WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

After that, PCT maybe? Whatever it is, it won't be an honest day's work.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

I would just attempt to do it after college. Focus on college and all that it encompasses now. I graduated from college in May 2010 and then I started planning my thru-hike. Taking some time off after college can be a good thing.. esp if you're going to go hiking for 6 months after--- it allows for some soul searching...

Images

Quit school and do it now.Just kidding, but you should possibly consider taking a leave of absence after your 2nd yea, do the trail and finish school after.I first considered thru hiking the AT in 1976 and havent done it yet. In 2012, my boss is giving me 3 months off to hike as far north as I can get. always remember"Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans."And an AT thru hike will definitely help on your resume when your ready to enter the workforce.

I go to Penn State also.

I'm taking a leave of absence Spring 2011 to go NOBO in March. PSU makes it really easy to take a semester off. On top of that, there's a chance I'll graduate a semester early... I don't see too many potential problems with this choice.

Yet another warning from a 46 y.o. who is just now getting to take a shot! Take the year off between undergrad and grad school and do it. You can put the money aside and be ready to roll. You get to jump back into grad school with the sense of accomplishment that will come with taking control of your destiny and hiking your own hike.

Images

Your young and will heal fast. There were quite a few thrus going nobo just on their summer break its a tough hike but its definatly acheivable. 24 miles a day with no zeros but you will be able to get above your average a for a couple zeros.

Images

The options that would impact education and career least:

Do the AT over two summers (one summer if you're fast).

Take a semester off, but try to get college credit based on your AT hike. Figure out something you're interested in that has some intellectual content, e.g. ecology of the AT, trail/nomadic culture, etc. Usually you would have to write a proposal first then submit a final report. Talk to your professors, academic advisor and outdoorsy students.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++