WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is this boot right for me? L.L. Bean Gore-Tex Cresta Hikers (Leather)?

Hey y'all,

Week-long lurker, first-time poster.

[Cliffs notes: what's your opinion of the boot in the title?]

[Long version]
    I'm new to the backpacking thing, only been doing it seriously now for about 6 months and it's time to invest in a pair of quality hiking boots to section-hike the AT. I have a pretty flexible budget, so I'm willing to plop down $250 if it's needed but I'd really like to keep it under $200 if possible.

I received a $100 LL Bean gift certificate for Christmas so I'm looking at some of their boots. Although I'm 25 and in good health, my ankles are weak due to countless sprains and rolls from basketball (most recent trouble 1 1/2 years ago when the doctor told me I had "maybe the worst sprain [he] has ever seen"). I'm also a pretty big dude, 5'11" 210 lb., very upper-body heavy (tons of weightlifting...and maybe some eating too ). Also, I am clumsy as hell, and when hiking with any kind of speed will trip and have to catch my balance at least once per mile.

With those factors in, my local outfitter strongly recommended I suck it up and get a full-grian leather boot to protect my ankles. At first I really didn't want to. I don't like having hot feet and full grain leather is expensive. So what I'd like to know is,

1) If you're familiar with it, what do you think of the boot?
    2) If you don't like it/think there's something better, what do you recommend?
    3) Is a full-grain boot necessary?

Thanks for all the help!

Contrary to outfitters theory that a high ankle boot offers more support, this is false. What tends to happen with a high ankle boot, certainly a leather one, is that when you stumble your ankle will go one way (horizontal) and the high ankle support will stay vertical, causing a bigger injury when you roll your ankle.

My advise-- AT during 3-season conditions, use a trail runner-- this way you shoe rolls *with* your ankle and not against and combine that with an ankle or full length gaitor depending on conditions.

The only time I have a "real" boot is for the Colorado winter and even then it is less about ankle protection and more about insulation since it is my snowshoes and crampons that provide the traction and not the boot.

Blessed is the life that finds joy in the journey! ashleigh22's Avatar

I personally think that you should try a few different types of boots. You have to decide what is most comfortable for you and your needs. I tried on about 20 pairs of boots before I found the ones that gave me the most support and comfort. It's a personal choice, really. As for leather, I would think they weigh a hell of a lot more and I wouldn't say they are worth it.. but again, your choice. Leather tends to not be very breathable either.. Just my two cents. Good luck!

I prefer synthetic material in footwear for long distance hiking. Lot's of hikers advocate trail runners as mentioned but my ankles just couldn't take them. Got much better comfort from the Keen Targhee II. Never got any blisters either. Your feet may be different.

My experience with waterproofing material (GoreTex or proprietary) is they only tend to last between 7-10 days in continuous wet conditions before breaching so weigh the cost differences before deciding.

Good luck!

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Ll bean boot

Hi, Having thru-hiked wearing Montrail AT Hiker boots so I'm a fan of regular hiking boots and not trail runners.
    I met several hikers during my thru the were using the LL Bean Cresta Hiker boots and were having good luck with them.
    I brought a pair and have had them for about 5 years now. Probably put 4 to 5 hundred miles on them. like them a lot and you just can't beat the LL Bean Guarentee.
    Grampie-N->2001

I've got bad ankles as well and here's the thing that worked for me. I use Montrail trail runners with lace up ankle braces. The ankle braces will protect you much better than a high top boot. The braces I use are at

http://www.braceshop.com/productcart...e-186p1514.htm

Images

I have the Cresta GTX hikers and LOVE them. you will get all kinds of trail runners are best / low hiker boots are best / high boots suck / high boots are the best comments from the crowd here.

buy what works for YOU. They are LL Bean, if you get them and don't like them, they will give you your money back
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

I used the Cresta GTX for thirty day section hikes over several years. The boot is a very comfortable and holds up well. The only negative is they are a bit heavy but they give great support, traction and stability.

Bottom line is that if the boot doesn't fit your foot, it's not a good boot (for you).

Once again let me say that shoe height has nothing to do with ankle support. That said, I knew two thru hikers who wore Cresta boots and loved them for durability and comfort. Oddly enough, both of them left Damascus heading north in trail runners. I'm afraid you're going to have to experiment yourself on this one.

litefoot 2000

Images

You'll get a lot of opinions for sure.
    I had a pair of these about a decade ago and wasn't pleased with them. I thought the midsole need some beefing up. It felt painful to the bottoms of my feet over the miles. Having had Danner and Merrell FGL mountaineering boots prior to this, I never noticed it until I switched to the bean for a lighter boot. Otherwise, I have worn trail runners and Asolo FGL Boots for the past decade and am very pleased with both from a midsole/bottom foot soreness perspective.

Be prepared to try a lot of boots in order to find that magical pair. It's hard to do from a mail order perspective, but if you do order them - Don't wear them outside, so you can return them if you don't like the fit after a week or so.
    Trail runners or leather boots is a personal preference - But you might end up with both for starters and then gravitate towards one or the other over time.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Pilgrim of Serendipity

If I may make a completely different suggestion...

Rather than focusing all your efforts on finding a shoe/ boot that supports your ankle, consider doing some work to get your ankles to support themselves, and learning to walk in such a way that you stay balanced and reduce your risk of rolling.

This takes more work, but I believe it's worth it in the long run. Imagine you're recovering from a broken leg, and your leg is fully supported in a walking cast. That's all well and good while the injury heals, but sooner or later you want to do physical therapy so that your leg can function normally without being dependent on the cast, right? If you wear the cast indefinitely, sooner or later your leg atrophies and can't function without it. Exercise strengthens the leg so that it can once again be self-supporting.

You CAN make your ankles stronger and improve your balance if you work on it. If you want to understand the mechanics of the foot, ankle, knee, and hip, and how they all work together, I highly recommend The Barefoot Book by Daniel Howell. (Disclaimer: I contributed a few paragraphs to this book in the testimonials section.) It will also give you some idea of how to go about strengthening your ankles.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

I also have issues with spraining my ankles I've tryed light hikers and while they worked I found the full leather uppers gave more support and stablity then the lighter hikers. I've also found that a good pair of insoles that have a decent heal cup help with ankle instabilty I have noticed too that gortex seems to hold up better with the full leather boots as opposed to mixed material boots.
    "Work sucks! I'm going to the mountains."

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by bruchko View Post
    I've got bad ankles as well and here's the thing that worked for me. I use Montrail trail runners with lace up ankle braces. The ankle braces will protect you much better than a high top boot. The braces I use are at

http://www.braceshop.com/productcart...e-186p1514.htm
    Did you need to adjust your shoe size to compensate for the room the brace takes up? I wore won when I last sprained my ankle and I didn't need to go up a shoe size but it was close (and it increased the size of the shoe).

Everyone's feet are different but I got the fabric/leather version of these last summer and they are fantastic. Good support which is what I needed. Wore them around home for a few days before hitting the trail and they were totally broken in.

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush View Post
    Rather than focusing all your efforts on finding a shoe/ boot that supports your ankle, consider doing some work to get your ankles to support themselves, and learning to walk in such a way that you stay balanced and reduce your risk of rolling.
    I second this. A simple thing I do is to stand on one leg several times during the day. Pay attention and you'll notice how your entire leg and foot work together to keep your balance. Does wonders to strengthen the little muscles and improves your balance and auto-recovery from a twist or roll.

You can do this while talking on the phone, doing the dishes, taking a quick break at work. Whenever.

two things,
    the suggestion about strengthening joints cannot be overstated ... muscles grow on the trail but joints take months to beef up...

... when i hurt my ankle on my last PCT trip my doctor told me i injured my ankle BECAUSE i wear tall boots all day and the ankle muscles atrophied... so when i switched to runners for the trail my ankle couldn't take the sudden workload.

my work requires me to wear a heavy duty boot . . . and it's made my ankles weak over time.

my personal experience... wear runner a lot before you switch to them on the trail. that said, the weight difference is well worth it if you can get a sub 15lb or so baseweight.

Images

Addressing your feet becoming hot in a leather boot...the week (yes only 1 week) I wore leather boots, my feet would sweat so much the leather on top of the boot showed moisture where the sweat wicked thru the boot. Believe me, HOT feet. If you do get a boot, get a synthetic for breathability.
    Turtle2

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

With ankle weakness you are much better off strengthening your ankles with a wobble board (which you can buy at Dicks) and other exercises then relying on ankle braces or boots. I hiked the trail twice in trail runners having multiple past ankle sprains.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Take thine self to Phillip Gall's or JH Lanmark and get fitted, for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++