WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

this is all really great advice.
    If considering all of the above and not considering the weight so much, I would chose the Contrail or Lunar Solo (tough to decide). I am glad I only have to decide which one I want for a particular trip.
    The Rainbow would work if the OP is 6' or under as it is 88" long with the floor up (a few inches longer if you drop it down flat) , and 38" wide (again a bit wider with the floor down)
    As I mentioned above with trekking poles it is very easy to set up on platforms, however a mate of mine guyed his out. Took about the same time as me with the poles.
    Now I'm really torn though. I really want the One because it's the lightest, and I really like their company/products. But it's backordered, and I need a tent...now.

a) I really like tents that can utilize only trekking poles (the one, the contrail, the lunar solo). I don't currently have trekking poles though, and don't intend to buy them right now.
    b) If I'm not using trekking poles and have to get tent poles (or, even if I buy trekking poles, on this hike I would mostly be carrying them in my pack) a lot of these super super light 1 person tents become not too much lighter than 2 person tents.
    c) so if I mostly hike with friends at home, and if solo almost always bring my dog...and the tent I want is out of stock...and the other 1 person tents are not that much lighter cuz of the poles...then I may as well skip 1 person tents altogether and upgrade my 2 person tent, suck it up and carry the extra 1lb on this 1 trip, and worry about getting a super light 1 person tent later, when I have more solo trips planned, when i don't have to pay int'l shipping, when I own trekking poles, etc. For now, I will get a lot more use out of a 2 person tent.

I really just want 5 tents though (jealous)...

So given that logic...now I have to start over.

I'm liking the look of the tarptent rainbow double...then I would definitely have room for 2, if hiking with 2 split between us would be super super light, and if carrying it alone i can deal with 2.5 lbs, at least for now.

So I'm leaning towards the rainbow double. Any reason why the lunar duo would be a better choice?

Images

The Tarptent double rainbow is a nice tent (don't own one of these though). The Lunar Duo might require more guying out, just because of its design.

I have heard that a lot of folks use the Tarptent Rainbow (single) as a two person tent.

Believe it or not, I actually do use all of my tents at some point during the year. I used the One the most though. I also like to use tarps. They are very flexible to set up. Lots of folks worry about the bugs, but if you are planning to use AT shelters, then get used to bugs and mice. I figure a tarp is not much different than the shelters and is a lightweight alternative for people that are not planning to camp a lot. I hate carrying a heavy tent and then spend 90% of my nights in the shelters, but I always have some kind of shelter with me since I like to keep all of the options open.

Your plan for now sounds reasonable. The One can be difficult to score; I wanted one for a year, but did not catch it in stock for 10 long months.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

After much deliberation, I just ordered the Tarptent The Moment.

We'll see how it goes on the Tasmanian trail! I still really really want a gossamer gear tent and my dog won't fit probably in the moment, but it will work really well for this trip with only 2 stakes/tie outs, and I can always sell it later, or well...one can never have too many tents!

Happy birthday to me Thanks all for the great advice.

Default Congrats!

I've had a TT Moment for 2 seasons and love it. From my experience it will hold up in constant 35 to 45 mph winds with no flapping.

I will soon post photos of the mods I've made to it on Backpacking Light at the GEAR forum.

Eric B.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    I've had a TT Moment for 2 seasons and love it. From my experience it will hold up in constant 35 to 45 mph winds with no flapping.

I will soon post photos of the mods I've made to it on Backpacking Light at the GEAR forum.

Eric B.
    Why did you have to make mods?

Because as you should know by now, Eric likes to modify all of his shelters (and so do I when I can...)
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Because as you should know by now, Eric likes to modify all of his shelters (and so do I when I can...)
    Franco
    Hi Eric, er Franco.

I am curious to know what mods were required.

Hey David
    you'll love this.
    Last week a mate lent his Moment to his boss. She happens to be the manager of the largest outdoor shop in Melbourne.
    Took that up to the Alps for a few days with a couple of her friends. They were all suitably impressed, enough for one of them to put one on order.
    (there is no stock right now...)
    Keep in mind that she could have had at half retail price (yep, that is the local mark up) any of the shelters made by about a dozen of the "top" brands...
    Franco

Images

That's amazing. Well, with the comissions I guess the beers are on you tonight.

I like your positive outlook. Can you bottle that stuff ?
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I like your positive outlook. Can you bottle that stuff ?
    Franco
    Sure. Can you paypal me?

I could but I am not going to take seriously anyone that uses dancing bananas ..
    " have you seen a doctor ? No, just dancing bananas"

FYI Ashla was too slow to purchase an SH Moment locally. I think that it waited for about 5 minutes after the ad was placed and by then it was already gone .
    A guy I know bought it...
    Franco

Images

Thank you for not taking me seriously.

I like beer, by the way.

Of course I don't take you seriously.
    Considering your comments on tents, how could I ?

Beer
    Yes but remember that we call Foster's an Export Beer cause we can't stand that stuff.
    Pilsner or Guinness for me (in moderation, on my third I find my ex wife almost attractive)
    Franco

i am 5'8 and have the Fly creek UL1...love it.

i wish it were side entry, but other than that, its been great. pretty light and its a solid, full tent.

actually, my wife (5'2") and i both have slept in it a few nights. not real roomy, but heck. its a dry, bug free, place to sleep! -food hanging outside, extra clothes in sac as a pillow, empty packs at feet.

works for us.

David,

The mods I made on the TT Moment are as follows:

1. grossgrain ribbon ties for both doors were replaced with elaastic loops and plastic toggle buttons. Faster and more secure.

2. sewed elastic W. end loop to the triangular end flaps to hook on the nearby OEM plastic hook. This too is much faster and more secure than the supplied grossgrain ribbons (or ribbands, as Franco may spell it).

3. I cut almost 6" from my crossing pole and melted a 1/4" hole near the apex of the end netting triangles for the crossing pole to pass through. The netting was reinforced with the fuzzy strip of Velcro sewn on before the hole was melted. Then I sewed the hook strip of Velcro above the hole so it hangs down and mates with the other Velcro to keep bugs out when not using the crosssing pole. I moved the crossing pole's OEM hypalon end pocket out a bit past the stake loop to recieve the pole ends. Next, after removing the two Exterior crossing pole straps I sewed Velcro "Wrap Straps" (used to organize eletronic equipment wires) on the Inside of the circular reinforced area where the exterior straps were. This holds the pole in place. At the inside apex below the center arch pole I just hold the crossing pole up W/ the supplied elastic & hooks. All this makes for a much better support of the tent roof (IMHO) in winds because the crossing pole is touching almost the entire tent roof.

4. I coated the top 1/2 of the roof with a 5:1 mix of GE Silicone II caulk and odorless mineral spirits to preclude "misting thru" in a driving thunder storm.

5. Next I'll use the left over grossgrain ribbon to make 4 stake-out loops at the mid points between the ends of the tent and the center hoop (i.e. two loops on each side). This is for VERY heavy winds and may be over-engineering, but nice to have if ever needed.

This last item is my next winter sewing project. All the other mods are finished.

Eric B.

The quick and easy way to secure those grosgrain ribbons or elastic ribbons is to put the working end into the loop twice.
    If you do that they will remain in place.

Franco

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++