WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

for me, UL has nothing to do with having socks just for camp. ymmv

goosefeet also makes a seperate shell for his down socks...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Sounds crazy but when I complained of cold feet my brother suggested no socks and I found that it works for me!

A possible reason for that is that your socks are too tight.
    When you go to bed tonight wear the loosest pair of wool socks you have after 30 minutes or so of laying down.
    See if your feet feel warmer or colder after another 15-20 minutes..
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Sounds crazy but when I complained of cold feet my brother suggested no socks and I found that it works for me!

A possible reason for that is that your socks are too tight.
    When you go to bed tonight wear the loosest pair of wool socks you have after 30 minutes or so of laying down.
    See if your feet feel warmer or colder after another 15-20 minutes..
    Franco
    I remember a story of a bicyclist complaining of cold feet during winter cycling.

He used his summer shoes and layered up with 3 pairs of socks and his feet nearly froze.

I told him that he was cutting off the blood circulation to his feet and that was causing the really cold feet.

He insisted that I was crazy.

He kept on complaining from doing the same thing and getting the same results.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Reminds me of my first winter camping trip; a Boy Scout camp near Port Jervis, NY in the late 60's where the temps dropped below zero. I had my high-top leather work boots (from Sears) tied tightly around a few layers of thick socks and nearly lost my toes. Circulation is critical!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

two kroger bags over your feet beneath your socks. Warm
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And then sits in peace with or without our presence. me.

There haven't been enough people answering "possum down!!!" so I'll throw in my two cents: These socks are awesome. I wore them on the CDT when it was getting down to single digits at night and was still toasty. I describe putting them on as "a party for my feet" any my feet are always near numb frozen. The socks weigh 1 oz a piece, can be thrown in the wash with normal stuff, and are still warm when wet. Of course, it all depends on how you define "cold weather" and how you feel about weight. If you're winter camping in the Whites, down booties might be better. If you're thru-hiking during spring/summer, something lighter like the possum down will provide the warmth you need at a modest weight.
    Snorkel
    AT '08, PCT '09, CDT '10

AT 2012

Jack's are Better makes down sleeves which you can pair with a vest (or a wearable underquilt) use as a scarf, wear on your arms OR legs -- and can pull down over your feet when sleeping. I love em.
    Lazarus

a pair of thin wicking socks and about 50 jumping jacks before I get in my bag.

That may sound funny but it's pretty good advice.
    it is very hard to warm up if you get into the bag cold.
    What can happen (and does...) is that we try to warm up by wearing too much clothing or having a too warm sleeping bag.
    That works OK for an hour or two, then we start sweat ting, so we get our stuff wet. At that point becomes a lot harder to remain warm...
    Having said that, I see if I can find some possum down socks locally because I love my hat and glove made from that (fairly fragile BTW...)
    Franco

Wool hiking socks, whatever is most practical for the season.
    Where I hike I can make fire for drying socks, so wool is best.
    It provides 'extra warmth' as it absorbs moisture through the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

That may sound funny but it's pretty good advice.
    Yep, I let the bag do the work of keeping me warm. It's more my job, or rather my body's job, to regulate my heat. I don't want to sweat at all. Pull the moisture, hoping there won't be much or any, off me and keep a steady temp is the goal. That overcompensation of too much clothing and then sweating to adjust to the cold doesn't work for me. Blood circulating with a burst of energy and warmth, along with a solid wicking layer, and then just my bag. Always a successful formula for my winter camping in Michigan-UP and northern Minnesota.

Images

My wife knitted me a pair of merino wool socks. They are the best, as is she!!!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Where I hike I can make fire for drying socks, so wool is best.

On a winter walk i got my socks wet from snow that entered the top (not done up correctly...) of my Neos overshoes.
    So at camp I had the brilliant idea of putting them around the Caldera Cone as I was melting some snow .
    Did a couple of liters of water when I thought better to turn the socks. At that point I remembered that they were in fact a mix of wool and something , a great big melted hole in one of them reminded me of that.
    (I had spare socks...)
    Franco

Wool is incredible. National Geographic did an entire issue on wool. If I remember correctly, it can hold 60% of its weight in water before it feels damp to the touch. A living fiber. I'm grateful I'm not one who is irritated by its itch or texture. Wear a lot of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++