WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Looking for a new sleeping bag

So I'm on the market for a new sleeping bag. My current bag is around 38 oz I believe, synthetic, and rated at 25deg. The biggest problem I have with it is its large stuff size. I'm looking for a new bag rated around the same temp (+- 10deg), and the same weight or lighter. It doesn't matter too much to me if its down or synthetic, but I want it to be able to last. The biggest thing I'm looking for is something that is lightweight and compacts well (I'm trying to get into ultralight hiking). Any ideas?
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

Images

i just got a RAB quantum 600...it's down, weighs 37 ounces and is rated at comfort for 7 degrees...haven't used it yet, but everything by RAB i've tried i've loved...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

Default Sleeping bag comparison

Backcountrygear has a good comparison matrix for several different bags

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagtable.cfm

all depends on cash if you can afford it look at western mountaineering.if not check out the campmor 20 degree down bag i have both and for the money the campmor bag is not bad all.

Mont-Bell Spiral Down Hugger #3: 19 oz. in regular and compresses to a litre bottle size. Excellent bag in my opinion: have used in 25 degree temp. inside a TT Moment with only a wool baselayer on and comfortable sleep.

www.mont-bell

Images

Down bags will compress better and last much longer, as well as being lighter for the same warmth. If you are thin, the REI Sub Kilo is on sale for a great price at the REI Outlet. If not, the Western Mountaineering Megalite or the Montbell UL Super Stretch Down Hugger would be good choices. These bags are not cheap, but if handled with reasonable care they will last a lifetime.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Hike smarter, not harder.

Western Mountaineering Versalight.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Forgot to mention one of the most important specs- the price. I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive, as I'm a poor college student spending most of my money on alcohol . I'm thinking something around $150 or less. Right now I'm looking at the Kelty Light Year 40. Doesn't have the best temp rating but 650 down and I can get it for $106 on amazon.

http://www.mountainsports.com/msmain...0+Sleeping+Bag

Here ya go take it for $88.

But your going from a 25 to a 40 degree bag I see that you are a hanger, is this for the hammock? Did you ever consider a top quilt? Much lighter, warmer and compact able.

Images

Is a top quilt in addition to a sleeping bag? The reason I want to scratch my 25 is because it is not compact at all and I'm trying to transition to much lighter weight and smaller packsize.

No, go to hammockforum.net many vendors there that sell top quilts. Also good advice

ops hammockforums.net

Spider,

I know where you are coming from, my friend & I hit the REI used gear sale. I pickup a Halo 25 for my wife for $75 has tags still on it, someone changed their mind. Check your local sporting gear stores for sales, I pickup a new 2008 Golite JAM 2 for 24.99 back in may of this year.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
    all depends on cash if you can afford it look at western mountaineering.if not check out the campmor 20 degree down bag i have both and for the money the campmor bag is not bad all.
    I agree with jigsaw! I have the campmor 20 degree rectangular down bag (don't like mummy bags). About $130 and it keeps me warm at 30 degrees. I've never tried it in colder weather. I can unzip it and use it as a quilt in warmer weather. mine is 39 oz with stuff sack.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Forgot to mention one of the most important specs- the price. I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive, as I'm a poor college student spending most of my money on alcohol . I'm thinking something around $150 or less. Right now I'm looking at the Kelty Light Year 40. Doesn't have the best temp rating but 650 down and I can get it for $106 on amazon.
    I owned the Light Year 40 in down, and froze my buns off under 50-F. It's a nice enough bag but mine just didn't have enough down -- it had large flat spots all over where the top and bottom shell fabric met w/o any down.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Whatever down bag you get will be a revelation in comparison to your synthetic. Whichever one you choose, get one rated for at least as cold as you expect it to be, I prefer 10* warmer than I expect it to be.

I think the campmor down bag is what you want. I'd pass on the kelty unless you get a 20 for less than the campmor 20. I think the light year is not full zip, most people recommend full zip so you can use it as a quilt when it gets warmer.

I have used the Kelty Light Year 40 down bag (and a 45 before that). It kept me toasty down to about freezing and to around 20 with all my clothes on. I only paid about 80 bucks for mine (return). Never found any flat spots. I plan to use the Light Year 40 as my only bag for an April 1 start.

Definately look into quilts. If you haven't yet, you will wish later that you considered them. I'm a recent convert, and I dig it. Easy entry and exit. Warm and very light. If you're serious about shaving weight, this is the way to go. Check out Golite. Look for sales. Good luck!

Images

Montbell makes some pretty nice sleeping bags.

Default bag

I have a used North Face bag, barely used....Used maybe 5 nights total....just moving to a lighter bag and down. ....no holes, stains, or tears, smoke free home, always stored in closet hanging...Asking $100 shipped...comes with stuff sack...weighs 2# 6 oz on my scale...email me at [email protected]

Heres backcountrys description...

The North Face made the Orion 20 Degree Climashield Orion Sleeping Bag with a synthetic insulation that retains heat and loft, so you can enjoy gazing at the constellations fall, summer, and spring, year after year. Large filaments in the Climashield insulation retain the Orion's loft, while small fibers trap heat. The North Face Climashield insulation retains warmth on wet, drizzly nights, and the Orion Sleeping Bag's vaulted footbox gives your feet room to roam.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++