WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default college student in need of advice

I am a freshman in college and my goal is to thru hike the entire AT.

My biggest dilemna is when to do it.
    After college I will hopefully be working, so the only time I can envision myself having the time to hike it is during college sometime.

I was wondering was worked for everyone else. When did you find time to hike it?
    I'm thinking between undergrad and grad school.

The second dilemna is whether I should go SOBO or NOBO. I want to go NOBO because of the fellowship of other hikers and the experience. But that would require me to take 2 semesters off college. If I went SOBO I could manage to only take off one semester.

Is NOBO worth it?

Images

I'm in the same position as you. I'm thinking about joining the Peace Corps after college and then thru-hiking after that with the small surplus provided. That could make it difficult to land a job though. The only other option I've got is what you suggested- section hiking over the summer. Problem with this though is I'd really like the summers for making money. Anyway, we'll figure it out I'm sure. Where are you attending? I'm at Dickinson College in PA.
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

depending on your major you could work hard and graduate a semester early. that'll free up the late winter to start a NOBO hike.

I believe that hiking Northbound is worth it...but i also enjoyed the crap out of college and wouldn't have wanted to miss that last semester (it was a blast).

You could also do two thousand mile hikes during your summer breaks. if you really want to hike with the NOBO's start at trail days heading North and stop when you have to go home. Then mop up the rest the following year.

Start saving money and take a photography class to satisfy your fine arts requirement (if you have one). knowing how to use a camera is worth it for more reasons than just hiking the AT.

I'm at penn state.

I could graduate early, but the dilemna is delaying a job. If all goes according to plan ill have a job waiting for me when I graduate.

Images

You know we're about an hour away from each other. Dickinson is also 6 miles from the AT. If you're interested in meeting up sometime for a trip I'm down. Any chance you play Ultimate Frisbee there?

Yeah that's a coincidence. And I played for our B team for a little then ended up resigning.

I would definitely be interested in a trip. Our outing club does a lot of trips in our area.

Images

Oh okay. Yeah I'm on the Jive Turkeys, not sure if you've heard of us, but we played at your home tournament. I haven't gotten too involved with our Outing Club yet for several reasons, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

I actually have a jive turkeys disc

well this is all nice and happy! just came on to say johnney thunder was the one to ask. but he allready beat me to himself. his planning skills are the best. now ill leave you to planning your hikes witch should be mine. i hate you all.if i ever hike i will require your hatred in kind. lol!
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atkriebel View Post
    I actually have a jive turkeys disc
    I probably sold it to you then haha. I was going around selling those discs at the tourney.

Well thanks for everyones input, I will have to figure out my college schedule

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I section hiked the trail during my vacation time in college. I started the summer after my freshman year and ended up finishing the summer after my senior year. It worked out well for me; I always had something to look forward to.

Images

That sounds like a good plan Buff_Jeff. I did a somewhat similar schedule, except working on the trail during the summers during college.

atkriebel, if I had to do it again, I would have just taken a year off and hiked it when the reality first struck me. Instead I have been slowly meandering towards my goal of a 2011 thru, although the wait will surely be worth it! Good luck with your planning.
    -milkman

got soul?

You can always delay your hiking for the almighty Work and then you can be like me and wake up in your 40s and wonder is this all there is to life and go hike then.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You can always delay your hiking for the almighty Work and then you can be like me and wake up in your 40s and wonder is this all there is to life and go hike then.
    Dang, that sounds familiar to me.

Images

The statistics say that you won't make it very far if you do attempt a thru hike. Because of this, I wouldn't alter my life greatly if I were you. It would be a shame to put off grad school for a year and drop off the trail after 3 days. Sorry that this came off as so negative...i know every situation/hiker is different.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. For the first 35 years of my life I spelled dilemma with a silent 'n' instead of the second 'm'. I thought I was the only one. I still prefer our spelling. 'Dilemma' just looks wrong.

Take the job. Get student debt down, manage it, then quit your job in a few years and go hiking.
    Yahtzee

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

Ha ha yeppers that was me too.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    The statistics say that you won't make it very far if you do attempt a thru hike. Because of this, I wouldn't alter my life greatly if I were you. It would be a shame to put off grad school for a year and drop off the trail after 3 days. Sorry that this came off as so negative...i know every situation/hiker is different.
    Makes total sense.

I waited 30 plus years.

Section hike is a great way to experience the AT.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I'm in the same position as you. I'm thinking about joining the Peace Corps after college and then thru-hiking after that with the small surplus provided. That could make it difficult to land a job though. The only other option I've got is what you suggested- section hiking over the summer. Problem with this though is I'd really like the summers for making money. Anyway, we'll figure it out I'm sure. Where are you attending? I'm at Dickinson College in PA.
    I'm going SOBO after graduation. Halfway through I'm putting in my application to the Peace Corps. After that I'm finishing whatever grad school I don't finish in the Corps.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++