have no way of knowing -- then any future claims of setting any type of record simply can not be believed.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Thats unfortunate. If true -- and I have no way of knowing -- then any future claims of setting any type of record simply can not be believed.
    The three guys that I met in 1991 attempting records struck me as legitimate -- especially the "winner" who confessed to still having nightmares about the ordeal two years later.

But I take most of such claims with a grain of salt. Real records are set by having observers at the start, observers at every intersection, and at the end.

All we can ever know about a thru hike record is what the guy making the claim says he did. The world of record setters is full of charlatans.

My advice is to hike in whatever way you want, and then shut up about it. Send ATC and your favorite maintaining clubs some checks for all the good work they did to help your walk. That will make you feel even better than if you had applied for a 2,000-miler certificate.

Journal Entries

Why not ask nature Boy...?? Chances are he he might know....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    Because lots of folk like something to bitch about...
    Greg P.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Because lots of folk like something to bitch about...
    ...amen!...

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    I was not far behind you when I started and faniced catching you - I stayed up with Frisbee for a few days before I threw in the towel on that one. Finally found my grove with Boomerang, Uncle Frank and Reckless.

Skipping the Smokies or not you were zipping up the trail at warp speed.

Images

Why not go hike the Colorado trail or hike across Death Valley? Whats the point of not resupplying when you're hiking on a trail where its possible to resupply?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

I'm looking forward to following you Nature Boy.
    Good Luck.
    I hope you have enough sense to ignore the naysayers.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries

I was not far behind you when I started and faniced catching you - I stayed up with Frisbee for a few days before I threw in the towel on that one. Finally found my grove with Boomerang, Uncle Frank and Reckless.

Skipping the Smokies or not you were zipping up the trail at warp speed.
    Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet. Last nobo i saw was Molasses and his dog Trash Can just north of Hot Springs. Toe Man, The Gent, And Tatto Joe were close behind or so I was told. Hope you had a great hike..!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++