WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Images

The article should read "four OF the longest trails" and not "THE four longest trails" because he's wrong about that. He's leaving out the ADT and the ECT. And no I don't think it's possible, either.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

the ECT is not a recognized trail

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
    Midwesterners and those living in western NY know about lake effect snow. Michigan gets a LOT of snow in the winter. It's probably just less dangerous because there is little elevation. No avalanches, etc.

Andrew Skurka did most of the NCT in the winter on his Sea to Sea route. I think he wore snowshoes?

I believe Andrew averaged about 30 or so miles per day

Images

Its better to try and fail than never try at all. I don't think it'll be done but I wish him the best of luck!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the ECT is not a recognized trail
    Okay, granted it isn't recognized as such under any trail act or legislation, but it sure is easier than saying one hiked the Florida Scenic Trail to the Pinhoti Trail to the Benton Mackaye Trail to the Appalachian Trail to the International Appalachian Trail - I gots out of breath just typing it
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

-

sounds to me a very nice multi-year plan, why set yourself up for failure when you could actually enjoy these trails successfully in 2-3 seasons

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I could do that if i wanted to.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

I am hoping he can do it! It's sounds impossible but he might surprise us all!! Good luck to him and hopefully he can keep us all updated on this crazy adventure!!

id like to give examples of feats of human endevor possibly equaling, phisicly, what is proposed here .

their are military trainings at the highest levels where people work at a higher level for a longer period than this hike.

there are slave prisners who are force worked at a higher level of phisical output for longer.

some survivors of disasters have struggeled as hard, shakelton, the andes survivors,etc.

athleats may work at this level for years.

pyramid builders, arnold swartzenater,obsesive compulsives and forrest gump.
    matthewski

happy haanakah matty

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    id like to give examples of feats of human endevor possibly equaling, phisicly, what is proposed here .

their are military trainings at the highest levels where people work at a higher level for a longer period than this hike.

there are slave prisners who are force worked at a higher level of phisical output for longer.

some survivors of disasters have struggeled as hard, shakelton, the andes survivors,etc.

athleats may work at this level for years.

pyramid builders, arnold swartzenater,obsesive compulsives and forrest gump.
    You forgot Chuck Norris!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    You forgot Chuck Norris!
    No one forgets Chuck Norris - there are only people who have yet to recover from the amnesia they suffered because he hit them so hard.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    But what is the advantage to pissin on someones parade. Their Idea, Their Hike, what does it matter. Do you think it makes you look better when you tear others down. There is a wealth of information on this site, but also some of the most cynical, critical, hike your hike my way kind of people i have ever met.
    Is his hike improbable? absolutely if it was probable someone else would have already done it. Remember the 4 minute mile? I remember when it was said that it would never be done and now it is uncommon when it isn't.
    Sorry, hiking 35 miles a day, every day, for 365 consecutive days, is plain silly. It isn't like running a 4-minute mile at all. It is more like running a one minute mile.

He is going through the ADKs in the winter. 35 miles a day on snowshoes, making winter camps? Someone has never been backpacking in the winter before.

This is like that Cowboy guy from AZ who was going to hike the AT unsupported in 30 days. He walked 8 miles sans pack in two hours one afternoon on some flat land near Tucson, and said, "70 miles a day is therefore only 18 hours a day. I don't need more than 6 hours of sleep, so 70 miles a day should be easy to do."

Yeah, sure, Springer to Damascus in 6 1/2 days.
    Frosty

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Its better to try and fail than never try at all.
    Sometimes, some things. Not everything.

I didn't finish my AT thruhike. Twice. I'm glad I tried. I may try again sometime.

Nothing wrong with hiking. It's great. Nothing wrong with setting goals high. Doesn't mean they are achievable, and even if this 35-miles-a-day-for-365-days is a good idea, it doesn't mean it is possible.
    Frosty

Journal Entries
    Images

Well..., good luck if he does make it. Though I do hope his ULA Circuit holds up to the 47 lbs he is talking about carrying in a 30 lb rated pack. Unless I missed read something there.

Copied from his site:

Right now total gear weight including everything from camera to socks and trekking poles to shoes adds up to about 27lbs even. Actual pack weight minus the gear I’ll be wearing is about 17lbs. This should allow me to carrying about 20 lbs of food at a time. That is the idea anyway. I’ll let you know when I get back.

Even if has 10 lbs of clothing on, that does not mean he will have it on at all times. Which in return he has to put it on his pack this making his "avg" pack weight go up. So to me seems like he will have the pack over loaded most all the time. If so I smell pack failure, if that pack does not fail I will be so impressed.
    I don't know

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

This is the 3 min. mile. No way even a world class athlete could do this. No injuries? weather? Logistics? I would say it would be well less than 50/50 suported.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Even if he skis the first one and hits 40-50 mpd, he still must hit the high sierra on the PCT when there won't be any food resupply roads open for 500 miles (until April or May)
    That will be the tough part. (again, even with skis, 500 miles is too much food to carry)
    That may be a tough part, but doing the Washington section of the PCT before August 1 is pratically impossible. The Washington Cascades are having heavy snow. The PCT won't melt out until August. To make his proposed time frame, he would need to do the Washington section by June. I don't believe it can be done.
    Shutterbug

Journal Entries
    Images

He is just telling everyone this for the publicity from those who do not have a clue....

when chuck norris goes to sleep, he puts on matt weinstone pajamas
    matthewski

Default hiker toast aka ***** on pringels

in a large country mix...

1 motivated sob
    4 healthy trails
    heckels and cheers to cover
    bag o' food the size of bag o' tricks

hike until trauma x pirate x wolf23000 x lwolf x squeeky x google
    skim off ms and searve proud on a bed of calluse

tips: add coconut monkey, wizzard or cannoe paddle for more heckel
    matthewski