WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Don't kid yourself. There are lots of bears out there. (Particularly in the San Juans.) There were 1162 bear sightings in the Durango area in 2010 alone. (Not a misprint) http://durangoherald.com/article/201...t-know-the-law We had an incident recently where the body of a person camping near town was found partially eaten by a bear. (No conclusion was reached whether he died before or after the bear visit, but they found human tissue in the bear that was snacking on him.)

I have been intimately involved with the Colorado Trail for a number of years and have completed it five times. I have seen fifteen or so bears while hiking, biking, and doing trail work. All but two of those were between Eddiesville and Durango. (Segments 20-28) I have been on the adopter crew for the Elk Creek portion of Segment 24 and bears are commonly seen there. I know of several incidents where bears along the Colorado Trail have relieved people of food, damaged tents, or bluff charged hikers. There ARE some problem bears living along the CT.

We always cook a fair distance from where we sleep and hang our food if possible. The two cord method is definitely superior and recommended. It will almost always work effectively.

It's up to you.

@bearcreek, that's actually something of a relief. It's not relieving to see that people have had their tents damaged, food stolen and (God forbid) their flesh eaten by bears. But I'm glad to see that my anxieties aren't paranoia.

I've not checked the forum to see if you've posted onto it before. So tell me-- how would you recommend storing your food when camping above treeline?
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

I put my food bag outside 100' or so from the tent. Haven't lost any food yet, but if I do at least I will be able to hike out for more....

Segments 23 and 24.(Above Spring Creek to Elk Creek)are the only segments where you have no trees for long distances. I have spent lot of time in there and have never encountered a bear. It is the home of the largest elk herd in Colorado. You are almost guaranteed to see elk.

"I've not checked the forum to see if you've posted onto it before."

When checking bona fides, start here:
    http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    I put my food bag outside 100' or so from the tent. Haven't lost any food yet, but if I do at least I will be able to hike out for more.... When checking bona fides, start here:
    http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com
    Thanks for the advice. What's your opinion of Ursacks?
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Images

I store food above the tree line with a system of ropes and pulleys......the mules do most of the work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++