WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    That is 100% wrong.
    I remember it very well. Maybe not all, but most.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    is proclivity something to do with a womans body?
    I have no idea what it means. It had a good sound so I added it to my post. I know nothing about meaning. But if it sounds good, it is good, as someone said once. Maybe Duke Ellington.

A P P A L A C H I A N
    A P P R O A C H

gabish?
    matthewski

Default Hyoh

I prefer not to drive up a road to the AT, hike SOBO to the summit of Springer, then retrace my steps NOBO on the AT to where I started. Just doesn't seem right to me. I prefer the suffering/work of hiking most of a day just to reach my starting point. Seems more meaninglful and "worthy" somehow. Also not the easiest way to do it, which adds appeal.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    The rest of the time, I've walked up. My most vivid memories have involved walking to the top. But that's just me. Drive up Springer if you think that would be more exciting or more fun. I'll walk
    I hear ya. I didn't start this thread trying to pit one view against another. Just trying to see if I would be missing out on something by missing that part of the "trail". I thank you for your opinion

pro·cliv·i·ty (pr-klv-t)n. pl. pro·cliv·i·ties A natural propensity or inclination; predisposition.

Images

Default yes and no

Quote Originally Posted by Fog Horn View Post
    But its not a short cut. Its not part of the trail.
    Definitely not a short cut, sort of part of the trail, but not in a technical sense. Its all just hiking, whether you start at Amicalola or not. I personally can't imagine after walking 2000+ miles that I'd be really bent out of shape about 8+ miles I "missed" at the beginning. However, I will say that beginning at Amicalola seems to me more like the beginning of a great trail than does the dinky parking lot on FS42.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

if post counts dont denote wisdom, how come i glance over there when im reading someones post?

is this thread good because were all hiking the approach vicariously in our minds right now?

and what does it mean when thrus are asked," so how far is the whole trail?"
    and they answer,"its 2179 miles,...well,...plus 8 for the approch trail,...witch i did."

are there bears on the approach trail?
    is the approach trail like being at the foot of everest for anyone else? no? just me? k.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by TheChop View Post

Although seriously if I was doing a SOBO hike I'd fly a helicopter to Baxter Peak, jump out and roll, get up and walk away while the helicopter crashes and explodes behind me. Like a boss.

Ohhh, that would be tight!!!
    2013 AT NOBO - 03/13/13 to 08/14/13

Then I'd brush the dust off my shoulder, put on my shades and say, "That's gonna leave a trace."
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

The only thing special about the approach trail is a huge flight of stairs. With a loaded pack, I wouldn't think this would be much fun. Do it as a day hike without a pack, then get your shuttle to the Springer parking lot. Hike to the top of Springer, sign the shelter register, and then go on your way NOBO. If you hike the approach trail with your loaded pack, you may very well quit at the top of Springer. ; - ) I've heard so many people gripe about the approach trail I can't tell you - there's nothing that is written in stone that says you have to do that trail in order to start hiking the AT!

I searched the forum for this question but came up empty so pardon me if its been discussed before, but I had a question about the approach trail.

In the beginning of the hike, no matter how much I'm conditioned before I go, I'd like to limit my hiking days to around ten miles (easier said than done, I know). This means that the approach trail would add an entire day to my schedule. I put in my head to skip it entirely (its just the approach trail, afterall) but when I was reading this forum it seems like the overwhelming majority of thru hikers also hike the approach trail.

Is there something that I'm missing here? Is it traditional to take the approach trail? Or is there a hiker cultural significance to it? Is there a reason that most people decide to do it other than that it is there?

I feel silly asking this, but if there is a significant reason to hiking the approach trail, I don't want to miss out.
    From what I understand, it is somewhat traditional for those beginning a thru-hike at Springer Mountain to begin their approach to it by starting at the visitor center at Amicalola Falls State Park, walking thru the stone archway, and then beginning an ascent to the top of the falls by climbing which is now like 425 stairs. If this isn't the way you want to begin, and you don't feel like starting ahead of Springer Mountain and hiking about 1 mile back to it, then what I have learned is that you can have someone drive you up to the top of the falls, where there is an upper lot, bathrooms, soda machine, etc...and across from that lot is the approach trail, where it begins atop the falls. You can begin your hike from there, and I think it is like 8 miles or so to Springer Mountain. This way may be preferable to you since you won't have to backtrack, and you will still be able to begin your hike at Amicalola.

Images

Done both. The approach trail is a waste of time. Plus when you get to the first road crossing you are going to go back to the hotel for more buffet. Then prolly zero a day away. Well, I would.

Images

Shakespeare had the approach trail in mind when he wrote: Much Ado About Nothing. It don't make no difference one way or the other in the end.
    Simple is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    It don't make no difference one way or the other in the end.
    true cuz most who start will never make it to the end

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Just happened to notice that Lone Wolf has almost as many posts as miles under his boots, now there is wisdom shared and trodden.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    The only thing special about the approach trail is a huge flight of stairs. With a loaded pack, I wouldn't think this would be much fun.

The only thing special about the Appalachian Trail is the 2175 mile length. With a loaded pack, I wouldn't think this would be much fun.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

I feel silly asking this, but if there is a significant reason to hiking the approach trail, I don't want to miss out.
    no reason. no sense running extra miles when trying to run a marathon.
    the cutesy little arch, scale and shelters on the blu-blaze trail weren't always there

[QUOTE=Trailweaver;1084455]The only thing special about the approach trail is a huge flight of stairs. With a loaded pack, I wouldn't think this would be much fun.

Stairs are just a little warmup for the climb up Mt. Albert, just north of Standing Indian in North Carolina.

AT doesn't actually start till the first whiteblaze atop Springer. It don't make no difference whether you hike the approach or not...HYOH.

Personally, when I start my thru-hike, I will hike the approach and take my time with picture taking and meeting other potential thruhikers. I've been wanting to thru-hike for the last ten years and I might actually attempt the slowest thruhike possible. But then, that's just me !!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheChop

Although seriously if I was doing a SOBO hike I'd fly a helicopter to Baxter Peak, jump out and roll, get up and walk away while the helicopter crashes and explodes behind me. Like a boss.

Ohhh, that would be tight!!!

Walk away? LOL. Running maybe.....from the Baxter Park Authority. LOL.
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    The only thing special about the approach trail is a huge flight of stairs. With a loaded pack, I wouldn't think this would be much fun. Do it as a day hike without a pack, then get your shuttle to the Springer parking lot. Hike to the top of Springer, sign the shelter register, and then go on your way NOBO. If you hike the approach trail with your loaded pack, you may very well quit at the top of Springer. ; - ) I've heard so many people gripe about the approach trail I can't tell you - there's nothing that is written in stone that says you have to do that trail in order to start hiking the AT!
    Trailweaver. Hadn't you noticed yet. There is nothing written in stone about any part of the Appalachian Trail, and except for a few places like Katahdin, nothing special. It's all just trails, through the woods, up and down mountains, along roads, past towns.

I found the approach trail an interesting trail -- even before they built those convenient steps to the top of one of the largest waterfalls in the east, itself well worth pondering. I started late in the day and camped the first night beside a pretty stream and spent the evening identifying the first spring flowers.

The approach trail had other distractions. More wild flowers. The wreck of a single engine plane, and, of course, the historic plaque picturing a hiker in an ancient pack that announced the start of the Appalachian Trail. As I remember was plaque was just as one approached the summit from the trail coming up from Amicalola Park. From the forest service road one would have to cross the summit of Springer before seeing this landmark of the Appalachian Trail, which tells us something about the history of this unique trail and the role of the state park in this history.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++