WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Nobo 2011. Under 21!

I am starting in march of 2011 and and just wondering if there is anyone else out there that is doin the trail that is under 21 next year?? Just trying to see what the most popular age crowd will be. Also if there are any hikers under 21 out there we can try to figure out ways to get into bars in the towns

ONLY 3 MORE MONTHS!!

Yes! Well, not actually. I turn 21 in 3 days, but I definitely sympathize with you

Journal Entries

lucky you! whats your start date?

I don't have an exact date yet.. but I'm 90% sure I will be leaving the 1st or 2nd week of March. Depends on if I go to NO for Mardi Gras

When are you heading out? I assume NOBO

Images

I guess I'm too old for you kids.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Journal Entries

im planning for the 28th of march. and yeah nobo. im starting closer to april just to hopefully miss SOME of the snow and im not in any rush to finish

Me and two friends are starting early March. My one friend is 20 and the other two of us will be turning 20 on the trail.

Would love to sneak our way into a few bars! It def. seems like we'll be some of the youngest out there.

Journal Entries

niiice good to see other younger people on the trail. If u dont mind me asking, why are u deciding to start in early March rather than later or anytime actually?

Images

Nice of so many of you underage members to want to sneak in (using fake ID or whatever) and put the local bar owners at risk of trouble with the law. Getting shut-down for serving a bunch under-age thru-hikers is so good for business.

Why not show a little respect for someone else's livelihood, and some common sense, by planning to get someone of legal age to buy and haul your booze back to the woods for you. Just don't rat on them if you get busted, and carry out your empties please.

And this public forum isn't the right place to plan it all either. Do yourselves a favor and take the planning of breaking the law private.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

is buzzard for buzzkill? live and let live.

Journal Entries

i understand where youre coming from and the bar thing was just for conversation, buzzard.

Anyone going to college in the fall after youre done?

I'll be starting the hike at age 20, turning 21 in July!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by thattallguy44 View Post
    is buzzard for buzzkill? live and let live.
    Please do live and let live. It costs bar owners $1000's in fines, legal fees and even more in lost business revenues if they get caught, convicted, and/or shut down for serving a minor. They also can be held liable for resulting injuries to both the minor and even consequential damages to others they may cause while under the influence because they served them. Though rare, they can even be imprisoned. How's that for a buzzkill? Maybe someday you'll own a business and understand that it isn't a big f'in joke. Your actions have consequences. Think about them while you're hiking. Enjoy your partying without putting other people at risk. It's that crap we call responsibility and adulthood.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I'd say buzz makes a fair point.

We're leaving earlier because we want to make sure we're back for fall semester. We all like colder weather too.

Journal Entries

BUZZARD, TY for your opinion. and i love the quote that's in your sig.
    Minka, same thing with me ill be turning 21 in June!
    Thoreau, yeah i get that. i mean im set for school in the fall but i mean who knows where the trail will take me.

You guys will have a blast at trail daze.

Yo! What up, my homies? haha

I'll also be 20 when I start (early april) and will be turning 21 in July. Not a drinker myself, but when I was on the trail in '09 (age 18-19) I was offered beer constantly, even in bars, and nobody ever asked to see an ID. Maybe my beard made me look older? I don't know, but even in the Doyle I was offered a drink AFTER showing my ID at check-in.

So it goes.

Anyway, thanks for starting this thread. I was worried it would be a total geezer-fest out there.
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Images

Hey, I'm not saying don't have a good time, and I'm not saying don't drink or party - I sure did when I was your age (yeah, it was legal back then). As far as I'm concerned if your old enough to be tried as an adult in court, vote, and be drafted or even God forbid die for your country you should be able to drink legally. But that's just my opinion and it doesn't matter. Unfortunately society has become very intolerant and they punish the people with the deepest pockets with the most to lose.

So all I'm saying is don't advertise it in public. Have fun but be smart about it.

Anyway - Merry Christmas.

Journal Entries

Torch man! good to hear from another hiker. did u already do a thru-hike in 09?

Thanks buzzard Merry Christmas and happy trails to you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thattallguy44 View Post
    Torch man! good to hear from another hiker. did u already do a thru-hike in 09?
    Its a long story, but basically I did everything except Virginia. Luckily, I've been given an oppertunity to give it another shot in 2011. As stated above, I'm planning on an early April start, unless I can't control my ichy feet and quit my job a month earlier...

I'm looking forward to feeling like an old pro around all the newbies
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++