WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New gear for old hikers -- big 4 plus a couple

Hi All,

My wife and I are coming off a 10 year backpacking hiatus and are looking to re-do our gear from what we used in the Colorado high country during the 1990's to hiking on the AT in Virginia where we now live. We'll mostly be doing 30 to 60 mile chunks of the AT with the slight possibility of a thru-hike in a couple years or so. We'll be using the gear from April through late September. The goal is to be out hiking with a total pack weight of about 30lbs for me and 25lbs for her including food and fuel.

I'm 45, 6'2", and 215lbs. My wife is 5'10" and weighs a lot less. Both in good shape. We tend to do most of our hiking together. With all the post Christmas sales and coupons going on, here's some of the major gear we're thinking about replacing.

1. Switching out our Sierra Designs Stretch Dome 4 season tent for a Tarptent Rainshadow 2. 9lbs to about 2.5lbs.

2. Replace our old Peak 1 Feather 442 dual fuel stove and pot for a Caldera Cone keg alcohol stove and pot. 2.5lbs to about 8oz.

3. We use a Marmot Moraine semi-retangular Dryloft shelled sleeping bag and a cloth coupler. Total weight with stuff sack is 4lbs 14oz. I think we'll keep using this as it's only 2.5 lbs each and is very warm, roomy, and comfortable. Long sized bag by itself is 3lbs 7oz.

4. Switch our packs from a pair of large sized Dana Design's Terraplanes to one ULA Circuit ( for me ) and one ULA OHM ( for her ). A weight drop from 8lbs each to about 3lbs each. NOTE: Final pack types will be based on actual purchased gear weight and volume but the ULA's should work if I meet my goals.

5. Switch our old orange Thermarests for new NeoAir's. 2.5lbs each to about 1 pound each.

and my favorite one of all...

6. Drop heavy leather boots, crampons, ice ax, etc for a single pairs of 14oz. trail runners and some Leki corklite trekking poles!!!

Let me know what you think -- especially as it relates to a couple hiking together in somewhat warm weather on the southern AT.

There is a bunch of other gear related stuff ( clothing etc. ) I need to check on but I'll do that in separate posts.

Thanks,

George

Images

I'm still pretty new to this backpacking thing but it sounds like you are on the right track to lighten up. I bought a ULA Catalyst and am totally satisfied with it. Don't think you can go wrong ULA packs, haven't heard anyone putting them down.

Since I hike alone I went with the Tarptent Moment and have to say they are also a great company to deal with. Good luck and see you on the trail.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds good George. Good selections. Weight is in ounces though, so watch your other necessities that can quickly add up

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Hi George
    I just got all excited about a couple of extra bits of gear that arrived yesterday so I expect that you should be a lot more excited to get all those new toys.
    We have similar taste.
    I have both the first and the current versions of the Circuit. The old works very well at 25 or so lbs but can do 35 or so. The new one (roll top) is slightly larger too.
    Haven't used that apart for some quick tests.

My Caldera Cone is the TiTri version from TiGoat, 550ml. I like the wood burning option.
    The 750ml would be the closest to the Keg set up, but for two maybe the 900 would be better (?)
    The Neo works well for me too and of course I use the TT shelters but only the solo versions.
    (the Rainshadow is BIG)
    Franco

Something else to consider about the Rainshadow is that you enter from the front. A model like the Double Rainbow has dual doors, one on each side. Some prefer that.

Images

Go under forum and check out the articles section of whiteblaze there is a lot of good information there that will help.

Looks like a lot of fine choices to me; my one comment is along the line of what Rocket Jones said. My wife and I use a Tarptent Squall 2, which is quite similar to the Rainshadow 2. Overall we like it fine, but indeed, the one thing she misses from our previous (heavier, double walled) tent is the dual side entry. For one of us to get up during the night, it's more likely that the other will be disturbed, and particularly for the person sleeping away from where the mesh door opens.

What you might consider instead is Lightheart Duo. Weight is 2 pounds (not including stakes or two required trekking poles), and this is a double walled (not single walled) tent with dual side door entry.

I'm buying the cuben version of their Solo, so don't have personal experience with this tent yet, but have read a lot of positive reviews, and I had the pleasure of meeting Judy (who designed and makes these) at Trail Days this year in Damascus. The particularly cool thing about this tent, apart from the double wall (at single wall weight) is the ability to roll up those walls for clear but buggy nights. It's a pretty roomy tent too, with nice headroom where you want it; with the Squall or Rainshadow you have to sort of scoot your butt to the entrance of the tent to sit upright --- not a big deal, but I prefer the way the Lightheart Duo puts the headroom in the middle.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Hi All,

Thanks for the quick replies. Having looked at a bunch of the articles and elswhere on WB I was pretty sure I was on the right track but you never know. I really appreciate the real world use reports on things like how a pack rides at a certain weight or single/double doors on a tent for two people on the AT. I'll try to look into those things a bit further. I probably need to check into the large footprint of the Rainshadow 2 and how easy it is going to be to find a place for it along the trail. Also, it appears I need to study up on the different options that the Caldera Cone offers. I do need a pot system that would work well for two people.

Thanks for the info,

George

Images

This is Judy from LightHeart Gear. To clarify a few things mentioned above the LightHeart Duo is a 'hybrid' tent, 2 walls are double and 2 walls are single, So, it is not a true double wall tent, The Duo does not convert to the 'Star Gazing Mode' the way the Solo tent does. The Duo weighs 2 lb, has 2 doors - side entry and as soon as I can get a tent up outside and get pictures, I will have the "wedge' up on the website. This is a way I modify the fly so it can be set up as an awning - gives you room to cook under the fly, leave it up in the awning position for continuous views even in the rain. each wedge flap adds about 2 ounces to the total weight of the tent, the duo can have one or both sides of the fly modified. The wedge/awning does require an extra pole. This is not an issue if both hikers sharing the tent use hiking poles.

Judy aka HeartFire of LightHeart Gear http://www.lightheartgear.com

You might want to reconsider on the backpacks. You can do a lot better coming in about 4 lbs + or - a little bit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    This is Judy from LightHeart Gear. To clarify a few things mentioned above the LightHeart Duo is a 'hybrid' tent, 2 walls are double and 2 walls are single, So, it is not a true double wall tent, The Duo does not convert to the 'Star Gazing Mode' the way the Solo tent does. The Duo weighs 2 lb, has 2 doors - side entry and as soon as I can get a tent up outside and get pictures, I will have the "wedge' up on the website. This is a way I modify the fly so it can be set up as an awning - gives you room to cook under the fly, leave it up in the awning position for continuous views even in the rain. each wedge flap adds about 2 ounces to the total weight of the tent, the duo can have one or both sides of the fly modified. The wedge/awning does require an extra pole. This is not an issue if both hikers sharing the tent use hiking poles.

Judy aka HeartFire of LightHeart Gear http://www.lightheartgear.com
    Nice looking tents
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by jtbradyl View Post
    You might want to reconsider on the backpacks. You can do a lot better coming in about 4 lbs + or - a little bit.
    Huh? Four pounds total isn't bad.

List looks good to me. I'd look at the Western Mountaineering bag with a coupler.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

George,
    My wife has a Circuit and I have an Ohm. Both very good choices. Cooking for two you might want to look at the tri-ti sidewinder with the 1.3 ltr pot. That pot is perfect for two people.

Images

Default why?

Quote Originally Posted by jtbradyl View Post
    If their stuff can fit in the Circuit and Ohm, great! Otherwise, maybe a Catalyst and a Circuit would do. but I recommend the ULA packs for sure!

Images

The Tarptent Rainshadow II is a nice tent, with plenty of room for two hikers and gear. We owned the original version and used it hiking with our daughter. Since then we've bought a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo, which I love. Two doors, two big vestibules, and no seams in the roof canopy. The interior volume is simply incredible. For a big guy like me, it's great.

Has your wife tried the ULA Packs? Mine has, and they didn't fit her the way she likes. I have an Ohm, and it's a great pack, but I would recommend that she try on some Osprey packs, especially the women's versions.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Hi again All,

Excellent information! I really appreciate you all taking the time to help with this.

Looking through the forums it looks like the Caldera Cone Sidewinder with the 1.3L Ti pot is a beautiful set up for two people hiking together. Also has a wood burning option. Thanks for the tip. I think this is what we'll get.

Most seem to like the NeoAir's so we'll get those. Plus they will fit our existing sleeping bag coupler system.

I'm still leaning towards the Tarptent Rainshadow 2 for a few reasons. One, we are somewhat tall people and this tent gives us a lot of room for both ourselves and our gear. Getting in and out in the middle of the night shouldn't be a big issue because the entryway is so large and the tent is so wide ( 92" wide or 78" wide with the floor up ). Also, I tend to throw off a lot of moisture while I sleep and I'm hoping that the large interior volume of the Rainshadow 2 combined with the big front door will allow us to use a single wall tent without getting wet. Let me know if I'm wrong about any of this.

I think we'll, at least, start out with our existing sleeping bag system. I do love the look of the WM bags as well as some of the other makers. I'm curious about one thing. Nobody seems to talk about shell materials anymore in regards to sleeping bags. My 17 year old Dryloft shelled Marmot down bag was always great because it never got wet -- you could sit in it in the snow and it would stay dry. The one 3 week AT hike I did 25 years ago between Springer and Fontana dam taught me that backpacking day after day in the rain is a reality. I'm concerned about keeping a down bag dry if the side or footbox gets pressed up against the tent wall. -- Do the new bags all use some sort of water repellant coating or is there some new shell material that is so ubiquitous that nobody even thinks about it anymore? A spray coating maybe? Just curious.

Trailrunners and trekking poles are a go. Really looking forward to these items. Goodby heavy boots!

The backpacks will be the last items purchased based on the weight and volume of the other gear we purchase. Looking forward to trying out a ULA but am not 100% married to the idea. Could end up with another maker depending on fit of the backpack and weight. ( I remember having the main stay in the Dana Designs Terraplane custom bent by our outfitter in Colorado so I know that custom fitting in addition to hip belts and shoulder straps can make a big difference in how a pack rides and feels -- I'll have to check into this with ULA )

Let me know what you think of my list for a couple hiking together on the AT. I'm also aware that talking about gear isn't the same as using it for a year in the field and finding out what really works for each individual person. Just looking for a good starting point.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to send a reply. Happy New Year!

George

Journal Entries
    Images

George Also checkout Zpacks.com, Another website for UL gear and i see your thinking of Tarptent. Great I order a single from henry for my thru. Also you have
    mountain Laural design another producer. Just options for you. Good luck!!!
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

George
    I shot a video of the Rainshadow II.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNf837Dl1B0
    This is showing a set up for 3 so of course for two you will have more space inside for packs and to spread your gear out.
    As you can see it is easy enough for me to get in and out with the poles straight, but I am only 55.
    Easier if you spread them out a bit. .
    As far as getting out at night, the zip is a two way job, so if you zip the door up with the sliders at the center (that is at the bottom) you then just open your side of the door.
    Franco

George,
    When you have taken a few trips with your new gear make sure you write up a trip report with pictures and post it. Here is a link to pictures from some of my trips.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1948n/sets/ Have a great time.

Garlic
    Images

Excellent plan to get the packs last. My only thought on your list was that the packs might be slight overkill. They're the best packs out there, for sure, but with the light loads you're talking about you might do OK with Z-packs or Gossamer Gear, saving a few ounces and a few dollars.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++