WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Best stove for a Mug/Pot?

Got my hands on a 0.7 Varga Ti Mug/Pot. I really like this guy for solo backpacking. Now I have to find a stove for him. The current stove I'm using is a zelph cobalt alky stove, and I probably want to stick with alcohol as a fuel. I just kinda don't like using the stove as a pot support as well...

I REALLY like the idea of the Caldera Cone and I was going to do one DIY. What stove would be BEST for the Caldera setup with this pot? Preferably DIY stove.

Should I just stick with the Cobalt stove? Should I try it unpressurized with the Caldera cone?

I was looking at the Vargo stoves... I like the tri leg feature for different ground set ups. (Not sure how a Caldera Cone might work on different grounds, but I could always use a tradtional windscreen as well.)

I wouldn't mind to have an Esbit option, if possible with my kitchen set-up.

No matter what, I'm sticking with this pot. I just want the best way to heat it. I mostly do weekends and long sections (100+ mi)... maybe one day I'll thru or long section.

All input appreciated,
    DHT

It could be worth talking to the guys at Trail Designs who make Caldera Cones - they designed one specific to my needs a couple of weeks ago. They offered heaps of excellent technical advice as we talked about what I wanted from the system.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Trucker View Post
    I REALLY like the idea of the Caldera Cone and I was going to do one DIY. What stove would be BEST for the Caldera setup with this pot? Preferably DIY stove.
    DHT
    The people that designed the Caldera Cone spent a lot of time experimenting with the best stove design to find one that worked well; I recall that they tried 1000 stove designs before settling on the final one. The Cone makes the stove hotter. For DIY, I'd start out by trying stove designs that are on the slow side so that they might be under better control at the hotter temps inside the cone. Experiment with several different style stoves, with different size holes, etc. Maybe one of the stove gurus here can help.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I have the Vargo Triad XE. It's a great little stove and at 1.7 oz it's hard to beat on weight. I've never tried it with solid fuel but it's a fine alcohol stove. If you want a pot stand there's always a Trangia but it won't be as light as your Cobalt or the Vargo.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

+1 for the caldera cone system.

I've seen it in action several times and it works well with a minimum fuel useage. Plus, the cone shape is stable: no tip over risk with this stove.

The only down side is storing/ carrying the darn thing.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

Should I just stick with the Cobalt stove? Should I try it unpressurized with the Caldera cone?
    No, don't try that route, it will be way too hot.

The modified StarLyte burner would be good for the cone.

I also have a modified StarLyte burner that works well in a confined area such as the DIY cone set-ups. It came into being when I made the cone/Kmart grease pot kit. If there were enough people interested I could make up a dozen of those for all the DIY'ers out there.

I'm also working on a modified Ring of Fire design that fits 3" diameter mugs and the Heineken pot. I'll be showing it here in a few days.

Here is a link that shows the modified StarLyte burner:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ighlight=Zmart

Last edited by zelph; 01-03-2011 at 14:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post

I've seen it in action several times and it works well with a minimum fuel useage. Plus, the cone shape is stable: no tip over risk with this stove.

+2 on Caldera Cones - own two (one for solo and one with-partner setups using 2 different pots) and love em. I made a pepsi-can stove with a similar design to the 12-10 stove that trail designs uses but it did not work as well as theirs.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

You can make a cone caddy out of a plastic soda or gatorade bottle that is much more compact and light than the caddy that Trail Designs uses. Also have a caddy made out of a tall beer can that I can also use as an insulated mug with a reflectix cozy on the outside and a silicone sipper ring for lip protection.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

I'm currently considering a "Choke hazard stove". Never used one but they seem pretty nifty! 16 grams or 0.5oz alcohol stove

Website
    http://www.minibulldesign.com/apps/w...s/show/1512946

Demo Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGPQmJmuGzk&NR=1
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

I would stick with Zelph's stove, they really seem to work well for that sized pot.

Images

I love the Esbit cubes. Boils water in an instant. The fish smell can get sticky, I mean an actual sticky residue. For simplicity sake you can't go wrong. I also use the Esbit stove (not the emergency one). I have heard people complain about the price of the cubes, but I have 3 kids, 2 jobs, and 1 wife. I would love to spend some time in the shop building the perfect alcohol stove- just don't have time. For a pot I have the pot from my old Boy Scout kit. It's aluminum and has a lid and handle, holds 2+ cups. This low budget kit is way under a pound with matches and several cubes. Hey- life is good.

The Sidewinder will pack inside the cookpot.

http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-sidewinder
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

aka Kudzu
    Images

I recently picked up a 700ml pot and it works very well with the Gram Weenie Pro stove which weighs just .7 oz.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org

Images

I used to rock a similar snow peak ti mug with a small tealight stove. Small flame pattern was good for the surface area and with a windscreen I got great boil efficiency.
    -milkman

got soul?

aka Kudzu
    Images

I just picked up a pack of 24 tea light candles at Wally for $1.50. The pattern looks perfect for a Heine but I don't have a stand for that yet. I'll try it out with my 700ml and see how that works. Certainly an incredibly light stove.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

Default Minibulldesign

I have several Minibull stoves and they are all very well thought out and relatively inexpensive.

http://www.minibulldesign.com/apps/w...s/show/1512946

You might want to check out this multi-fuel stove, wood, alcahol,esbit,charcoal, and only 2.5oz. http://fourdog.com/index_files/bushcooker.htm

I love Minibulldesign stoves and have several- but I used the Caldera Cone and their stove for my hike last year. The MBD stoves seem to choke out inside the cone (low oxygen?) and the Caldera stove seemed to perform better. That said- MBD makes some incredible products- hope he designs something for the Caldera at some point.

Default +3 for the caldera

Caldera rocks and won't tip over.
    My other experience is with cat can and whitebox stoves.

Idea to store it in a cut down soda bottle is great.

Images

The Cobalt Blue Soloist was made especially for small pots and mugs.

Give it a try, you will be well pleased.

Or you can do the Skidsteer stove, the mighty "Kitten Stove" right Skids?

++ New Posts ++