WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best gourmet-ish food for an overnighter?

Hey guys just wondering if you had some good recipes for tasty food, weight not being a concern. Since its winter now, I mostly go on just overnighters. Last weekend me and 4 friends did an overnighter in Harriman Park, and I think i cooked the best food i've ever had on the trail. My girlfriend bought me a bunch of backpacking items for xmas, and the best being a GSI wok. Brought up some chicken breasts, and some frozen stir fry veggies, mixed with a custom sauce I created consisting of hot sauce, general tsos sauce, cock sauce, sweet and sour sauce, mango habonera sauce, soy, duck sauce, and wegmans asain bbq. Stir fried it and mixed with white rice was easily better then anything i've ever had from a chinese place. (then again everything tastes better on the trail)

So im just wondering if you guys had any recipes you would like to share. Weight and space really isnt a concern, so go ahead and recommend me the best thing you've ever had, or anything that could be mad easily with a wok.

thanks!

Images

A ribeye/onions, wrapped in foil, and cooked on campfire coals.

My son and his friends take kebobs.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Pizza, with boboli or foccaccia bread. Make sure your wok had a lid, use foil for cheap and light, warm foccacia in wok with lid, remove, add sauce and any gourmet topping, ( pre cook toppings if needed at home) cheese and more cheese, back in wok with top on, cook until done, repeat until full. Pre cut boboli or foccacia to fit wok at home.

not really "gourmet"

but i like to make burgers, but instead of hamburger use a good italian sausage to make the patties and then top with roasted peppers, onions, marinara and some mozzarella cheese, pretty tasty

boot

Images

Strip steak, coated in kosher salt and cooked directly on the coals of the campfire. Serve black and blue with foil wrapped potato and whiskey.

Images

Live lobster, kept cool and damp until you get to camp. Throw directly on hot coals. Turn once and crack and enjoy.

I've never done this one, but would love to try it!

Matt:

One of my tricks when I'm leaving a town, or a place that has a frisge/freezer, is to prepare something nice ahead of time, i.e. buy it, sauce it, marinate it, whatever, and even cook it......then double ziplock it so nothing leaks and freeze it. By dinnertime at the end of the next day it's all thawed out and merely needs to be reheated in your cookpot, maybe with a little water so nothing sticks or burns. The things you can do here are countless......marinated steak tips; shrimp scampi; fettucini alfredo, etc. Also, on an overnight, where I know I'm heading back to car/road/town in the morning, I'll bring along the fixings for a real salad, with dressing, croutons, garlic bread, you name it. Also, you can bring a bottle of wine on an overnight (just wrap it up good in a shirt for padding); they also have wine in a box (like a quart of milk) that isn't bad. For dessert, cheesecake, or whatever you and your friend(s) might like.

To answer your last quesion, if you're willing to pack a wok and cooking oil, then I'd do up a big stir-fry while someone else made rice in their pot......I think beef strips, shrimp, or scallops would work (in any combination), with water chectnuts and vegetables, say broccoli or those little ears of corn. Have someone make a pot of tea and have some cold beer or a good wine along and you're in business.

Images

Rattler stew over buttered noodles with wild mushrooms in a marsala sauce. You can substitute sirloin or chicken if you can't find the snake.
    Simple is good.

Images

Default creme brulee

I have pictures of that one somewhere...

Images

Cheesecake. In a 12" dutch oven. Cooked double-boiler style inside a 16" dutch oven.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Rattler stew over buttered noodles with wild mushrooms in a marsala sauce. You can substitute sirloin or chicken if you can't find the snake.
    Chicken? I've heard it tastes like snake.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    Cheesecake. In a 12" dutch oven. Cooked double-boiler style inside a 16" dutch oven.
    Incredible eats, but make sure you carry the ultralight dutch ovens.

Keep in mind I'm a vegetarian but... Best meal we made while on the trail (camping just off the trail actually, under the bridge in Erwin, so close to town) was sweet potatoes, garlic and onions, all wrapped up in foil tossed in the fire. I think we might have even got butter, or at least someone had butter powder? I remember them being buttery... mmmm... Roasted garlic makes anything good though.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Everybody dies someday, but not everyone gets to live.

The great tragedy isn't that people die for freedom...but that people live for nothing.

++ New Posts ++