WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Aleve Tied to Heart Problems

http://health.discovery.com/news/hea...jsp?aid=523017

I know that this has been in the news some before but again today they are making a big deal on it... I lived on this stuff for 5 months this year on the AT and plan on going back this Feb and wonder how my knees will hold up without it. I would take 2 every morning and then 2 at night when I got into camp. It would help keep the swelling down in my knees... If I was in a lot of pain I would take more. However, now they are saying not to take it for any period of more then 10 days... Also, from a few of the news reports that I've seen, it appears that Advil is in the same group of pain relievers
    Last edited by Glee; 12-21-2004 at 21:25. Reason: Added Link

Images

Default Meds

I hear you and my frustration is mounting over this. I used VIOXX for almost my entire 2003 hike. I started getting ready for 2005 and went back to the doc and got my VIOXX script refilled. The day I got the prescription filled is the day they took VIOXX off the market. My doctor switched me to Celebrex. Now they are saying it might have the same problem. My doctor said no problem. Switch to Aleve!!! OK...now what!!! I've tried hiking and just using Advil but it doesn't control the swelling in my knees enough. I'm thinking that unless the pull Celebrex from the market, I'm using it. I'm on the lowest dose possible. It REALLY sucks getting old!!!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Taking Aleve can give you a heart attack.

Hiking up mountains can give you a heart attack.

Ain't gonna stop me from doing either one.

To date, their doesn't seem to be a problem with the most commonly used hiker painkiller, Ibuprofen.

But if your stomach will permit it, one might be better off with plain old aspirin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    To date, their doesn't seem to be a problem with the most commonly used hiker painkiller, Ibuprofen.

But if your stomach will permit it, one might be better off with plain old aspirin.
    aspirin helps the pain, but I don't believe it helps with the swelling. Ibuprofen does.

Gravity

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gravityman
    aspirin helps the pain, but I don't believe it helps with the swelling. Ibuprofen does. Gravity
    I think aspirin in fact reduces inflamation. It's Tylenol that is strictly an analgesic. However, no one should take my word for this. These comments are based on vague memories.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin

Ibuprofen and aleve really upset my stomach but I have found that ketoprofen ( Orudis ) doesn't. It is hard to find in some stores but Walmart in my area always has it.

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Wink It's been one of those days,for me, so here goes.....

...what if, say, we were hiking along and the knees/back/whatever starting hurting like hell and we had the vioxx/celebrex/aleve/advil handy and.....didn't take any? What would we do then? Might we, oh, slow down or put on a knee brace or make camp a bit sooner that day perhaps?? ...and the doc says "if it hurts when you do it that way, quit doing it that way". I dunno. I few hikes ago I think I about killed myself taking way too many advil for knee pain. Seems I caused way more knee problems taking the stuff since i was masking the pain and causing more damage along the way. I'm learning.

"Seems I caused way more knee problems taking the stuff since i was masking the pain and causing more damage along the way."

Tractor, that's just plain smart.

Pain is a signal that damage is being done to your body.

Pain is weakness leaving the body. Suck it up and hike without pills.

Quote Originally Posted by Tractor
    ...what if, say, we were hiking along and the knees/back/whatever starting hurting like hell and we had the vioxx/celebrex/aleve/advil handy and.....didn't take any? What would we do then? Might we, oh, slow down or put on a knee brace or make camp a bit sooner that day perhaps?? ...and the doc says "if it hurts when you do it that way, quit doing it that way". I dunno. I few hikes ago I think I about killed myself taking way too many advil for knee pain. Seems I caused way more knee problems taking the stuff since i was masking the pain and causing more damage along the way. I'm learning.
    BINGO
    Slow down, do less miles, lower weight, nah take a pill. Drug companies don't lie. They're here to help us.

++ New Posts ++