WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Colorado Trail Trail resupply points???

Need advice from folks who have done it and therefore know best.

What towns are best for resupply?

Looking over my topos and guide book and reading Pmags End to End guide I'm thinking of using the following:

Breckenridge
    Leadville
    Salida
    Creede
    Silverton

It also looks like each of those towns has a hostel with the exception of Creede. Anyone know of good lodging in Creede? I've never been through there.

Anyway, from those of you who have done it, are these preferable towns?

Thanks!

The best reference is PMags "CT End to End Guide" available free online at http:www/pmags.com. Lists all the possible resupply ponits, distances from trails, etc.

That said, I resupplied easily in Breckenridge. Excellent outfitter and full service, easy to walk around town. Free shuttle bus to and from CT trailhead.

My research last year found these outfitters along the CT:

Breckenridge: Mountain Outfitters 970-453-2201
    Leadville: Sawatch Backcountry 719-486-2271

Buena Vista: Trailhead Sports 719-395-8002
    Salida: Salida Mountain Sports 719-539-4400Creede: San Juan Sports 719-658-2482Lake City: Sportsman Outdoor & Fly Shop 970-944-2526

Silverton: Outdoor World 970-387-5628
    Durango Backcountry Experience 970-247-5830

During July and most of August, there is a resident trail angel at Lujan Pass (2 miles north of CO-114, the end of segment 17) who will hold resupply parcels. This is 48 miles south of Salida and allows you to skip the long, hard hitch to and from Creede. Search for his posts on the CT Forum at Trailforums.com.

Yuo can also resupply in Twin Lakes at the General Store/PO. THey hold resupply packages.

We got drunk in the bar in Creede and some cool people invited us home.
    That was fun.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Land shark on the move. The ct is not at all like the at. There is not the level of commerlization as found on the at. Most will not stop to give a lift Colo. Is not hich friendly. But Breck. Has free bus shuttle just stand at the bus stop. Salida is just a KICK ASS town will eventually move there and start hostle to service this trail it needs angles. Twin Lakes is a must MT Massive is a must see. The elevation will make you a man of steal good luck

Default resupply

I have done it last summer :

-Jefferson : easy hitch on US-285 at Kenosha Pass especially on week-end; just to have a lunch and buy some snacks

-Breck : day off

-Leadville : lunch and resupply at Safeway

-Twin Lakes : very poor grocery but I had sent a box, nice and quite cheap hotel

-Buena Vista : day off

-Salida : afternoon and night in hostel for resupply

-Creede : day off - just after San Luis Peak you can go dow to a 4w road where a woman from Creede pick you up for 10 USD, way back included. Night at snowshoe lodge, friendly but don't remember the price

-Silverton : day off

Elodie
    www.elodie.stephane.voyages.seemee.fr

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elodie View Post
    I have done it last summer :

-Jefferson : easy hitch on US-285 at Kenosha Pass especially on week-end; just to have a lunch and buy some snacks

-Breck : day off

-Leadville : lunch and resupply at Safeway

-Twin Lakes : very poor grocery but I had sent a box, nice and quite cheap hotel

-Buena Vista : day off

-Salida : afternoon and night in hostel for resupply

-Creede : day off - just after San Luis Peak you can go dow to a 4w road where a woman from Creede pick you up for 10 USD, way back included. Night at snowshoe lodge, friendly but don't remember the price

-Silverton : day off

Elodie
    www.elodie.stephane.voyages.seemee.fr
    Do you get to Silverton by hitching or side trail?

Twin Lakes store was up for sale. So selection may be better or worse and who knows about weekend packages. It is a bit out of the way.

The Breckenridge bus also goes (when it is coming from Breckenridge) to Frisco. Frisco is more convenient from Copper Mt. So, Frisco might be more flexible.
    Rambler

Images

The Copper Mountain/Frisco/Breckenridge is excellent. Use it. You could even do a slackpack from Breck over the next mountain ridge to Copper Mountain and take the bus back.

Twin Lakes is a decent maildrop. Don't expect to resupply there otherwise unless you only hike on candy bars. It is an easy, relatively flat 1.? mile walk each way. Don't expect a hitch, but if you stick a thumb out while walking, you may get lucky.

The Leadville Hostel was a fantastic place in a great little town.

Salida was excellent. The Circle R Motel was about $50 bucks a night in 2006, hikers getting $10 off the normal rate. It was a very hiker friendly place, with an easy walk of less than a mile to the outfitter and shops downtown and many dining choices within a quarter mile.

Take the walk down the forest service road to get into Creede. I was the guy in Mags' guide who got passed by 100s of cars on Rt149 on the Fourth of July. No one will stop for you there. Just walk down. It's faster.

Silverton is easy to get into and out of. You could even "silver blaze" your way into town on the Durango Silverton Railroad about 3 miles before you hit the road. It would save you the 1000+ foot climb up all the rock steps.

Enjoy the walk. It was phenomenal.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I get to Siverton by hitch from Molas Pass, easiest hitch of my life (less than 10 seconds !)
    Twin lakes was on my way because then I hiked up to Hope Pass and Mount Belford, beautiful alternative route.

Elodie

re: the recommended alternate route from San Luis Pass (elev 11,920) into Creede (elev 8840 feet);

Be aware that it is 9.5 miles (vs. 33 from Spring Creek Pass) and a drop of 3,100 feet.

I submit that if you resupplied at Lujan Pass, you could skip Creede altogether and push on to Silverton.

Default Creede

Quote Originally Posted by wandering_bob View Post
    re: the recommended alternate route from San Luis Pass (elev 11,920) into Creede (elev 8840 feet);

Be aware that it is 9.5 miles (vs. 33 from Spring Creek Pass) and a drop of 3,100 feet.

I submit that if you resupplied at Lujan Pass, you could skip Creede altogether and push on to Silverton.
    Creede is a really nice city, small and quiet. You can arrange a pick up not far from San Luis pass as I said in a previous post.
    First I plan to get to Creede from Spring creek Pass but because of the weather we decided at San Luis Pass to go down to Creede. We were lucky to meet that woman who was taking back to the trail others hikers !

I'm giving my shot on the resupply. I don't know which town is the best for resupply. They vary from one to the others in function, style, fun..., but are always a necessary part of the "food chain" I mostly referenced Mags' CT guide with a little modification, and didn't mail myself anything to the trail. The following town stops are what I made last summer.

Jefferson, exit at Kenosha Pass:
    Hitch: easy, trail and highway cross each other.
    Food: I didn't go as I got some leftover from other hikers who finished at Kenosha Pass!
    Comm: necessary, usually takes four days to get there from northern terminus if you don't want carry too much food.

Breckenridge, exit at Rt.9:
    Hitch: very easy, trail and highway cross each other. And free bus 30 min. interval to town at rush hours!
    Food: a great supper market
    Comm: must stop. And a great hostel

Leadville, exit at FS 104:
    Hitch: not much traffic at the trail head or county road. I walked nearly 20 min. during 100 mile Mt. biking before getting a hitch. Better during weekends.

Salida, exit at Rt. 50:
    Hitch: a lot of traffic, not so easy. I waited 1 hour at roadside with burnt neck when two vehicles stopped for me!

Creede, exit at Rt. 149:
    Hitch: a little traffic, not so easy, maybe very difficult. But I was luck to have a hitch in less than 10 min.
    Food: a fairly good market place
    Comm: I'd rather go to Lake City next time if applicable. The lodging and transportation back to the trail are just "too" expensive unless you have multiple person to share the cost.

Silverton, exit at Molas Pass:
    Hitch: quite traffic, maybe easy. I got a one in less than 10 min.
    Food: a fairly good market place

Colorado Trail '07 / JMT '12

I took a day off in Lake City in 2007. There's not a lot of traffic on the road down from Spring Creek Pass, but before I had time to worry about that I met meet a couple in the parking lot at the pass that offered a ride.

Lake City is a neat town with grocery and lodging options -- I'd recommend it over Creede.

Most of it has been covered but I'll add abit. I have yet to hike the CDT and CT south of Leadville(they are on the spring and early summer 2011 hiking agenda) so can't speak from personal experience south of there.

PMags CT site is the most comprehensive to the pt thru-hikers guide for the CT.
    Here are the places I visited or that I know about:

Bailey - no grocery store, marginal resupply at gas station, cheap rooms at some motels, two restaurants(Chinese/Thai, the American diner is cheap ands serves up decent sized portions!, take a meal back to the trail to get you to Jefferson), PO, laundromat, small park along river(ask kindly at the liquor store and they may let you stay in the park in a gazebo along the river), Bailey is on a busy paved road that is used to get from Denver to Breckinridge(also goes by Jefferson), I would not go into Bailey unless I got a ride at the TH(longish walk on gravel rd!), have not taken the 9 mile cut-off trail described by Mags

Jefferson - I'll ditto Elodie's comments, "easy hitch on US-285 at Kenosha Pass especially on week-end; just to have a lunch and buy some snacks." At the Pass there is a campground entrance, some historical exhibits that folks stop to look at, a parking area frequented by mountain bikers as a put in spot for the CT, a decent view, and some folks use this rd to get into Breck, all of which make for an easy hitch to/from Jefferson. Limited but possible resupply at the general store(more possibilities than the gas station in Bailey, some good bakery products, a deli and cafe(with some unusual hrs!, b-fast and lunch!). PO in store. A diner across the street if the general store cafe is closed. Nice views up/down the valley.

Breck/Frisco/Silverthorne - full service towns connected by free bus system! Fireside Inn in Breck is top shelf, inexpensive, and a nice "zero" wandering around Breck or going into adjacent towns(Beware of the cost of gear at some of the outfitters in Breck!), soup and sandwich shop next to large grocery store in Breck has GREAT healthy handmade soups at affordable prices, Healthfood store in Silverthorne, also Hostel in Silverthorne, I did the slackpack Bearpaw mentioned by staying at the Fireside Inn 1 night, took the bus over to Copper Mnt and slackpacked back to Breck and then took the buses back to Copper Mnt the following day to continue south to Tennessee Pass, IMO, the CT gets more strenuous south of Breck/Copper Mnt, although I hiked into Breck FROM the north on the CDT over Grays/Torreys Peaks(adjacent 14 ers) if you were into bagging 14 ers you could hitch from Silverthorne to the Grays/Torreys Peak TH(lots of traffic especially on weekends) and get a hitch back to Siverthorne after doing the summits OR hike south on the CDT into Breck(that's a GREAT ridge hiking section on the CDT proper!, might add 2 - 2 1/2 days total to a CT thru-hike).

Twin Lakes - send package!, just some snacks, I did, helped me manage my pack wt while blue blazing up Mt Massive and Mt Elbert

Leadville- I didn't need to go here until I found out job required me to get off the trail(Glad I did!), GREAT hostel, good grocery store, I thought it not a hard hitch though it seems I have to work harder to get hitches in touristy ski resort areas, no matter where I am(east coast, mid west, west, southwest), than anywhere else!

Salida - hostel, grocery store, Monarch Campground(showers, SMALL campstore for snacks) and Monarch Lodge both hold packages for free even if you are not staying there if you don't wish to go into Salida

Creede - I will probably go into Lake City

Silverton - hostel(hiker friendly, owned by Sarong's(hiked the PCT and CDT)mother, GREAT place, hot tub, hiker friendly), decent market

Wandering Bob, if the trail angel isn't available to hold resupply packages where else can you resupply at Lujan pass? Have you used this trail angel? Know his name?

Thanks

Default trail angel

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Wandering Bob, if the trail angel isn't available to hold resupply packages where else can you resupply at Lujan pass? Have you used this trail angel? Know his name?

Thanks
    Trail Angel's name is Apple. Last year, he send many posts on www.trailforums.com . I dit not count on him but he was a blessing !

There is no much traffic at Lujan Pass. so hitching could be difficult. It seems remote.

Thanks all for the beta.

Default In 2011....

On our July 24-August 30 hike this year, we used 8 resupply points:

1. Buffalo Creek - maildrop to PO/General Store. Hitching to store was unsuccesful - had to walk the 3 miles. Got a ride back from a homeless guy living out of his car. Store was dingy and the clerk rather unresponsive to basic requests. Wouldn't go there again. The only reason we chose it was our desire to start out with light packs to acclimate.

2. Jeffersonville - maildrop to PO/General Store. Nice little store, nice people, got a ride to and back from a Trail Angel who happened by and wanted to "give back" after his own thruhike.

3. Breckenridge - maildrop to Fireside Inn hostel. Also bought supplies at the local grocery store (City Market). Stayed 2 nights, slackpacked the day after arrival to Copper Mountain using the free bus schedule. Owner gave me a free fuel canister.

4. Leadville - maildrop to Leadville hostel. Got a shuttle both ways from "Wild Bill," the hostel owner. One of the best if not the bes hostel I've ever stayed in.

5. Twin Lakes - maildrop to PO/General Store. Walked a mile to the store. Wasn't open yet but a local guy had a key and let us in to get our packages. Got a ride back from a vacationing family who were fascinated with our thruhike. The Dad said "it was an honor" to shuttle us! BTW, the store did sell fuel canisters for my Coleman Exponent Ultralight and similar types like the Pocket Rocket; didn't expect this.

6. Salida - maildrop to Simple Lodge & Hostel. Got a ride right to the door from a Trail Angel - a young woman we had met a few days earlier hiking up Mt. Yale. Salida was our first zero day - very nice town. Bought myself a new pair of trail shoes after my boots fell apart. Hostel owner shuttled us back to trail.

7. Creede - maildrop to Snowshoe Lodge. We really lucked out on transportation as Creede is a tough hitch. After walking the one-mile side trail, we walked another 2-3 miles down the dirt 4WD road where we hardly saw anyone. But a family from Texas drove up and offered to take us a few miles. After conversation in the car, they generously took us all the way to Creede and refused gas money. Trail Angels!

We decided to stay in Creede 2 nights and slackpack the next day so we obtained a shuttle from the guy who owns the outfitter all the way to the one-mile sidetrail and a return shuttle from a local woman from the the end of the next segment, over 30 road miles away on Rt. 149. She also drove us back the next morning to that point.

8. Silverton - maildrop to Silverton Hostel. Did a zero day. Got a ride with less than 5 minutes of hitching into town, got a shuttle for return.

Also, there was discussion about the Trail Angel at Lujan Pass. We met Mr. Appel on the trail several miles from his setup. He encouraged us to partake of his goodies which we did when we arrived there. Very generous. BTW, he also dispenses trail goodies to AT hikers in NC in the Spring.

So is there any comprehensive list of all the trail resupply points? Not looking for town names, want a bit more detail, specifically looking for points that I don’t have to hike into town but where friends can drive to meet me or where I can hitch from.
    i.e. Segment 5: 14.4 mile point – Kenosha Pass – 4.5 miles to Jefferson
    Any help, or additional resupply points like this one would be greatly appreciated.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailnametba View Post
    So is there any comprehensive list of all the trail resupply points? Not looking for town names, want a bit more detail, specifically looking for points that I don’t have to hike into town but where friends can drive to meet me or where I can hitch from.
    i.e. Segment 5: 14.4 mile point – Kenosha Pass – 4.5 miles to Jefferson
    Any help, or additional resupply points like this one would be greatly appreciated.
    Yeah, buy the databook: http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Co...-DATABOOK4.htm

You'll need it to hike the trail anyways. I'd give you the mileage info you're looking for but my databook was destroyed during the thru-hike. Cookerhikers post lists all the resupply points in great detail.

1) Skip Buffalo Creek as he suggests, bring enough dinners from Denver to get you to Breck/Frisco but buy snacks, lunches, and breakfasts from the store in Jefferson. Eat at the store in Jefferson, it's cheap and the staff is super-friendly.

2) Resupply in Frisco because it's cheaper than Breck. Slackpack over the 10-mile range to Copper Mt then catch the bus back to Breck if you want an easy day.

3) Good resupply in Leadville, buy enough stove fuel to get to Buena Vista or Salida because Twin Lakes may not have any.

4) Twin Lakes you need a mail-drop to get you to either Buena Vista or Salida. It takes a little longer for mail to get here so send it with time to spare. I sent myself a package from Breck and I had to wait a day for it to arrive here.

5) Buena Vista has good resupply but you could skip it, though I wouldn't. Easy to get in and out.

6) Salida has good resupply. You need a lot of food to get you to Creede.

7) Creede has good resupply. You can get into town via a 1.5 mile side trail and an 8 mile hitch on a dirt FS road. Or you can get there via Spring Creek Pass, this has been described as a hard hitch so I didn't try it and went into and out of Creede via the FS route without difficulty. Everyone I talked to in 2011 that hitched from Spring Creek Pass said it was easy and if I had it to do all over again that's what I would have done. It's 33 miles to Creede but it's a paved road in Colorado. A man or woman with a backpack on a paved road in CO with their thumb out will get a hitch. Lake City can also be hitched to at Spring Creek Pass but there isn't a grocery store there anymore.

8) Silverton has a good resupply

Most hitches took less than 10 minutes, some where instantaneous. Hardest one for me was leaving Salida but it only took 20-30 minutes. You're hitching from a 4-lane highway in front of a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++