WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What animals have you seen on the AT in New England?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default New England Wildlife

What animals have you seen on or near the AT in New England?

Images

I followed 2 moose on the trail on little biggelow. also climbing Mnt Washington last february I spotted 2 pine martens. I also have been attacked by a spruce grouse. thank goodness for treking poles!
    skinny d

Images

Default Native species

Many, but then I'm a native species also. My "other" was a Fisher Cat that came within about 6 feet while chasing a rabbit. My Lab and I were standing on the summit of Mt Kineo (bushwhack) when the rabbit ran right between my dog and I shortly followed by the Fisher who saw us and made an abrupt u-turn and disappeared.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I think I've heard moose, seen their fresh tracks and scat, but I've never actually seen one!

We had to have been within 15 minutes of one on a section hike in eastern Vermont, and then we just missed one in the backyard of a coffee shop in Brattleboro on the way home!

I believe I heard a big one pushing its way through a wet area at dusk, a few miles north of Pinkham Notch as I was trying to find a place to setup my tent for the night. You could just tell that it was a big animal making that racket!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Seen moose twice: NH just south of Rattle River and Maine around Sabbath Day Pond. Porcupines in VT - most recently at Kid Gore Shelter in '07 where they always hang out. I've seen garter snakes in VT and ME. A black bear on the north slope of Mt. Greylock.

My favorite wildlife sightings: loons in Maine and spruce grouse in NH.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 12-22-2010 at 13:52.

The animals I've seen the most are red squirrels, chipmunks, and
    RACCOONS (I'm surprised you missed that one).
    I've seen porcupines, but only dead by the side of the road.
    I've seen lots of birds and reptiles, too, but I guess you're looking for furry mammals.
    Oh, I've seen opossum (possum), too.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Porcupines in VT - most recently at Kid Gore Shelter in '07 where they always hang out.
    They must be the great-great-great grand-porkies of the porcupines I battled at Kid Gore Shelter in June '79!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Snowshoe hare near summit of Mt Greylock in mid-May. Brown with white feet/stockings!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    They must be the great-great-great grand-porkies of the porcupines I battled at Kid Gore Shelter in June '79!
    Pretty sure I saw them at Kid Gore in '77 - perhaps the same ones that bedeviled you.

Journal Entries

Way too many others to remember. But voles, mice of all kinds, chipmunks .... I'd like to say wolf. But that's impossible to confirm without a dead body and genetic tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    The animals I've seen the most are red squirrels, chipmunks, and
    RACCOONS (I'm surprised you missed that one).
    I've seen porcupines, but only dead by the side of the road.
    I've seen lots of birds and reptiles, too, but I guess you're looking for furry mammals.
    Oh, I've seen opossum (possum), too.
    Maybe I should have checked porkies, too. Even though I never saw one, I heard them chewing on the back of shelters a few times during my early section hikes when I used shelters on a regular basis.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I had never seen a porcupine in my life until NE.... I was lying in my tent and heard something moving around - looked up and there was a porcupine sticking his head in my vestibule.. Pretty neat.

++ New Posts ++