WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Older Female Thru-hikers

After a lifetime of dreaming of this, I will be starting my thru-hike in mid-March--and will be turning 62 one month later. I would love to hear thoughts/suggestions on how to maximize my chance of success as an older female hiker. I am starting in mid-March to give myself as much time as possible to complete the hike, as I am worried about over-use injuries from pushing too hard. Other tips? Thoughts about what to do--or not do?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lady View Post
    After a lifetime of dreaming of this, I will be starting my thru-hike in mid-March--and will be turning 62 one month later. I would love to hear thoughts/suggestions on how to maximize my chance of success as an older female hiker. I am starting in mid-March to give myself as much time as possible to complete the hike, as I am worried about over-use injuries from pushing too hard. Other tips? Thoughts about what to do--or not do?
    Redhat hiked last year. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6738
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Go at your own speed.

Make sure to get protein - I started to take a scoop of protein powder mixed with water as soon as I finished hiking each day - it makes a huge difference on your leg recovery for the next day.

I did mail drop/bump box with proten powder to make sure I could get it.

Have fun !

Welcome to the forum

There is a gold mind of information and advice here.

Don't try to do to much to fast as you start out. And remember, you don't have to do it all at one time. If it stops being fun take a break.

I have been hiking on the AT for 10+ years and still have not completed all of it. The best part, is the people you will meet, and I get to meet new ones every year.

Good Luck HYOH

TZ
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post

I second contacting Red Hat. I had the opportunity to hike with her in Maine. She is a wonderful lady. A trail legend if I may be so bold!

Also, contact the Tag Team from 09, Tagless and Tagalong. They were my trail parents while hiking. Wealth of information.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7755

So excited for you!

Go slow, take your time and enjoy every step that you can. Most older hikers ( I am 57) get discouraged due to injuries from trying too much too soon or because they can't keep up with the youngsters and feel like they are falling behind. I used to hike very fast and loved it as it afforded alot of zero days for me...now I get pissed at my slower pace until I realized that I probably never will get faster so I enjoy every view, every step, every camp. It is definitely a mind thing...slow isn't bad...it's more interesting. It took me a while to learn that. Anyway, contacting Redhat is a great idea. Learn much prior to your hike and then just enjoy the walk. Good luck.
    geek

Hiking poles will help your knees and make things like creek crossings and fallen trees easier to deal with. They will also prevent a lot of falls from tripping over rocks. Take ibuprofen before going to bed (about 1/2 hour before) even if you don't feel strong pain. It will allow you to go to sleep, which minor muscle aches might prevent. If you are planning to sleep in the shelters, then bring a good sleeping pad. Those wooden floors can be hard to deal with. Similarly, if you shelter, bring ear plugs. Light pack - not ultralight, at least starting out, but as light as is consistent with safety and your level of comfort. Finally, do as much hiking and other conditioning as you can between now and your start date. The better shape you are in, the more you will enjoy those first few weeks, and the better chance you will have of finishing the journey.

I've meet and hiked with some pretty tough old ladies on the trail.

You might want to start a little later than mid March. Waiting just 2 more weeks until April 1st or there abouts can make a significant improvement in the weather. Bad weather at the start of a thruhike is a big factor in people quiting early. Hopefully you are flexable enough in the schedule to make that call when the time comes given the conditions and forcast at the time. If there is a lot of late season snow in NC like last year, you will want to start later.

Take every chance you can to do slack packing. This can run into some extra money, but lets you go a little farther and faster then you otherwise might with a full pack. Consider it a working vacation where you get to spend an extra day or two at the hostel and bulk up eating real food.

Most importantly, get in good shape before you leave! Work out in the gym, walk as much as possible and find a tall building and climb thier stairs a couple times a week. (You might have to cross the river to Boston to do that :-)

Finally - never, ever try to keep up with the youngsters!

I'm planing on starting another long section hike at Springer late March, so might meet up with you at some point.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Honestly I would start as early as possible to give you a better chance to complete the trail. That way you can take time with low miles to start, take the zeros you need in towns to recuperate, etc.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

First, thanks to KK and Grommet for the exaggerated kudos. I am just another old hiker. I hiked from GA to ME last year, but got off when I reached a final section (from 3rd mtn to Katahdin) that I had already done. Take it slow like everyone says. I disagree about the gym, though. Just get out and walk. Lots! It will be tough the first week or so in GA no matter what kind of training you do beforehand.

Get your pack as light as you can to start. Don't sacrifice your safety, but don't take luxuries. Use trekking poles. Go to town to warm up, eat, and rest. Don't try to keep up with the younguns (you'll be tempted because they are so much fun)

Have someone you can call to encourage you when you are down. I called Heartfire from NY when I wanted to go home and she told me to get my rear back out there for myself and for all the hikers depending on me.

I took some road walks and blueblazes when I was hurting and wanting to quit. That kept me moving along instead of going home. I also didn't apply for 2000 miler status because I can't say that I hiked the whole AT. I feel like I did what I needed to do. There are a couple of places I missed that I wiill go back and hike.

Most of all, be kind, keep your head, and have fun.
    Last edited by Red Hat; 12-30-2010 at 19:08.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    First, thanks to KK and Grommet for the exaggerated kudos. I am just another old hiker..
    Please tell me 63 isn't old...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair. ~Douglas MacArthur

Images

You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair. ~Douglas MacArthur
    but my favorite of all.........
    Age does not diminish the extreme disappointment of having a scoop of ice cream fall from the cone. ~Jim Fiebig

but my favorite of all.........
    Age does not diminish the extreme disappointment of having a scoop of ice cream fall from the cone. ~Jim Fiebig
    That's a good one...

I'm about to turn 50 and I'm just getting warmed up. I'd hate to think I've only got 10-15 more good years. (of course you never know what tomorrow might bring, but you know what I mean....)

Images

Default no it's not

it may not be old, but it sure isn't young.... I'm always thinking about my next adventure. this year I want to do the Camino de Santiago in Spain... then next year the Israeli trail. But I plan on spending a good bit of time around the AT giving back.

But, back to the topic at hand - the best overall advice I could give to any prospective hiker is this:

Stop at the first sign of foot trouble and take care of it.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

God I hope not!
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

But, back to the topic at hand - the best overall advice I could give to any prospective hiker is this:

Stop at the first sign of foot trouble and take care of it.
    my feet hurt on the approach trail.LOL many people say shakedown hikes are worthless, this time of year i think they are great. make it now you can make it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    it may not be old, but it sure isn't young.... I'm always thinking about my next adventure. this year I want to do the Camino de Santiago in Spain... then next year the Israeli trail. But I plan on spending a good bit of time around the AT giving back.
    A few years ago the same 67 year old man finished right in front of me 3 5k races in a row. I know the body ages and all that but I do think you can "make yourself old in the head" and really limit yourself that way.

Even at my age I have friends who are begging off doing things because they feel like they're too old to do them.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I met Red Hat in Damascus when I had breakfast with her and Larry Riddle. My hat's off to her. A remarkable lady.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++