WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Chantrelles are very good.
    WE found them a few times on our PCT hike in '96 and had them with garlic and oil which i normally carry.
    Good Stuff.
    Wow, I can think of only a few days on the PCT when I might have found chanterelles.

There's nothing better than food you find in the forest. Berries, onions, fruit, nuts, seeds, greens, fish, things that have feet or wings and now mushrooms. There's something just so primally fun about finding food.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Definitely. I'll bet they were wearing cotton when they picked them too.
    and in the rain, on the north side of a mountain.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    and in the rain, on the north side of a mountain.
    Shoosh! You are giving too much away. I'll never tell you where I was. I was most definitely not wearing cotton, but I did not have a compass or map. Caution to the wind, baby!

No cellphone either.....
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Wow, I can think of only a few days on the PCT when I might have found chanterelles.

There's nothing better than food you find in the forest. Berries, onions, fruit, nuts, seeds, greens, fish, things that have feet or wings and now mushrooms. There's something just so primally fun about finding food.
    In Oregon and close to the WA border, we were finding them almost everyday.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

All mushrooms are edible at least once.

Recommend you only eat mushrooms that are edible at least two or more times.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

That's a hard wurd, at least for me, to spell Tidely. I knew I had it whrong but was too much in a horry and tired to spelt check it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    That's a hard wurd, at least for me, to spell Tidely. I knew I had it whrong but was too much in a horry and tired to spelt check it.
    Glad it wasn't the mushrooms after all...

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

I found some chicken of the woods at the Manassas gap shelter (growing on a log)
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

We went back to get some more! This is my boyfriend. I hope he cooks them up better than I did! If we live after eating all these, then we'll know for sure, won't we?

Images

Default Only three possibilities

You're either going to be really full , really high , or really dead .
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I need a bigger pencil.

You have much better odds of NOT eating a poisonous mushroom in the US than you would in western Europe, due to the numbers and varieties. I also remember reading that 90% of fatalities are caused by the "death cap" and that cooking them, by any means or length, does not lessen the toxicity. I do know that some folks, mostly amateurs, look for and consume "magic mushrooms" to get a buzz, sometimes that leads to sickness or death. I also understand that of the thousands of different varieties of mushrooms that less than a 100 of these or toxic, not necessarily deadly, but toxic.

"Before I say anything else about the Sulphur Shelf or Chicken Mushroom (Laetiporus sulphureus, see photos above and below), I need to emphasize that it is very important to know what kind of tree it is growing on! Since the tree is often dead, this can be a bit tricky—but it's important because when the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf grows on certain kinds of trees, it should be avoided! (There are actually distinct species, such as L. gilbertsonii which found on various hardwoods, primarily in California; L. conifericola, which grows on various conifers; and L. huronensis, which grows primarily on Eastern hemlock and is especially common during springtime.) Fortunately, the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf is usually found on trunks, stumps and logs that still bear some bark, which can be the vital clue to identifying the tree—IF you can identify trees on this basis. The bottom line is that if you cannot tell the bark of a black cherry tree from that of an Eastern hemlock tree, for example, you ought to steer clear of the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf unless it is growing on a living tree that you can identify.

SULPHUR SHELF MUSHROOMS GROWING ON ANY CONIFER TREE (PINE, HEMLOCK, SPRUCE, FIR, LARCH/TAMARACK, ETC.), EUCALYPTUS, OR LOCUST TREES SHOULD NOT BE EATEN! Also, as with a number of wild mushrooms and many other foods (e.g. shellfish, peanuts, and milk products), some individuals have allergic reactions to this particular species.

Now that you've been duly warned, I can tell you this: Few edible wild mushrooms are considered as exciting a find as the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf. It has a unique mushroomy flavor and a slightly grainy, meaty texture, and a single dead tree or log will often....." READ IT ALL here http://americanmushrooms.com/edibles4.htm

This is a good website by the way

how do you get the photo to 'show up' in your post? i have not figured that one out yet
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    "Before I say anything else about the Sulphur Shelf or Chicken Mushroom (Laetiporus sulphureus, see photos above and below), I need to emphasize that it is very important to know what kind of tree it is growing on! Since the tree is often dead, this can be a bit tricky—but it's important because when the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf grows on certain kinds of trees, it should be avoided! (There are actually distinct species, such as L. gilbertsonii which found on various hardwoods, primarily in California; L. conifericola, which grows on various conifers; and L. huronensis, which grows primarily on Eastern hemlock and is especially common during springtime.) Fortunately, the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf is usually found on trunks, stumps and logs that still bear some bark, which can be the vital clue to identifying the tree—IF you can identify trees on this basis. The bottom line is that if you cannot tell the bark of a black cherry tree from that of an Eastern hemlock tree, for example, you ought to steer clear of the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf unless it is growing on a living tree that you can identify.

SULPHUR SHELF MUSHROOMS GROWING ON ANY CONIFER TREE (PINE, HEMLOCK, SPRUCE, FIR, LARCH/TAMARACK, ETC.), EUCALYPTUS, OR LOCUST TREES SHOULD NOT BE EATEN! Also, as with a number of wild mushrooms and many other foods (e.g. shellfish, peanuts, and milk products), some individuals have allergic reactions to this particular species.

Now that you've been duly warned, I can tell you this: Few edible wild mushrooms are considered as exciting a find as the Chicken Mushroom or Sulphur Shelf. It has a unique mushroomy flavor and a slightly grainy, meaty texture, and a single dead tree or log will often....." READ IT ALL here http://americanmushrooms.com/edibles4.htm

This is a good website by the way

how do you get the photo to 'show up' in your post? i have not figured that one out yet
    If it's hosted on a website, you use the UBB code of [IMG]...[/IMG]

Images

Oysters. Yep find a good deal of Oyster Mushrooms when I am out and about that is one of a few that I feel comfortable picking and eating. I found a great flush this year very early fall on my way home from work one day and made a huge pot of Cream of Mushroom soup.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Images

These grow in my back pasture by the fence I'm SO tempted . . .

"That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Those are some scary looking mushrooms. I wouldn't eat anything that looked like that.

i hate this thread. any advice i can offer is redundent to common sence given. i dont mean given by other posters here. i mean certian common sences are a givin. apon seeking safe travel thru the further places, or in your jade plant. mine had a shroom o death growing in it last month. anyway, just so im not guilty if you eat bad shrooms,..and because you cant say things enough some times, and cause maby it hasnt been said(1 in 9 trillion chance),..old wrinkely folks need to take you shrooming. never a book the first times.sorry bobby,r.i.p.,..or any young whipper snapper who has shroomin asperiunce.
    gabeesh?
    matthewski

ill give you a really scary example of how it turns deadly quick when you dont have an old guy like old man bobby, the best shroomer in bloomers ever was.
    take any mushroom. or even a silly ramp. all have their lookalike. all books have mistakes. well most. take the ramp. ramp stew, ramp shrimp, ramp gum, ramp pie, ramp and fryed eggs, ramp scampi, i could go on. we all think we know what they are and we go down the trail proude of our ramp ramans and so on. but theres a certian little party pooper lookalike caled a death calamus. next lets look at the other single most likely to be found in a thruhikers belly mushroom. a morrel. most folks eatin morels know how to get them cause they got taught by gramps. or whoever. but not every book learned shroomers book may show or tell of the false morrel. most books do. but i can show you ones that dont is my point. and death is the difference between a hollow stem or not. not so hard to learn. but from a person who has lived long and eaten them that they picked , its a safe bet its safe. however, to be free of any worry,firstimers cannot depend on a book. rant ends. sorry.
    matthewski

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++