WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Port Clinton Parking

Is there a safe place to leave a car in Port Clinton for 4 or 5 days??

Journal Entries
    Images

not sure - both places have a lot of window glass on the ground from the past - I have parked across the bridge at the enterance to the locomotive museum.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Default Port Clinton Parking

Thanks for the reply....window glass is not usually a good sign

Images

Broken window glass or a lack thereof should not be something that influences one's plans. If you want current information about vandalism, I suggest you contact the Hamburg barracks of Pennsylvania State Police.

I park both locations without incident. The longer you park, the greater risk you assume as with all places. If you intend to park for an extended period of time, it may be worth making more secure parking arrangements.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I parked for there 2 years ago for a week long section hike with no problems. I parked across the tracks in the railroad yard, there was a sign designating parking. I wouldn't park off the main road (RT 61?) though, I did see lots of broken glass there.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I parked for there 2 years ago for a week long section hike with no problems. I parked across the tracks in the railroad yard, there was a sign designating parking. I wouldn't park off the main road (RT 61?) though, I did see lots of broken glass there.
    I've parked at the Railroad lot ( in the gravel lot not near the bldgs) for several days many times and never had a problem.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

I have parked in a residential area, near houses where people would walk by every day, almost like you are there visiting. Never a problem.

nobody parks across the tracks. park anywhere in town at all. on street parking right down from 61 is the safest. the prime spots are the post office, the bar and the steep streets comming off 61.there is no car break ins in port. dont know what glass ment. a theif couldnt get away with it cause theres dogs barking the minute you make a sound at night. please keep off the grass in front of the pavillion. the forest sevice parking lot on resivor road rear of hamburg is also safe.
    matthewski

Images

you could also probably ask a manager at cabellas and leave your ride there...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

Default Hamburg's Reservoir Road trailhead

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    the forest service parking lot on reservoir road rear of hamburg is also safe.
    Borough of Hamburg owns and patrols the lot. USFS doesn't own or have anything to do with it. I don't know the exact size of NPS's tract on which Windsor Furnace Shelter is situated, but it's quite small.

Much of the Appalachian Trail between SR 61 and Hawk Mountain Road in Albany Township traverses Hamburg's watershed with their consent.

Anyone with questions about ownership of A.T. corridor lands in Pennsylvania is advised to refer to Keystone Trails Association's maps issued with Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania available from KTA or ATC.
    Last edited by emerald; 12-31-2010 at 12:10.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    you could also probably ask a manager at cabellas and leave your ride there...
    They won't and will tow your car. I asked and they said it was town law.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

They will pick you up from the Pavilion and take you to Cabelas and back for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    They won't and will tow your car. I asked and they said it was town law.

WOW! I parked there 2 years ago for 4 days WITH permission. You never know from one day to the next. I did Email the main office for permission, maybe that's why.

Images

We assume risks wherever we go every day and information here isn't necessarily accurate or current.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    We assume risks wherever we go every day and information here isn't necessarily accurate or current.
    Not necessarily inaccurate either and likely a good starting point for
    someone miles away.

thanks for all replies

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    nobody parks across the tracks. park anywhere in town at all. on street parking right down from 61 is the safest. the prime spots are the post office, the bar and the steep streets comming off 61.there is no car break ins in port. dont know what glass ment. a theif couldnt get away with it cause theres dogs barking the minute you make a sound at night. please keep off the grass in front of the pavillion. the forest sevice parking lot on resivor road rear of hamburg is also safe.
    Broken glass doesn't biodegrade - it stays there forever...the pieces may get smaller from being driven over/walked on, but unless someone picks them up, they will be there for your kids' kids to wonder about.

I'm sure that some of this glass was from break-ins (this sort of thing happens everywhere - even in towns), but I know that the State Police do occassionally patrol the parking lot along the southbound side of Rt. 61. This area was once a DUMP that was cleaned up in 1988 by BMECC and ATC/NPS, and there was a fair amount of broken glass in this area that simply could not be picked up without bulldozing a large amount of topsoil from the area. (It was tough enough getting rid of the old leaking barrels of chemicals from this site!)

The small parking area just off of northbound Rt. 61 at Mountain Rd. is mostly for hunters/dayhikers. Much of this area has been "bouldered off" to keep folks from using it as parking area to access the river for swimming (due to a number of drowning deaths over the years). The parking area at the railroad would be a much safer option, IMHO.

The parking lot at the Hamburg Reservior is by permission of the Borough of Hamburg (dayhikers are okay, but overnight parking requires making advance arrangements with the Borough Secretary at the office at 61 North 3rd Street, Hamburg (610)562-7821 during normal business hours. (These folks are okay, they just want to know who is using their watershed land, which is understandable.)
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

I parked at the parking area at the 61 bridge. There was only room for one, maybe two vehicles since they are doing construction and the road crew is using the parking area. Didn't have any issues, have I in the past using the same spot.

Images

Bumpa - I just noticed that you're from Canada. Try this e-mail address for Hamburg, if you're interested: [email protected] . That's the Borough's general e-mail address.

Southbound, this location would add about 7-8 miles of hiking to your trip.

In Port Clinton itself, I can't offer any concrete leads.

Emerald, does the Port Clinton Hotel have an e-mail address? (Or the Port Clinton Peanut Shop? Or St. John's UCC ?)
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

NOR have I in the past using the same spot. Sorry, too quick to post w/o checking it 1st.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    I parked at the parking area at the 61 bridge. There was only room for one, maybe two vehicles since they are doing construction and the road crew is using the parking area. Didn't have any issues, have I in the past using the same spot.
    The road crew appears to be done, for now....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++